PDA

View Full Version : Are you obsessed with ULF?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Petzi
05-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Uh, most of the people posting on this topic, those frequenting the Large Format forums, a number of fine artists, etc, etc.

I know, but they are all more or less obsessed.

Alex Hawley
05-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Think we got a troll here.

jmdavis
05-20-2007, 12:07 AM
Think we got a troll here.

But his negs are big!!! Well, big compared to 35mm or maybe 6x4.5 but I don't think that they are big as compared to 4x5, 5x7, or 8x10, not to mention 7x17, 8x20, 11x14, 12x20, or 20x24. I guess it's big like in big Guinea Pig or big beagle not big thoroughbred or big drafthorse.

Mike

Petzi
05-20-2007, 12:20 AM
But his negs are big!!! Well, big compared to 35mm or maybe 6x4.5 but I don't think that they are big as compared to 4x5, 5x7, or 8x10, not to mention 7x17, 8x20, 11x14, 12x20, or 20x24. I guess it's big like in big Guinea Pig or big beagle not big thoroughbred or big drafthorse.

Mike

What is a drafthorse?

Yes, my negs are big. I shoot 8x10" by the way, and have a proper horizontal enlarger for that.

Alex Hawley
05-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Yes, my negs are big. I shoot 8x10" by the way, and have a proper horizontal enlarger for that.

What's wrong with vertical 8x10 enlargers? There can be an unbalanced light intensity loss due to bellows sag on horizontal enlargers.

Petzi
05-20-2007, 12:36 AM
What's wrong with vertical 8x10 enlargers? There can be an unbalanced light intensity loss due to bellows sag on horizontal enlargers.

Maybe with a badly designed enlarger, but not with the Durst. Definitely no bellows sag.

Vertical 8x10" enlargers need a high ceiling, at least 3 meters. I don't have that in my basement or anywhere else in my house.

Also, with a horizontal enlarger, you can make larger prints on the wall. Normally, you don't shoot 8x10" to make small prints.

Alex Hawley
05-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Oh well, its something I thought I'd obsess about. ;)

Jim Fitzgerald
05-20-2007, 01:07 AM
I see the thread I started has become obsessed!! Look at the posts and the amount of views. It is a wonderful obsession this ULF! Sandy, you most certainly get it!!

Jim

colrehogan
05-20-2007, 08:27 AM
I have thought about larger cameras, but have not been able to decide what format I would go to next if I were to move up (8x20, 14x17 or 12x20 have been thoughts). I have enough stuff to shoot with the whole plate, 8x10, and 5x12 right now.

Tom Stanworth
05-23-2007, 06:58 AM
I think if I was going to shoot ULF I would want to go REALLY big. I am sure some love 11x14, but it is not that much bigger than 10x8 in some respects but all of a sudden you cannot enlarge, holders cost a bomb. I would find a 12x20, 16x20 or 20x24 kinda interesting. The idea of producing s 20x24 contact, larger than most enlarge to be incredible. I would see it as a portrait machine really. I cannot wait to see some big contacts for teh first time....in fact yes I can. I will prob end up wanting one. The size of my huge enlargers and the paraphenalia sometimes makes me wonder whether a whopper camera would help me cut down on kit ;)

Tom

RobertP
05-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Don't forget to consider 20 x 24 wet plates. You can do ambrotypes and negatives that are grain free. If your going to dream...might as well dream big.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't forget to consider 20 x 24 wet plates. You can do ambrotypes and negatives that are grain free. If your going to dream...might as well dream big.

Robert, how about huge!!! I wonder how heavy that system would be??

Jim

Zebra
05-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I shoot 20 x 24 Wet Plate and yes they are grainless sights to behold--at least the ones I don't screw up that is. Just don't play any Hendricks while pouring the collodion or he starts to make sense. My camera goes about 55 lbs, the wet plate holder goes about 15 lbs or so, the Dallmeyer lenses for the format average about 8lbs, some more, some less and the investment in chemicals is significant.

Life is short

Zebra

the offer is geniune--if you're in Asheville and want to drop by this summer let me know as I am pouring all summer long

Jim Fitzgerald
05-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I shoot 20 x 24 Wet Plate and yes they are grainless sights to behold--at least the ones I don't screw up that is. Just don't play any Hendricks while pouring the collodion or he starts to make sense. My camera goes about 55 lbs, the wet plate holder goes about 15 lbs or so, the Dallmeyer lenses for the format average about 8lbs, some more, some less and the investment in chemicals is significant.

Life is short

Zebra

the offer is geniune--if you're in Asheville and want to drop by this summer let me know as I am pouring all summer long

Z, if I ever have the chance to get to the east coast you can count on the fact that I would love to see the camera and the process. It must be amazing! All the best.

Jim

Curt
05-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Jim, how many ULF film holders do you recommend obsessing over? With large film a changing bag is not going to be very workable. Maybe a tent of some kind?

Are there any dunes left at Oceano, the last time I was there, quite a while ago, all I saw was dirt bikes and dune buggies? It would be nice if some part of it was left to photograph in.

Pic's of the camera yet or is it too early?

Good luck,
Curt

RobertP
05-24-2007, 04:36 AM
Z, Are you using one of the Star Camera mammouth plate cameras or did you have a wet plate back made for your Ebony?

Zebra
05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Robert,

I am using the Ebony camera but it has a conventional back to it that will take film holders and the spring loaded wet plate holder Alan Brubaker from AWB made. The holders were made first and then the back was made based on the exact measurements of the holders to insure fit, registration etc. The Silver Nitrate is corrosive to wood so I clean the back and holder obsessively at the end of each session.

Zebra

Jim Fitzgerald
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Jim, how many ULF film holders do you recommend obsessing over? With large film a changing bag is not going to be very workable. Maybe a tent of some kind?

Are there any dunes left at Oceano, the last time I was there, quite a while ago, all I saw was dirt bikes and dune buggies? It would be nice if some part of it was left to photograph in.

Pic's of the camera yet or is it too early?

Good luck,
Curt

Curt, My thinking on holders is 4. I think that 4 would be a good days production for 8x20.

There are dunes left up there. It is actually out of Guadalupe. This is south of Oceano. You take Main St. out of Santa Maria all the way to the end. The park opens at about 6:30 AM. I always get there early and follow the ranger in. At the right time of the year it is still almost dark. The only problem with this area is they close the dunes most of the year due to the Snowy Powler migration and nesting that takes place on the dunes. I think the dunes are open from about October threw late February. I've been out in this area about 5-6 times and it is quite a hike from the parking lot to the best areas of the dunes. About 5 miles out you get to some nice areas. My last trip out I finally found the way! This was with my 4x5. You have to start early because of light and wind. I've got some of my best images so far from my last trip and I will have to post some pic's. I have not seen another person EVER when I've been out at this location which is fatastic. I couldn't change holders fast enough last time. Many great compositions!! You don't have to hike that far out but like I said I'm a glutton for punishment. Can't wait to take the 8x20 out!

I still need to do the bellows and some small touch up. I have to get the funds together for the bellows as I will have this built for me. I know my limitations. I did throw my dark cloth over the set-up and the image on the ground glass was pure magic!!

Jim

Jim

RobertP
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Zebra, Alan does some really nice work. I just had him build 4 8x20 holders for me and they are sweet.

Tom Stanworth
05-25-2007, 06:21 AM
I've just bought a used copy of Don McCullins 'Africa' and been enjoying his work. I would take my hat off to the person who would take a 20x16 or 20x24 to work in this style..tribal group portraits etc. I cannot imagine anything better than such huge REAL (contact) prints.....has anyone ever done such a thing?

Now look whats happened....I am thinking about it....