PDA

View Full Version : Are you obsessed with ULF?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jim Fitzgerald
05-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I found myself wondering the other day about 11x14! I am about a month from completion of my Walnut 8x20 with matching Walnut tripod. I am diamond polishing the ground glass frame and have to do the bellows and she will be done. This is my first attempt at building any camera and it is turning out better that I expected. Now that I can see the "light at the end of the tunnel" I'm considering building a 11x14! I am crazy, I know, but does this obsession just go on and on?

Terence
05-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes.

MikeK
05-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I am afraid it does - I just acquired an 11x14 and now I find I am fantasizing over a 7x17 - good job my wife cannot read my mind - "slap" - oh good grief she can :)

Mike

Steve Sherman
05-02-2007, 11:08 PM
the obsession is with making negatives, really big ULF negatives!

Vaughn
05-02-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm a bit obsessed with the idea of ULF, but am lacking sufficient funds at the present times to make the obsession a reality of ULF.

Vaughn

Curt
05-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Once you discover you have the talent to make cameras your already in trouble. From there building down doesn't seem to be the direction taken. Tonight I am working on a replacement bellows for a Seneca 8x10. I still have the materials for an 11x14 in the shop ready for me.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Negatives!! Damn I have to find a place for them also! My one bedroom apartment is slowly becoming a photography museum! I imagine it is all worth it when you pull that first ULF neg out of the developer. Can't wait!

Jim

roteague
05-03-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm not the least bit obsessed with something I can't even get film for.

ChrisC
05-03-2007, 01:10 AM
After looking at negatives shot from my 4x5 I'm for sure in love with the idea of something alot larger. But having said that, I don't think I'd ever have the desire to go bigger than plain old LF 8x10. Of course, if I somehow managed to shoot an 11x14 in this country, which is pretty unlikely, I'd probably be hooked.

Ole
05-03-2007, 01:33 AM
No.

I have a 12x16" camera, but so far 5x7", 18x24cm and 24x30cm suit me much better. Maybe now that I've got a 8x10" camera I can sell the big beast? ;)

Roger Hicks
05-03-2007, 01:35 AM
No.

I have a 12x16" camera, but so far 5x7", 18x24cm and 24x30cm suit me much better. Maybe now that I've got a 8x10" camera I can sell the big beast? ;)
Dear Ole,

Same here. I've had 11x14 inch; I have 12x15 inch; but I prefer 5x7 inch/ 13x18cm and use 8x10 only for portraits.

Cheers,

R.

ReallyBigCameras
05-03-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm not the least bit obsessed with something I can't even get film for.

Robert,

If you REALLY wanted it, you could get it. Kodak will cut any of their emulsions in any size you want - as long as you're willing to meet their $$$ minimum order requirements. Or, you can buy 9.5" rolls and cut your own to your desired length. Or, you could shoot it in 150 ft. rolls with a motor driven back, like these guys (http://www.gigapxl.org/), for rapid bracketing of exposures in rapidly changing light.

Anything is possible, if yuo have enough money an REALLY want to do it.

Kerry

argus
05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Jim,

I had the same feeling when finishing my 7x17", it lasted for some months after that and is now levelled at an acceptable amount of interest.

I'm currently working on the restauration of a full plate camera... the spouse said it was OK after I put 4 days in putting up the fence around our garden last weekend :)

Looking forward to see your completed camera!

G

jimgalli
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Naw. I've only got 9 ULF cameras. It's these darned giant antique lenses that are killing me.....

Michael Kadillak
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Robert,

If you REALLY wanted it, you could get it. Kodak will cut any of their emulsions in any size you want - as long as you're willing to meet their $$$ minimum order requirements. Or, you can buy 9.5" rolls and cut your own to your desired length. Or, you could shoot it in 150 ft. rolls with a motor driven back, like these guys (http://www.gigapxl.org/), for rapid bracketing of exposures in rapidly changing light.

Anything is possible, if you have enough money an REALLY want to do it.

Kerry

I completely agree with Kerry in the sense that it is easier to admit defeat and blame any number of companies for the condition than it is to solve the problem. Fundamental human nature. But at the end of the day the future of ULF is the collective responsibility of the participants. In this regard I am one of the hopelessly addicted that is willing to step up and allocate some of my time to insure that we have B&W sheet film for these cameras for years to come. I am working jointly with J&C toward the goal of stocking TMY in ULF sizes shortly that would eliminate pre-orders and make this emulsion available to many more photographers that prefer to pay as they go.

Long live B&W in ULF formats!

Hugo Zhang
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Jim,

11x14 is not much bigger than 8x10. Why don't you build yourself a 14x17 and be done with ULF camera building and we go out burning some big negatives?

Jim Fitzgerald
05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Jim,

11x14 is not much bigger than 8x10. Why don't you build yourself a 14x17 and be done with ULF camera building and we go out burning some big negatives?

Hugo, now there is a great idea! Bigger is better!

Jim

roteague
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I completely agree with Kerry in the sense that it is easier to admit defeat and blame any number of companies for the condition than it is to solve the problem.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just stating my opinion.

roteague
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Robert,

I only shoot Fuji Velvia.

ReallyBigCameras
05-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I only shoot Fuji Velvia.

Fuji used to make Velvia in 11x14. If someone were to throw enough money their way, they'd probably be willing to do it again.

Kerry