PDA

View Full Version : Old film spools

Marcus
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi, I am trying to find some old & odd sized film spools, namely spools for the 117 film size. Any idea as to where I can get hold of one??

120 film will fit onto 117 film spool. Amazingly I have managed to obtain one of these today (4 May!!), need at least one more so I can respool and get the camera working again!!

Marcus

Derek Lofgreen
05-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Marcus, I think the 117 spool is just a tad wider than the 120, probably a thinner spool too. I have an old 620 folder that I use 120 film in. I don't re-spool it either. What I do is take some 60 grit sand paper wrap it on a block and start sanding the plastic edges off and sand the top and bottom spindle thinner so it will fit the camera. It may sound like a hassle but it only takes me 5-10 minutes to get it to fit and the film works just fine. Just an idea.

D.

Marcus
05-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Derek,

Thanks for you kind reply. Film width if fine on the 117 spool that I have, 120 film will fit. It is the smaller diameter that I need - 120 spool is 1 inch wide, 117 spool 7/8 inch!!

I know about 620 spools. Even they won't fit.

Thanks again,

Marcus

Larry Dawson
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I believe that the 117 spool first appeared in the original Brownie. It may also have been used, with a different designation, in the Ica Icarette.

I have an Icarette which most sources say takes 120 film. That is correct only for the film and paper. a 120 spool will not fit. A 620mspool will fit but
the film can not be advanced because the key slot is too small.
I cut down a plastic 120 spool to 620 size flanges and Lo! it will wind.

I have discussed the spool size with other Brownie users and collectors and so far, none has been able to confirm the 117 data. But I believe it will
work if you grind plastic 120 spools' flanges down to 620 diameter.

PLeas elet me know if that works for you.

Best regards,

Larry Dawson
ldawson@jisp.net

Hi, I am trying to find some old & odd sized film spools, namely spools for the 117 film size. Any idea as to where I can get hold of one??

120 film will fit onto 117 film spool. Amazingly I have managed to obtain one of these today (4 May!!), need at least one more so I can respool and get the camera working again!!

Marcus

Marcus
05-07-2007, 03:53 AM
I believe that the 117 spool first appeared in the original Brownie. It may also have been used, with a different designation, in the Ica Icarette.

I have discussed the spool size with other Brownie users and collectors and so far, none has been able to confirm the 117 data. But I believe it will
work if you grind plastic 120 spools' flanges down to 620 diameter.

PLeas elet me know if that works for you.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for replying. I have an original Brownie, hence my problem. I also have an Ensign camera (1920/30's) which also takes the 117 size film. The spool came with the Ensign!

I have discovered that a 120 spool is too wide on the diameter and 620 has the wrong size holes at each end, but otherwise okay sizewise. So other than obtaining a second 117 spool and respooling, I feel my only other option is to grind a 120 spool down to 620/117 size.

Will grinding a spool affect the film if done with the film still on the spool?? What is the easiest way of doing this - a file or by sandpaper?

Marcus

seawolf66
05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Marcus: here is a long shot for you to think about, jury-rig a way for the spool to chuck into a electric drill and set it at its lowest speed, and then apply a file to it or sand paper to it while it rotates, this should help you bring the spool into the size you need:\\\Lauren

fotch
05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
If you can measure the diameter you need and post it here or PM it to me, I will try turning this down in my Sherline lathe. I have extra 120 spools to use.

I think cutting the flange down would be better than sanding it down. If you do sand it, be sure to wash the entire spool as the grit/dust may be caught in the smallest places and end up on your film or in your camera.

Derek Lofgreen
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Like I said Marcus, I use a very rough sheet of sand paper and grind it down by hand. It only takes about 10 minutes to grind a 120 spool with the film on it. So far I have had no ill effects to the film when I grind it down. Use your spare 117 spool to be your take up spool so you don't have to worry about the slot size.

D.

Marcus
05-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Thank for all your kind replies.

I have now managed to reduce a 120 spool to 620 proportions, and fits accordingly. All I have to do is to respool a film!

Wish me luck.....

Marcus

Derek Lofgreen
05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Why are you respooling? just grind down the 120 spool with the film on it.

D.

Marcus
05-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I guess I'm a bit hesitant about getting any dust on the film.
It is more than likely okay if I do, just hesitant.

I will try it soon!

Marcus
05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi,

Have managed to reduce a 120 film spool with film on it to 620 size!! Film has been shot & developed, and all has come out beautifully!!

Will now be repeating this process again.

Thanks for all your help & advice.

Marcus

Derek Lofgreen
05-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Glad it worked for you Marcus. Now lets see some of those images!

D.