PDA

View Full Version : A+ Fuji..

Síle
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM
My 12 year old daughter came home from school today with a Disposable Fuji Film camera in tow..
Apparently, the class is to take photo's of "Their Community" and, once the film is developed, decide on one or two of their favourite shots to enlarge for a competition of sorts.
Fuji provided the cameras and will develop the film once exposed. All the children have to do, is pay for the two enlargements.. a couple of €'s at most?
She's completely enthused about the whole idea, and is already thinking of areas in the town that she wants to go out and take pictures of..
I really think it's an absolutely wonderful idea and think Fuji deserve big Kudos for this initiative.
Not only are they're instilling the love of film photography into future generations but in the process making more thoughtful and selective photographers and getting kids up and out of the house to boot.

Síle

copake_ham
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I agree - a hearty congrats to the Jolly Green Giant! :D

Jim Noel
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
We can only hope that this move by Fuji will spread. There was a time when Kodak strongly supported education in photography, but that is long gone.

Fintan
05-10-2007, 05:35 AM
Its a great idea and one I bet Mammy will be too delighted to help on the homework ;)

Síle
05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Its a great idea and one I bet Mammy will be too delighted to help on the homework ;)

It's a dirty job Fintan... But somebody's got to do it ...

thefizz
05-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Well done Fuji, I think thats a great idea. It will be very exciting for the kids when picking out their favorite negs for printing.

Síle
05-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Well done Fuji, I think thats a great idea. It will be very exciting for the kids when picking out their favorite negs for printing.

I couldn't agree more.. I have to admit I'm dying to see what she chooses as opposed to what my choice would be... But my lips will be well and truly sealed so as not to influence any decision.
Why wasn't homework like this in my day?

Síle

dferrie
05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
My 12 year old daughter came home from school today with a Disposable Fuji Film camera in tow..
Apparently, the class is to take photo's of "Their Community" and, once the film is developed, decide on one or two of their favourite shots to enlarge for a competition of sorts.

Did they get any pointers/guide on composition? It's a great idea, I love to see kids picking up a camera and taking a few shots. I know some parents have had a panic attack when they see their kids picking up with my cameras, but as I say, it's insured and we should encourage their creative talents.

David

Síle
05-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Did they get any pointers/guide on composition?

David

The school decided on the theme of "Community" to tie in with Geography and Social Science lessons, Fuji provided the camera's and impetus.. there were no pointers given by either school or Fuji, which to be honest, I think is a good thing.. If you give kids pointers or examples.. you'll most likely get 60 of the same photos.. not quite individuality!
The most ironic part for me however, is.. first prize is...
A D*g*t*l camera...
Ah well.. I guess we can't have it all!

Síle..

dferrie
07-12-2007, 05:44 AM

As Síle will be too modest to mention it, I'm going to do. Síle's daughter got 2nd place in this promotion/competition from the Fuji shop in Bray, it was a lovely shot and at the risk of being biased, should really have gotten first place. Well done Abbie! And also well done Fuji Bray for sponsoring this initiative.

David

FrankB
07-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Many congratulations to Abbie!

I also echo the "well done" to Fuji.

thefizz
07-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Well done Abbie, you must have got your artistic talent from your mother ;)

Peter

Black Dog
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
WTG to all!

jd callow
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
As Síle will be too modest to mention it, I'm going to do. Síle's daughter got 2nd place in this promotion/competition from the Fuji shop in Bray, it was a lovely shot and at the risk of being biased, should really have gotten first place. Well done Abbie! And also well done Fuji Bray for sponsoring this initiative.

David

What a great story. Smart move on the part of Fuji and the school. The thought processes involved in describing the subject, the means by which it should be expressed and the analysis needed to determne success or what is best are wonderfull lessons.

Wolfeye
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
A small goodwill gesture like this goes a long ways. Fuji has been my brand of choice ever since my first roll of Reala, and I love their slide films too.

Fintan
07-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Congrats to Abbie, hope shes not too disappointed in not getting the digital camera, hint hint to you Sile, get eBaying for a film camera for the next birthday :D

Jim Noel
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I am with Fintan - Buy that girl a film camera and then simple darkroom skills.

Our youngest daughter used to sit and watch me print before she started kindergarten. In 5th grade she took an old enlarger of mine and set up a darkroom for her class. While attending UCSC she paid her way making portraits of babies and children, and occasionally printing for a major portrait photographer in Sacramento.

You can not start them too young, especially once they show an interest!

Síle
07-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Thank you all for the kind words, which I have passed on to a now brightly beaming Abbie. She says to say a big thank you to everyone from her too. Needless to say she was thrilled to come in second, and I was one very proud Mum :D

Yes, I totally agree she needs a film camera.. and I willingly obliged by passing on my Richoflex to her when she first showed interest in my Autocord.. She loved the way the "old camera" works. And I have an old Fujica 35mm that I willingly hand over too.. I think she might be hooked ;)

Jim, that was a lovely story about your daughter thank you for sharing it.

Síle

copake_ham
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Let me add my congrats to Abbie (and proud Mum). And I echo the thanks of the others to Fuji.

Great all around - perhaps soon Abbie will join APUG? Maybe we could start a "Next Generation" forum?