PDA

View Full Version : Old Carl Zeiss Jena Lense

Rlibersky
05-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Does any one have information about this lense? What size it covers? the year made? or any other information.

Here are the particulars

on the front lense
Carl Zeiss Jena Nr 581029 Tessar 1:4.5 f=12cm
I do know the Fstop is 4.5 and it is 120mm

On Front of the Shutter
Ica Dresden COMPUR
D.R.P No258646 D.R.G.M

Button on the left
Z B M

On side of shutter
Fstop
4.5, 6.3, 9, 12.5, 18, 25, 36
No351004

Thats it.

Thanks for the help

Dan Fromm
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Probably made in 1924. Won't cover 4x5, might cover 3x4, will cover 2x3.

If you set the uncocked shutter to Z and press the shutter release lever, it will give a time exposure; one press to open, a second press to close. At B, open while pressed. At M, the shutter can be cocked and will give timed exposures. Do NOT attempt to cock the shutter while it is set to Z or B.

The aperture is scaled in full stops starting from f/4.5.

jimgalli
05-10-2007, 05:41 PM
What Dan said is spot on of course. Remember that on a 4X5 it would cover well for things closer in. 120mm isn't very far removed from the standard old press camera 127mm f4.7 which were used by the gazillions on speed graphic 4X5's. Indeed though as Dan says, Kodak always claimed the 127 was a 3X4 lens.

Ole
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
That's a Tessar lens, probably off a folding ICA 6.5x9cm plate camera. The standard focal length for this format was 105mm, but some plate cameras with front rise and shift had 120mm lenses fitted for the larger image circle.

I assume the shutter is a dial-set Compur given the location of the ZBM button? Times are set via the little wheel on top. "ZBM" are the abbreviations for "Zeit" (Time), B (Bulb, "D" for "Dauer" is more common on these shutters) and "Moment" (Instant) - some shutters are marked both Z-D-M and T-B-I.

The serial number indicates a 1923 manufacture, which fits in neatly with the "ICA" name on the shutter. The lens may well be from an ICA Ideal camera.

Rlibersky
05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
That's a Tessar lens, probably off a folding ICA 6.5x9cm plate camera. The standard focal length for this format was 105mm, but some plate cameras with front rise and shift had 120mm lenses fitted for the larger image circle.

I assume the shutter is a dial-set Compur given the location of the ZBM button? Times are set via the little wheel on top. "ZBM" are the abbreviations for "Zeit" (Time), B (Bulb, "D" for "Dauer" is more common on these shutters) and "Moment" (Instant) - some shutters are marked both Z-D-M and T-B-I.

The serial number indicates a 1923 manufacture, which fits in neatly with the "ICA" name on the shutter. The lens may well be from an ICA Ideal camera.

Thanks all for the information. The glass on this lens is as clean as I've seen for any age. Was it a good lens for the time? I plan on fitting it to a 2-1/4 3-1/4 Busch. I knew the Z was for time just didn't know the translation. Thanks again for the info.

Randy

Ole
05-11-2007, 04:14 AM
Tessars were good lenses at any time, and still are!