PDA

View Full Version : More on coating and coating blades

Pages : 1 [2]

dwross
05-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Ron:

I'm delighted that you have a sample of matte commercial baryta. I'd love to look at it. Could you hang on to it for awhile? I've got paper samples piled so high and deep here that it would just get lost, and also I know you're busy packing up for Montana.

I'm going to try my hand at making baryta paper. I know that the glossy is beyond me. Apparently, it takes many passes through a calendering machine to produce a high gloss, but I should be able to manage a matte-type. (Now, that statement may just be the ultimate in hubris.) I finally got the barium sulfate. "Barytes" used to be available through Daniel Smith Art Supplies, along with things like China Clay for printmaking. For some reason, it's gotten hard to get. I found it from a chemical supply house in Florida. It took my business license and a statement of intent, but after that it didn't even ship HazMat. Go figure. I'll keep you informed. Hopefully, the Great Baryta Grail will go better than my Flubber Adventure!

d

Photo Engineer
05-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Denise;

You can use 60% medical barium sulfate paste for this operation. (pun intended) If you don't have pre-prepared paste, you may need to use a ball mill to get the material down to the right particle size for coating.

Mixing it with gelatin to get the right thickness, adding surfactant and hardener and coating will give you a matte 'rough' finish baryta which looks very interesting. It should be fun.

You may need to coat this with a blade at 10 mil instead of 5 or 7. In fact, you may need to go to 20 mil for proper coverage. It depends on the viscosity and coverage of the material.

PE

dwross
06-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi All:

I have just posted the current update of my emulsion research. The material relating specifically to puddle pushers is here:

http://dwrphotos.com/blog/Section7/Papers.htm

Hope it helps. Happy Emulsion Making.
Denise

Alex Hawley
06-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Fascinating Denise, and a most well-done presentation. Thank you for making this info available.

Emulsion
06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Denise,

I agree with Alex, great presentation and content.

I concur with the sentiments of the "I love Emulsion" page. I'm sure this forum will enable a whole new batch of amateur emulsion making to occur. I look forward to your Jan 2008 update.

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information!

Fascinating Denise, and a most well-done presentation. Thank you for making this info available.

donbga
06-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi All:

I have just posted the current update of my emulsion research. The material relating specifically to puddle pushers is here:

http://dwrphotos.com/blog/Section7/Papers.htm

Hope it helps. Happy Emulsion Making.
Denise

Nice write up Denise. The Defender formula seems very similar to the Ansco 130 formula.

Thanks,

dwross
06-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi All:

Many thanks for the kind and supportive thoughts. They are appreciated. I'm ruefully aware I can get a little evangelical about emulsion making. I keep hoping to hear that someone else has joined the club. But it may be that the APUG group is a tad too conservative. B&W paper is seen as something that comes in a package from a factory. The way it always has been is the way it oughta be (I really am saying that with smile on my face. I respect the intent of APUG's mission.)

Because I do respect it, and sincerely respect Sean's right to keep out digital, I am very uncomfortable posting anything here. APUG should be the natural place for this dialogue. But, because I am incorporating digital negatives (scanned from film) into my research and work flow, I should not be posting here and will not again.

I will continue posting updates and answering any questions I can about silver gelatin emulsions on hybridphoto.com. If you haven't visited the site, you really should. I'm pretty sure it's not a sin. Great folks there with a genuine love of photography - past, present, and future.

http://hybridphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386

Best wishes to all,
Denise