PDA

View Full Version : Rock of Cashel day out.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Síle
05-22-2007, 07:37 AM
So what time are we meeting??

The site opens at 9am, and according to the OPW, it's another site that gets extremely busy this time of year, therefore I would imagine the earlier the better.
Our meeting time will probably depend on how long it will take everyone to get there? It's about two hours from here, so I'll go along with what suits everyone else.

Btw I did ring ahead, and as usual with OPW sites there are no restrictions on the use of tripods etc. providing it's not for professional purposes.

Síle

thefizz
05-22-2007, 07:41 AM
The Rock opens at 9am, so I suggest we be ready, cameras in hand to burst through the door at that time.

Edit: sorry Sile, you got in before me.

Fintan
05-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Some of the best photographs are not taken inside it but in the roads/fields outside, so I'm not too keen on rushing the door at 9

fluffy_penguins
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Start without me... .I'll just noodle along and find you guys there - earliest bus is 8AM puts me in Cashel at 9:30AM or so. I'll look for the tripods!

:-)

Cath

Síle
05-22-2007, 10:50 AM
The Rock opens at 9am, so I suggest we be ready, cameras in hand to burst through the door at that time.

Edit: sorry Sile, you got in before me.

No problem Peter.. good to know we're all so eager!
I agree that the best shots seem to be from a bit away. Why don't we meet at the site carpark, then all pile in one/two cars and set off to find a good spot? And by the time we're all good to go ... Catherine should have arrived :)

Síle

Fintan
05-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Cafe Hans beside the Rock and Grant, in Kearney Castle hotel on the Main St are I'm told the best spots for caffeine and calories.

thefizz
05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
No problem Peter.. good to know we're all so eager!
I agree that the best shots seem to be from a bit away. Why don't we meet at the site carpark, then all pile in one/two cars and set off to find a good spot? And by the time we're all good to go ... Catherine should have arrived

And if we are stopped by the police we can say we are just taking her back to the zoo. :)

dferrie
05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Cafe Hans beside the Rock and Grant, in Kearney Castle hotel on the Main St are I'm told the best spots for caffeine and calories.

The Cashel Palace hotel has a very nice restaurant in the basement (Bishops Buttery), which was very nice the last time I was there, as I recall you can also wander from the Garden of the hotel up to/towards the Rock as the hotel used to be the Bishops residence.

http://www.cashel-palace.ie/welcome.shtml

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to Cashel :( hope you all have a great time.

David

Dave Miller
05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
It’s a couple of years since I visited the Rock, but I would recommend that you do go in as soon as it opens because as others have said it gets very busy by about 10am. This is fine if you like people pictures.
There is a ruined Abbey about half a mile away which will also provide photo opportunities, and a vista of the Rock. There is a footpath from near the Rock entrance, or you can drive there.
As you come out of the car park there is a row of cottages/shops on the right, one of which is/was a good café with a pleasant garden opposite.
Apart from that enjoy the day, and do not, whatever you do, save film.

fluffy_penguins
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
And if we are stopped by the police we can say we are just taking her back to the zoo. :)

Grrrrrawww! (Mean penguin noises)....

:D :D :D :D

thefizz
05-23-2007, 04:01 AM
It’s a couple of years since I visited the Rock, but I would recommend that you do go in as soon as it opens because as others have said it gets very busy by about 10am. This is fine if you like people pictures.
There is a ruined Abbey about half a mile away which will also provide photo opportunities, and a vista of the Rock. There is a footpath from near the Rock entrance, or you can drive there.
As you come out of the car park there is a row of cottages/shops on the right, one of which is/was a good café with a pleasant garden opposite.
Apart from that enjoy the day, and do not, whatever you do, save film.

No chance of us saving film Dave, thanks for your contribution.

Peter

melball
05-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Catherine, if you don't mind getting a lift from a stranger I can give you a lift up to Cashel.

Mel

Fintan
05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Catherine, if you don't mind getting a lift from a stranger I can give you a lift up to Cashel.

Mel

Mel, she took a lift from me in Clonmacnoise and they dont get any stranger than myself :p

fluffy_penguins
05-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Mel

That would be great! And if you need a break from driving... I can now do 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th didn't work out so well for me ('cos I was going up a steep hill, uh, slowly)....

You can say no. Fintan wouldn't let me drive his fancy car, either!

:D :D :D

Cath.

thefizz
05-24-2007, 04:05 AM
That would be great! And if you need a break from driving... I can now do 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th didn't work out so well for me ('cos I was going up a steep hill, uh, slowly)....

You can say no. Fintan wouldn't let me drive his fancy car, either!

:D :D :D

Cath.

I don't blame him ;)

melball
05-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Hi Cath, luckily Cashel isn't too far away...I should be able to cope. Speaking as a former rally driver having one learner in my car (my man) was enough. You can provide the natter (that is if I don't freak you out!...with my driving).

Síle
05-28-2007, 11:33 AM
I did put in a special request.. but it seems twas in vain..
Weather for Saturday looks decidedly wet and miserable.. Sorry everyone..

Days shooting in the Seychelles anyone???

Síle

dferrie
05-29-2007, 05:08 AM
I did put in a special request.. but it seems twas in vain..
Weather for Saturday looks decidedly wet and miserable.. Sorry everyone..

Days shooting in the Seychelles anyone???

Síle

I hope that this is not the start of a trend for APUG outings, we were unlucky the last time out but if it's bad on Saturday then one would wonder if somebody has it in for us! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

David

Fintan
05-31-2007, 05:50 AM
met.ie says "the weather will vary" on Saturday, lets be optimistic folks

thefizz
05-31-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm staying over Friday night in a B&B a few miles from Cashel, so if anyone else is there on Friday, let me know. I may even shoot a roll or two :) or drink a pint or two.:D

Peter