PDA

View Full Version : film holder bag

philsweeney
05-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I needed a bag for my 7 x 17 holders. I just could not bring myself to pay $250 for the AWB bags. Using my mother's sewing machine I made this one. Never sewed before. Looking back the $250 is not a bad price. Kept my cost down but sure put a lot of time into it. Had to learn how to use the machine and then about 3 evenings on the project, and the duck cloth pushed the sewing machine to its limits! Its is padded and will hold about five holders with padding in between.

Monophoto
05-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes - - - but you have acquired a new skill.

Keith Pitman
06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
If you're making any more, I'd like one!

Gary892
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Phil, that is a nice looking bag even for the first attempt.

I have been considering doing the same thing.

What sewing machine, Thread, and materials did you use and do you have a pattern. I am in need of one for my 12x20 film holders.

Gary

User Removed
06-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I would suggest contacting Kevin Saitta with Saitta Bags. He custom makes film holder bags for however many holders you want and whatever size you want.

I just had a new 8x10 holder bag made for me and I absolutly love it. It holds the exact amount of holders I wanted and is very durable and high quality.

If your spending around 300-400 dollars a holder, and are carring 4-5 holders on you...that is around $1,500.00 of holders! I don't want to hear people complain about paying 200 bucks for a really nice bag to protect those expensive holders! It's well worth the investment.

Your bag looks decent for carrying in the car, but not in the field. You don't want to be carrying stuff in your hands when out hiking around to take pictures.

Colin Graham
06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Very nice! I actually like to sew...oddly relaxing...I'm a freak. But I still can't do zippers or anything like that. Very nice work, very impressive.

Scott Peters
06-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice bag, I would add a long shoulder strap however. Do you have the sewing patters? :) My wife can sew....

argus
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM
A good an inexpensive solution is the Eagle Creek travel Gear. They have a wide range of backs and packs to fit in luggage.

Their model "double brick" holds 6 8x10" holders perfectly and they have even bigger variations that could be used for larger filmholderd.

G

jp80874
06-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I like the individual holder bags that Quality Camera (Atlanta, Georgia) sells on eBay, MC Gear brand, about $30 each for 7x17. They are light tight, Velcro sealed and padded. I washed off some mud I had gotten on one and discovered that they also shed water. Dick's Sporting Goods sells a light weight back pack for about $40 for scuba gear that nicely holds six holders or more in the bags. I use a baby jogger and this back pack fits nicely on the frame rails. Bungee cord keeps it in place. The weight helps to keep the jogger's center of gravity low. Young mothers in the park get very upset when they see an over turned baby jogger, especially with an old guy driving. You hear them mumbling about never trusting a grandfather.

John Powers

jstraw
06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I like the individual holder bags that Quality Camera (Atlanta, Georgia) sells on eBay, MC Gear brand, about $30 each for 7x17. They are light tight, Velcro sealed and padded. I washed off some mud I had gotten on one and discovered that they also shed water. Dick's Sporting Goods sells a light weight back pack for about $40 for scuba gear that nicely holds six holders or more in the bags. I use a baby jogger and this back pack fits nicely on the frame rails. Bungee cord keeps it in place. The weight helps to keep the jogger's center of gravity low. Young mothers in the park get very upset when they see an over turned baby jogger, especially with an old guy driving. You hear them mumbling about never trusting a grandfather.

John Powers

I need to get one of those just so anytime I see some young mothers I can lean down into mine and scream "WOULD YOU PLEASE JUST SHUT THE %#$@ UP?!!!!"

philsweeney
06-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Phil, that is a nice looking bag even for the first attempt.

I have been considering doing the same thing.

What sewing machine, Thread, and materials did you use and do you have a pattern. I am in need of one for my 12x20 film holders.

Gary
Hi Gary,

The machine is a Nechhi Nora. needle 18 (15 x 1 system). white nylon upholstery thread. off-white cotton duck cloth. 1/2 polyester NU-Foam for padding. I got everything at Joann fabrics.

I had to adjust the tension on the lower bobbin to get a good stitch.