PDA

View Full Version : Jersey is Burning

Flotsam
05-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm watching the News on the huge fire that is burning in New Jersey. Unbelievable! I'm about 140 miles North of the fire and this season has been far from dry. It has rained regularly this Spring and destructive flooding has been more of a problem than a drought. I suppose that all of those Pine Trees are powerful fuel.

Of course My first concern is with the lives and property of the residents, especially the many retirement villages and nursing homes located in that area but I have enjoyed bicycling through the Pine Barrens and nearby areas and camped at Bass River and am sorry to see this unique and scenic area being destroyed. For those that may not be familiar with the area, most of New Jersey is completely different from the stereotype of Northeast NJ and the Turnpike corridor.

I hope that everyone is safe and that this fire is contained quickly.

Sanjay Sen
05-16-2007, 02:09 PM
I heard this on the radio on the way to work - it was 10% contained then, it's about 30% contained now. Hopefully the thunderstorms forecast for the afternoon might help, but lightning could start new fires also. The land is so dry even though it has rained quite a bit.

The news is that an F16 from the NJ National Guards dropped a flare which started all this.

Here's hoping that the fire is contained quickly. These are some of the best preserved forests in Jersey. It's so sad to see these go up in flames - another instance of a man-made disaster.

copake_ham
05-16-2007, 02:16 PM
I saw the report on CNN's website. Yes, apparently a flare dropped by a military jet doing bombing practice set it off.

Although it was a wet April - May has been fairly dry so far - and we've had some high winds. Not good. But it sure is sticky outside in NYC this PM so those T-storms may be starting soon.

DJGainer
05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I live in Philadelphia and I can attest to the fact that winds were extremely high yesterday. I'm looking out my window at rain clouds, hopefully the rain will help containment efforts.

Jim Noel
05-16-2007, 03:26 PM
I hate to see the Garden State afire. When I have visited I have always been impressed with the lush growth.

Those of us in Southern California and the rest of the west are fearing the summer since we had only 2-3 inches of rain over the past year. I am afraid the predictions of a very fiery summer may be correct.

What have we done to this planet? When are we going to stop pouring harmful materials into our atmosphere? When will the people of the U.S., and especially the elected officials realize that we are on the verge of causing the extinction of our way of life?

Flotsam
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
It just finished dumping buckets here.
I hope that the fire area gets more and for a longer time.

Sanjay Sen
05-16-2007, 05:57 PM
They said in the news that the fire lines seem to be holding so far. Also, they are hoping that the six lanes of the GSP (Garden State Parkway, for those not familiar) will help protect Little Egg Harbor township; if the fire jumps the GSP, then it will be a major problem evacuating that township.

copake_ham
05-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Here in NYC we had a major T-storm dump come through around 4PM. After a break it's been raining steadily again since about 6PM.

Hopefully they're getting similar wet weather down in South Jersey and anyway, the humid air should help retard the fire's progress and give the firefighters the upper hand.

Flotsam
05-16-2007, 06:26 PM
They said in the news that the fire lines seem to be holding so far. Also, they are hoping that the six lanes of the GSP (Garden State Parkway, for those not familiar) will help protect Little Egg Harbor township; if the fire jumps the GSP, then it will be a major problem evacuating that township.Yeah, they've been lighting backfires along the GSP. If the fire jumps East it'll be very bad. So far, property damage has been light compared to the many terrible natural disasters that have hit all over the country, coast to coast recently. I hope that Mother Nature lends a hand.

Flotsam
05-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Was it last year that an F16 on training maneuvers sprayed an Elementary School in that area with machine gun fire?

Kino
05-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Ah, I remember scenic Fort Dix very, very well; Especially the Paragon Trail, leisurely strolls through the Pine Barrens and beans and MFs in a can...

I could see where if that area caught fire, it would be Hell to extinguish.

C-5-3; Charlie Cobras! Ooo-ha!

Sanjay Sen
05-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Was it last year that an F16 on training maneuvers sprayed an Elementary School in that area with machine gun fire?

Yep, an F-16 sprayed a middle school building in Little Egg Harbor township with ammunition rounds. Luckily it was at night and only one person was in the building, and fortunately he was not hurt.

copake_ham
05-16-2007, 07:57 PM

I think so, m/l.

The problem is that South Jersey is no longer a rural area - it's gotten more and more built up (i.e. suburban and exurban sprawl) and older activities are clashing with newer land usages.

Same thing is going on up by you in the Hudson Valley (where our Copake place is) and just about everywhere else.

The sprawl is insidious and there's no stopping it - developers control more and more land in ever enlarging regions around population centers.

Oops, getting kind of OT - hope they stop the fire soon.

Flotsam
05-16-2007, 10:38 PM
I know what you mean, George.
I remember one morning many years ago driving from Port Jefferson L.I. to my place in Rockland County and thinking that in all that time and distance I hadn't even come close to spanning the New York City commuting suburbs.
It has only expanded since then.

jstraw
05-16-2007, 10:53 PM

I still say those kids had it coming.

Flotsam
05-16-2007, 11:15 PM
You are right. I understand that horseplay had gotten completely out of control at that school. The hall monitors were completely justified in calling in air support. :)

Sirius Glass
05-17-2007, 10:39 AM

Back in the day, the bombing run would have been with Naplan. Look how far we have come. :o :o :o

:o Warning this message has been infected with sarcasm!:o

gr82bart
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Hmmm ... since I've been soundly accused of starting a thread that has nothing to do with film photography by some contributors to this thread here. I thought I would just point that out.

Thanks, Art. (Being singled by forum bullies ain't fun! :o )

Sirius Glass
05-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Hmmm ... since I've been soundly accused of starting a thread that has nothing to do with film photography by some contributors to this thread here. I thought I would just point that out.

Thanks, Art. (Being singled by forum bullies ain't fun! :o )

It affects the APUG regional folks. It may change their photographic plans.

This is as opposed to putting up non-photographic constroversial crap.

You really need to get over yourself and grow up.

Steve

gr82bart
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
LOL! Logic is a wonderful thing to read online.

Anyway, I don't want to detract from the thread and wish the best for those "APUGers whose photographic plans have changed" by a major forest fire. Like that would be at the top of their list of concerns, but hey, what do I know?

Regards, Art. (Remember to throw your digital gear into the raging inferno when you get a chance ...)