PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for 12x20

Pages : 1 [2] 3

JackGreen
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
You might try a Duluth pack...they're designed for carrying large amounts of gear at portages on canoe trips. http://www.duluthpack.com/products.aspx?SubCat=1&CategoryID=d
I've used one for my 12x20...when I was younger. They aren't modern design and are made of canvas but the largest ones have plenty of room.
Good luck.
Jack

Hugo Zhang
05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
MAtt,

As Jim mentioned earlier, I bought a backpack with wheels from Costco for my 10x20. It costed me under $40. It has two big compartments which I put my camera, dark cloth, three film holders, tripod and two lenses in plastic containers there. It also has two small compartments which I use to store light meter and filters and etc.

But I don't think the bag is wide enough for your 12x20.

John Kasaian
05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Oh man, my back is ache-in' just reading this! Get a pack mule! ;)

Michael Kadillak
05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
I would recommend a serious aluminum frame pack with a ledge on the back that you can lash a lightweight pack box to. I had Strebor make me a case for my ULF cameras and the frame pack I got from them is from Canada and stands up on its own support members. It has some serious waist and shoulder straps and can hold more than I could impose upon it in the weight department. I have in the past and continue to carry 70-90# packs into the Colorado high country on summer and winter trips and cannot emphasize the importance of a balanced load and physical conditioning prior to getting further away than the tailgate of your vehicle. And don't tell me it is something that you have to give up when you turn 30 cause I don't buy it.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

scootermm
05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
And don't tell me it is something that you have to give up when you turn 30 cause I don't buy it.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

fully agree. :)

Im completely enticed by this product, will be measuring my existing case to see if the 27" width is satisfactory.
http://www.granitegear.com/products/canoe_gear/traditional_series/4/index.html

michael9793
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I finally settled on a lightware case for my 8x20 and I can hold my camera and 5 holders plus smaller items. no lens.

michael9793
05-24-2007, 12:49 PM
how about 54. next year I want to go to Yosemite and pack around a 8x10. I'm trying to get into shape now so I will be ready by then. But 90# pack my word that is some real packing.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
And don't tell me it is something that you have to give up when you turn 30 cause I don't buy it.

Where there is a will, there is a way.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this also. I'm over 50 and only 5"6". It is not easy with 50lbs on my back up hill in the sand. But it is sure worth the effort when you come out of the darkroom. Keep in shape both physically and mentally because there are great images out there. Find them!

Jim

ilya1963
05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
"Im completely enticed by this product, will be measuring my existing case to see if the 27" width is satisfactory.
http://www.granitegear.com/products/...s/4/index.html"

My only suggestion is to think of it TALL instead of WIDE , better wait ballance , Plus don't forget tripod has to go on the inside...

ILYA

David Brown
05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Matt is not planning on actual "backpacking". He's not trekking miles into the wilderness. He just needs to get his gear from the truck to inside whatever abandoned building he'll be trespassing that day. :D

scootermm
05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Matt is not planning on actual "backpacking". He's not trekking miles into the wilderness. He just needs to get his gear from the truck to inside whatever abandoned building he'll be trespassing that day. :D

"officer I do not know a single thing about what this gentleman and complete stranger is reffering to, I would never willingly/deliberately or otherwise trespass on adequately designated private property. I merely got lost and stumbled over the 9ft fence lined with razor wire. That is a common mistake is it not? and never mind the lonestar in my hand"

:)

Jeremy
05-24-2007, 05:01 PM
heheheh

photobackpacker
05-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Now don't count me out. ;) I have been working behind the scenes in a collaboration with Kelty that is looking very promising. In fact, there is a possibility I will have samples of these new packs to show at the upcoming View Camera Magazine conference and trade show.

That is all I can go into right now but it is looking very exciting. :D

Bruce

www.photobackpacker.com

Well, I am saddened to learn that photobackpacker could not help you as I was just about to contact him for one of my own. I have the 8x10 system and it is awesome, if they only made one of those camera cases for ulf then you could put it in just about any large type Kelty pack with frame.
Phillip

PBrooks
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Hello Photobackpacker, I'm not counting you out. As I mentioned I already have the 8x10 system. I think you have a great product and hope that we can come to some sort of arrangement to fit my new 14x17 with lens and 4 film holders in some sort of a Kelty pack. Any ideas!
Phillip

photobackpacker
05-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Stay tuned ... :p

Hello Photobackpacker, I'm not counting you out. As I mentioned I already have the 8x10 system. I think you have a great product and hope that we can come to some sort of arrangement to fit my new 14x17 with lens and 4 film holders in some sort of a Kelty pack. Any ideas!
Phillip

colrehogan
05-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Stay tuned ... :p
Maybe even for 5x12? I hope to stop by your booth at the VC Conference.

photo8x10
05-30-2007, 04:50 AM
I hope also one for a 8x20.... :)

Stefano

reggie
05-31-2007, 02:52 AM
How about something like this? I've seen assorted models of these on the 'net and they look pretty good for on location tresspassing/photographing and hauling down a dirt road, etc. I know Oliver Gagliani used one - I saw it on his DVD and it seemed to work great. The heavy load can be well balanced and this will carry a lot of stuff.

http://omygarden.com/index.php?menu=27&itemid=174
http://www.amazon.com/BULLY-Fold-Flat-Garden-Potting-Charge/dp/B000HAUA7G

BTW, thanks for the links to the Granite Gear packs. They look awesome.

-R

michael9793
05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Stefano,
I have my 8x20 in a lightware case that has rollers and will hold my camera and 10 holders it oyu have that many. I have my camera, 5 holders, and dark cloth in the case. I could put a lens in but I keep them in a separate bag.

regards
Mike

Mike A
06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I've had my eye on this system C:\Documents and Settings\allemt\Desktop\Cargo_Chair.htm

Mike