PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a garage sale find

Pages : [1] 2

Tonglen
05-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Hey all,
I just cruised a garage sale where a guy was selling a Folmer & Schwing 11x14
studio camera with a back, board and lens for $300. What to do? Largest I've gone is 4x5. Thanks in advance!
Brian

david b
05-27-2007, 01:45 PM
what town do you live in?

Frank R
05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Ask for the filmholders if he has them. They are rare and cost $200 each.

Sounds like a decent price. It should include a stand though. Without one it is very cumbersome.

If it were a field camera it would be a steal.

Tonglen
05-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Ask for the filmholders if he has them. They are rare and cost $200 each.

Sounds like a decent price. It should include a stand though. Without one it is very cumbersome.

If it were a field camera it would be a steal.

Thanks, Frank.
It has a stand. I didn't see any holders.
Guess I'll go back and look.

JG Motamedi
05-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Run back and buy it.

Even if you don't want it you can easily resell it for twice the price.

jimgalli
05-30-2007, 08:43 AM
CRAP! Yard sales in Tonopah Nevada seem only to produce baby clothes and boxes of fruit jars!! :rolleyes: Bring home 1st! Ask questions second!! What was the lens?? Some crummy old 19" Heliar no doubt.

Jim Fitzgerald
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
If I was so lucky to find an 11x14 at a garage sale for that price!! Hell, I'd beg steal or borrow the money if I didn't have it! Like Jim says if it has a decent lens on it, that alone will be worth the $300.00. I don't have an 11x14 in the arsenal yet but if I had a deal like that, you know I would. Let us know what it looks like when you get it. Heck buy it and someone on APUG will buy it if you don't want it. Good luck.

Jim

Paul Kinney
05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
I have one of these beasts. Great camera. If you don't want it resell it. I always need spare parts.

Tonglen
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, here it is; and it is rather beastly. It ended up having one film back. The extension rail adds another 36" to the 31" on the camera bed. The lens is a Wollensak. Sheesh, that's a lot of real estate to look through.

smieglitz
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Sweet! Does the front rotate or ??? What are those three curved channels and knobs for?

Great find. What kind of Wollensak lens does it have and did you score any holders with it?

joe

jimgalli
05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
That's excellent!! Now all you need is a 19" Sigmar to take up some of that extra space on the lensboard :D That truly is an excellent find for $300 bucks. Well done.

Stephanie Brim
05-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Sweet Jesus and his Father...that's a find. You're lucky. Very, very lucky. You better make some nifty images with that thing. ;)

TracyStorer
05-31-2007, 10:58 PM
It was probably built as a copy camera...I have a very similar one, but the front is different. I think that as a copy camera, the rotating front would come in handy to straighten out crooked copy?

smieglitz
06-01-2007, 12:06 AM
It was probably built as a copy camera...I have a very similar one, but the front is different. I think that as a copy camera, the rotating front would come in handy to straighten out crooked copy?

I originally thought that might be it too but after reflecting on it, I don't think that is it. The cone of light coming through the lens would be a point or circle starting out and rotation of the lens would not alter that or the position of objects in the projected field of view (though tilting it would). If you look through a lens, magnifying glass, etc., it doesn't matter if you rotate the element. However, rotation of the back would affect the straight line & frame edges induced by the format, which is where perspective control comes in.

I wonder if it was for attachment of an internal shutter or some other accessory (vignetting mask, filter, etc.).

I've never seen any other camera with a front like this one.

Joe

Harrigan
06-01-2007, 06:29 AM
The front might have actually been a back at one time? It looks like it has the same type hinge found on the old ROC cameras used for rear tilts. I think someone may have added that front on there but that's just a guess.

http://www.fiberq.com/cam/roc/emp.htm

TracyStorer
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I meant that the rotating front was actually the copy board(where the original would be mounted), and that the lens would mount inside the next section. Mine has internal hardware for lensboard sized panels in each stage.
Tracy

I originally thought that might be it too but after reflecting on it, I don't think that is it. The cone of light coming through the lens would be a point or circle starting out and rotation of the lens would not alter that or the position of objects in the projected field of view (though tilting it would). If you look through a lens, magnifying glass, etc., it doesn't matter if you rotate the element. However, rotation of the back would affect the straight line & frame edges induced by the format, which is where perspective control comes in.

I wonder if it was for attachment of an internal shutter or some other accessory (vignetting mask, filter, etc.).

I've never seen any other camera with a front like this one.

Joe

eclarke
06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
At the ABSOLUTE least, it's a nice prop to have sitting around in your darkroom!! The best garage sale find I've heard about so far...Evan Clarke

Terence
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Almost definitely a copy camera. I have a 5x7 of similar design. The little doors on the side allow you to place the lens and board in the intermediate sections.

Mine was made to make Magic Lantern slides from other slides. I have a Magic Lantern back and 5 film holders in almost perfect condition. Now if only Ilford cut Magic Lantern sizes . . .

smieglitz
06-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I meant that the rotating front was actually the copy board(where the original would be mounted), and that the lens would mount inside the next section. Mine has internal hardware for lensboard sized panels in each stage.
Tracy

Ahhh. Got it. Thanks.

Jeremy
06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
now THAT'S a lensboard!!!