PDA

View Full Version : Glendalough...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

bdial
06-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Maybe it was one of the fabled killer rabbits, you are quite lucky to have survived.

Rolleiflexible
06-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Here, the Beast of Bodmin, an English "bunny" at 40kg:

http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/animals/graphics/giantrabbit2.jpg

Do you think that a mere English bunny might
overshadow any self-respecting Irish Hare?

I rest my case.

thefizz
06-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Hi Sile, don't forget to make sure the OPW have the customary scaffolding erected around some of the site.:rolleyes: It just adds that something special, don't you think?

Síle
06-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi Sile, don't forget to make sure the OPW have the customary scaffolding erected around some of the site.:rolleyes: It just adds that something special, don't you think?

I'm actually heading down there now for the morning, so I'll bring my spare scaffolding just in case and if there's none around the tower.. I'll build my own :D
No OPW site is the same without it!

Síle

dferrie
06-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi all,

Just to make sure I have this straight and to recap, the plan is to visit Glendalough, possibly Sally Gap on the way to coast for coastal landscapes. The following weekend dates do NOT suit various members:

30th June/1st July
7/8th July
28/29th July
4/5th August
11/12th August
17/18th August

I think that means that our options for July/August, I'm not sure if end June is being considered, are:

14th July
21st July
25th August

I think it's generally agreed that we need to get an early start so that we can get shots of Monastic settlement before tours arrive, that probably means a start of 8-9am. Is anyone considering staying locally overnight on Friday?

Oh yes, let's not forget that there maybe be a Kangarabbit on the loose :)

I think that's a summary of how things stand at the moment.

David

thefizz
06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
I think we are just waiting for the Penguin to let us know what dates she is available.

Rolleiflexible
06-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Apologies to all.

I had pasted a photo of the horrific Bodmin Bunny in my
post but now it has morphed into that horrible green face.
Perhaps that is its true spirit, emanating from the screen.

Another effort, on less-heroic scale:

http://www.neatorama.com/images/2005/giant-rabbit.jpg

Síle
06-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I've heard of Hare Volumiser... now here's living proof..

Síle

Síle
06-09-2007, 05:16 AM

Peter you'll be happy to know that the OPW took over the site in the mid 1800's and once all restoration work was completed, it was handed over to and now now run by Dúchas and there isn't a piece of scaffolding in sight :D

Síle

thefizz
06-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Peter you'll be happy to know that the OPW took over the site in the mid 1800's and once all restoration work was completed, it was handed over to and now now run by Dúchas and there isn't a piece of scaffolding in sight :D

Síle

Yahoooooo..........

All we need now is the weather which you have been absolved of organising :p I will be arranging lots of sun with beautiful blue skies and white fluffy clouds.:)

fluffy_penguins
06-09-2007, 06:32 AM
hi gang,

carry on without me! don't know exactly where i'm going after paris... if i'm here i'll come along, but not really sure right now!

that is one huuuuuuuuge bunny. wow.

:-)

catherine.

Síle
06-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Yahoooooo..........

All we need now is the weather which you have been absolved of organising :p I will be arranging lots of sun with beautiful blue skies and white fluffy clouds.:)

I'm very glad to be absolved of those responsibilities thank you very much...So gallant of you to step into the breach ..
Now we can all look forward to wonderful weather!

There is one other thing we need though...

A date? :o

Síle

dferrie
06-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Okay, I'll take the plunge, how about 14th July ?

David

thefizz
06-10-2007, 02:33 PM
14th is good for me.

Fintan
06-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I should be ok for the 14th July, fingers crossed anyway.

Síle
06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
14th Sounds good to me too :D

Síle

melball
06-11-2007, 01:45 AM
14th should be fine for me too
Mel

dferrie
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi All,

Looks like we are set for the 14th. A word of warning for the day (sure Síle will fill in more details) between May and September there are a LOT of midges in Glendalough so make sure to bring and use insect repellent. Síle had her arms badly bitten last week. See also http://url.ie/4cy , I think long sleeves will be the order of the day!

David

Síle
06-12-2007, 05:27 AM
Hi All,

Looks like we are set for the 14th. A word of warning for the day (sure Síle will fill in more details) between May and September there are a LOT of midges in Glendalough so make sure to bring and use insect repellent. Síle had her arms badly bitten last week. See also http://url.ie/4cy , I think long sleeves will be the order of the day!

David

It completely slipped my mind going down to pack my bug repellent, but it's not a mistake I'll make again in a hurry!
I was eaten alive because I was standing around for so long at the edge of the lake, the Monastic site is fine, no stagnant water, but the upper lake is over run with the nasty little things!

And to think I was afraid of the Kangarabbit....

Síle

Síle
07-03-2007, 08:44 AM

So how's that weather coming along Peter... Should I start on the ark now? :D

Síle