PDA

View Full Version : Glendalough...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Síle
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure we all agreed on Glendalough as our next day out.. as much as I kinda railroaded you all into saying yes!

Therefore I'm opening this thread for discussion..
Are we all ok with a Glendalough trip for our next get together, or has someone got another suggestion?
Also Powerscourt waterfall and gardens can be fitted into the day if you're interested?
http://www.powerscourt.ie/gardens/index.htm

As for dates, I'm fairly easy on this one it being on my doorstep.. so..
Everyone?

Síle

Fintan
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
sign me up!!

Since you know the area, any coastal landscapes that would make for good b+w nearby?

Síle
06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
sign me up!!

Since you know the area, any coastal landscapes that would make for good b+w nearby?

Oh yes, there are plenty!

There's a 'mile long' Victorian railed promenade, and deserted sandy or pebble beaches all within about a half hours drive from Glendalough and 10 minutes from Powerscourt, so you tell me exactly what it is you're looking for, and I'll find it :D

Síle

thefizz
06-05-2007, 04:08 AM
I would love a day at Glendalough so count me in. The other coastel suggestions also sound good.

I'm away the weekends of 28th July and 4th August, so I hope that doesn't knock me out, but if they are good dates for everyone else I won't mind as I can go again myself.

I could go any day up to 22nd July but not sure if Fluffy will be back by then?

Síle
06-05-2007, 06:54 AM
So far any weekend in July suits, I can't do the middle two weekends in August, that'd be the 11/12th and 18/19th, but am fairly ok after that..
Also we could leave Powerscourt and just head to the coast if you'd all rather, I'm easy either way..

Síle

melball
06-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I can't do the first two weekends in July but don't let that stop you if it suits everyone else. Anytime after that should be OK, and I'm flexible with the locations.

Mel

dferrie
06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi All,

Reckon I should be able to make the Glendalough outing. Aside from the option of heading for some coastal shots, let's not forget the close proximity to the lakes of Blessington/Sally Gap. On the coastal side of things there are lots of options. If we can manage it, I would urge an early start, it's the summer (at least it is today ;) ) and Glendalough is really popular with tours and Dubliners alike.

I'm pretty much okay on dates except for weekends of 11/12th and 18/19th August.

David

Rolleiflexible
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
I lived in County Dublin in 1984 and 1985. To me Glendalough was iconic. In the states, Glendalough would have an "interpretative center" and park police and everything would have been roped off to keep people from touching the stones. It was always an amazement to me to go to Glendalough, nearly always deserted, and be able to walk through the ruins so intimately, feel them, commune with them, without official voices trying to intermediate my experience of the place.

Sanders

dferrie
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I lived in County Dublin in 1984 and 1985. To me Glendalough was iconic. In the states, Glendalough would have an "interpretative center" and park police and everything would have been roped off to keep people from touching the stones.

There is a visitor center in Glendalough and it is part of the Wicklow Mountains National Park which is controlled by park rangers, but that said it remains very open for everyone to enjoy. I read at the weekend that BBQ's have now been banned in the area as there were people using them on grassed areas and not extinguishing them properly. Probably the biggest issue in the area is people "climbing" into hard to reach areas and either becoming unable to get back down or falling. From about 11am/12pm onwards it does become busy and especially at the weekends. But if you get there early you miss the crowds :D .

David

Fintan
06-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Everything is a bit chaotic for me at the moment so I dont want to pin down a date, will do my best to make whatever date you guys choose though.

mmcclellan
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
A word of warning, beloved Irish APUGgers -- Glendalough will be SWARMING with tourists all through the summer, even when it's pouring rain. Your only hope of getting a shot that isn't full of Brits and Americans and assorted Germans and other Ireland-lovers is to have your cameras out the minute it opens and rush in before the buses arrive.

If, on the other hand, you do Glendalough in the fall, you can easily have the place to yourself on a Saturday morning. However, if you do go in the summer, there are still plenty of other wonderful sites all up and down the valley to photograph that the tourists hardly visit, including a lovely church that's about a 20 minute walk from the monastic city and off the trail near the main road.

I remember setting up my 5x7 one gorgeous summer Sunday and waiting for about two hours for a break in the traffic to get a clean shot. I finally gave up and headed down the glen hoping for another shot that would work. Outside the summer tourist season, though, you can easily have the place to yourselves on a beautiful day. :)

Good luck -- Glendalough is truly one of the most beautiful sites in Ireland (after Skellig Michael, of course!).

Rolleiflexible
06-05-2007, 05:52 PM
... is to have your cameras out the minute it opens ...

"The minute it opens"? You mean, the authorities have come up with a way of opening and closing the glen? Alas, paradise lost.

Sanders

Síle
06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
"The minute it opens"? You mean, the authorities have come up with a way of opening and closing the glen? Alas, paradise lost.

Sanders

You know I don't think they do? I'm a regular visitor, and having arrived there both in early morning and late afternoon and I've never known it to "Close" as such. Any opening and closing times relate to the visitors centre and not the actual Monastic settlement or lakes.
So would that be.. Paradise re-found?
It truly is my favourite haunt.. and yes you're right Michael the swarms of tourists do get worse as the summer moves on, so an early start is imperative.
I also know of that little church you mention farther up the valley.. the one you need to cross a little wooden bridge to get to? That's also on the itinerary for the day.. so bring your walking boots folks!

Síle

Dave Miller
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't think it closes, last time we were there we arrived about 8am and had the place mostly to ourselves until the first coach arrive at 10am, and that was in June. I have a few snaps in my gallery for those unsure of what to expect, but there is lots more there other than stonework.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10020&cat=500&ppuser=1223

Rolleiflexible
06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
there is lots more there other than stonework.[/url]

I once saw a rabbit the size of a kangaroo in the vale of Glendalough.

Jon King
06-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I once saw a rabbit the size of a kangaroo in the vale of Glendalough.

I spent a lovely day, cloudy, but lovely in Glendalough. I never did see a rabbit quite that large. Other parts of the island however, seemed to be overrun with some other kangaroo sized beasts...

Thinking about it, I've never seen a kangaroo in the wild either, so I could be wrong.:D

Rolleiflexible
06-07-2007, 01:31 AM
He (I assumed it was a he, he looked menacing and I doubt a female of the species would have glowered like that) lurked in the pines, leapt out for a brief moment as the sun split the clouds, then darted* off again. But there was that one shaft of sunlight that day, and that kangarabbit occupied it while it lasted.

Sanders

* not DARTed.

dferrie
06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
He (I assumed it was a he, he looked menacing and I doubt a female of the species would have glowered like that) lurked in the pines, leapt out for a brief moment as the sun split the clouds, then darted* off again. But there was that one shaft of sunlight that day, and that kangarabbit occupied it while it lasted.

Great, Scotland get the Loch Ness monster and we get the Glendalough Kangarabbit !

David

Síle
06-07-2007, 12:59 PM

Sanders

* not DARTed.

Did you pick your own Mushrooms for breakfast that day??
;)

Síle

Rolleiflexible
06-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I still have nightmares.