Red beans and Rice.

Everyone knows that.

*L*

Yep - he got it.

Bet he's eaten a ton of Mufaletta sandwiches too! :D

Happy eating!

geauxpez
12-14-2007, 06:23 AM
ettoufee is a sauce based dish with shrimp or crayfish (a miniture fresh water lobster looking thing) in poured over rice. Well made ettoufee is so... well it rolls off your tongue and tickles your taste buds as it descends into your stomach.

I have a fond saying that when I die, I am going to hell becuase that's where all the bad women go and I like bad women. But if I find out they only serve ettoufee in heaven... I gots a problem.

Gumbo is a cajun stew made with chicken and or sausage and or seafood, with peppers onions okra and whatnot in it. 7,000,000 gumbo makers, 7,000,000 recipes. It's thick also with the sauce made from file (pronouned fee lay) a root of some plant ground up.

Poorboys are a southern equivalent of submarine sandwiches (or hogies, grinders, torpedos, or whatever you call them). They have meat or fish with salad and mayo on them usually. The bread is important in these.

I eat well in New Orleans.

tim in san jose

Tim, you're making me long for my homeland. I was just there for the Thanksgiving holidays (adding turducken, oyster dressing, stuffed mirleton, and a few other local favs to the list above). Unfortunately I didn't get enough of all those things to satisfy my palate until my next trip down.

To expand on your explanations -- both gumbo and and etouffe are typically roux-based, of course gumbo being the soup variant which is also served over rice. Sometimes a gumbo will not have a roux and will use okra as the thickening agent. You can have a more Cajun-style gumbo or a more Creole-style gumbo with, as you pointed out, endless permutations. As for the file', it is made from ground sassafrass root and can be used as a thickening agent (usually if okra is not used) or can be used as a spice added to the individual serving. Traditional post-thanksgiving meal: turkey gumbo of course. I just had some this week, made from the carcass of a smoked turkey with copious amount of andouille sausage.

Oh -- the basis for almost any New Orleans cuisine: The "trinity": Onion, bell pepper and celery. And what would the trinity add without the holiest of aromatics (sometimes referred to as "the Pope"), garlic or "gahlic".

Happy eating! Adam (misplaced in Atlanta)

Marc Akemann
12-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Between 'Shoot-A-Camera Part 4 and 5' there have been some really delicious sounding pagan chicken recipes, all of which I've recorded for further investigation. I think I took my turn with the Part 4 camera before this pagan chicken recipe stuff began, but I found a recipe that I have to share with you all. It's from an 1895 cookbook entitled "The True Blue Cook-Book" which is a series of recipes compiled by the "Ladies of the First Presbyterian Church, Oak Park, Illinois." Although this comes from a Christian religion that is widely known, I feel that the individual author of this particular recipe was not a Christian because of the fact that she seems to possibly dismiss commandment #6 (Thou shalt not kill), and possibly #3 (Thou shalt not misuse the name of the Lord your God) since the the person eating the 'food' will no doubt be cursing before, during and, most likely, after the meal. #5 (Honor thy father and mother) could also be compromised. So to me, the author of this recipe is a pagan. Here is the cooking instructions for "Pressed Chicken" by Mrs. C. S. Beattie:

Put two chickens on in cold water and boil until the meat separates from the bones. Take them off, skin and chop, but not too fine. Season with salt and pepper to taste and a little parsley chopped fine. Let the liquor, in which the chickens were boiled, cook down to a pint and then pour over the chopped meat. Add three hard boiled eggs cut in slices. Put in a dish, cover and place a weight on the cover. Put away until solid.

I don't think refrigerators were all the rage at this point in time, so I wonder about the details, of which I could find none, regarding the average length of time it took to make this thing solid. There are other questions, but I've already taken up enough of your time.

Enjoy!

Marc

P.S. There was another pagan chicken recipe entitled "Jellied Chicken", but I'll save that for another time.

Thanasis
12-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Hey! Give us a recipe Arthur! You can't get away that easy ... what about sago grub stew, wombat on a spit or something delish like that?

Regards, Art.

I am overseas at the moment in Denmark and away from all my recipes. I have a nice chicken, creamed corn and brocolli soup that i will post once back in Oz.

regards.
Thanasis

Síle
12-21-2007, 08:55 PM
The camera arrived safe and sound this morning even amidst the Christmas madness. I'll hopefully get it shot in the next couple of days but think I might wait to post it until after the 25th, methinks the postal system will calm a little then.

Now I just need to think of a recipe.. :o

Síle

copake_ham
12-21-2007, 09:44 PM
The camera arrived safe and sound this morning even amidst the Christmas madness. I'll hopefully get it shot in the next couple of days but think I might wait to post it until after the 25th, methinks the postal system will calm a little then.

Now I just need to think of a recipe.. :o

Síle

Jeez Sile,

I think you could well wind up with both camera's crossing!

If it hasn't already arrived, wait a couple of days to see in #5 arrives.

If so, perhaps you could take a pic of the two of them posing together? It'd be kind of like if they had a third rover on Mars who could take a dual portrait of those stalwart travelers! ;)

Anyway, a very Merry Christmas to you, everyone else following the journeys of our brave little cameras and everyone else here on APUG! :D

EDIT: Oh, BTW, the recipe goes on #5, not #4! ;)

Síle
12-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Jeez Sile,

If it hasn't already arrived, wait a couple of days to see in #5 arrives.

If so, perhaps you could take a pic of the two of them posing together?

EDIT: Oh, BTW, the recipe goes on #5, not #4! ;)

Nothing in the post today... still keeping fingers crossed for the great camera amalgamation... and I will most certainly take a snapshot of the two travellers together.

And oops.. my bad on the recipe.. but can you ever really have too many pagan chicken recipes George??

I'm also going to take this opportunity to wish everyone following the Adventures of the Travelling Cameras and indeed everyone else a very Merry Christmas..

A Nollaigh Shona Dhuit daoine go léir..

Síle

Jon King
12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Síle,

Gurab amhaidh duit, but not the chicken :p.

Síle
12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Síle,

Gurab amhaidh duit, but not the chicken :p.

Oh heavens no... you Never do that to the chicken!!!

Comhghairdeas Jon ag caint ás Gaelige freisin !!!

I am very impressed.. There has to be Irish blood coursing through those veins somewhere!

Síle

Síle
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone.. but I finally got a dry bright day to take a pic.. I fear George's prediction on Irish weather and Irish lighting was a bit too accurate..

Camera will be winging it's way to Marc in Belgium tomorrow :D

Síle

k_jupiter
01-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone.. but I finally got a dry bright day to take a pic.. I fear George's prediction on Irish weather and Irish lighting was a bit too accurate..

Síle

Ah... but which camera?

LOL

A very Happy New year to you Sile.

tim in san jose

Black Dog
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Síle

Aren't a drop o'mist and a spot o'rain atmospheric, though?:p;)

copake_ham
01-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Síle

Cool.

Sounds like the cameras have been successfully untangled and sent their separate ways!

Síle
01-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Ah... but which camera?

LOL

A very Happy New year to you Sile.

tim in san jose

A very Happy New Year to you too Tim.. I think I've managed the right camera in the right direction.. It was being sent on to the chicken after me right??

Aren't a drop o'mist and a spot o'rain atmospheric, though?:p;)

There's atmospheric and there's bloody wet.. the problem with rain in Ireland is that it falls vertically and horizontally... so nothing escapes! If it was a drop o' Irish Mist (http://www.irishmist.com/) however... mmm hmmm..

Síle

Rebeccammm
01-05-2008, 09:54 PM
hmm- could you send a bottle of Irish Mist with the camera? We could all take a swig and shoot. mmm hmmm

Black Dog
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
A very Happy New Year to you too Tim.. I think I've managed the right camera in the right direction.. It was being sent on to the chicken after me right??

There's atmospheric and there's bloody wet.. the problem with rain in Ireland is that it falls vertically and horizontally... so nothing escapes! If it was a drop o' Irish Mist (http://www.irishmist.com/) however... mmm hmmm..

Síle

Hehehehe...I know that sort of rain well from living in the NW Highlands:o...gets through even a Posh Mountain Hardstuff Changabang jacket with Zen Double Diamond XXXTurboTechnology eventually;)

Marc Leest
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Síle

And here it is as of now. Wil take the picture and off it goes.

-M-

gr82bart
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Marc,

No pagan recipes from you though. I only expect fine Belgium chocolate and beer recipes!

Regards, Art.

Marc Leest
02-06-2008, 01:19 PM
And the camera is now on its way to Ruediger.

-M-

rst
02-06-2008, 01:26 PM
And the camera is now on its way to Ruediger.

-M-Hey great. I let you know when it arrives and I hope the light will get a bit better by then.

ciao
-- Ruediger