PDA

View Full Version : traveling with paper?

fluffy_penguins
06-09-2007, 06:36 AM
hello gang,

off to paris this week, and will be renting darkroom time when i'm there. since i have loads of paper i thought of taking it with me rather than buying more once i'm there.

i know to not check film under the plane, but what about paper? sorry if this is a dumb question.

thx,

cath.

bdial
06-09-2007, 06:42 AM
The checked baggage x-ray systems are guaranteed to fog film, and would almost certainly fog paper too. You'll need to take it in your carry-on bags.

fluffy_penguins
06-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Thx. I pray they won't ask to "look" inside!! Maybe I should just buy new paper once I'm there... just trying to use up my stash!

:-)

Catherine

argus
06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
The checked baggage x-ray systems are guaranteed to fog film, and would almost certainly fog paper too. You'll need to take it in your carry-on bags.

You're not serious about that one. Paper has a speed of about 6 ASA... that would need an awfull long exposure to x-rays.

I would worry a bit about major temperature changes.

G

bdial
06-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes, paper is much slower than most film, but, they warn passengers not to place any photosensitive materials in the checked baggage. Seems easier to be safe than end up with a fogged package of paper. How about if you put a box of paper through a checked baggage x-ray on your next trip and let us know the result?