View Full Version : Minnesota North Shore APUG Trip
06-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I am with Ike in that if I can't make it for this one, I would very much like to make another. I am tentatively available for this date, but am still awaiting scheduling from a contractor doing some work for me in N. Michigan. If I am up at that time I will do my best to swing over to the North Shore.
06-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I'd like to make this work if I can rearrange some work issues right then.... You don't want to drive past the Palisades if you're in the area as it's not well marked.
My only decent tent is a very large 5 room (kind of 3-ring circus size) that can help house people/gear, etc.
06-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I called Wagon Wheel campground today. They have an answer machine stating they are booked for the whole season, and are not taking anymore reservations at this time. Then I tried Big Blaze, and their phone number appears to be out of service. So it maybe that we have to go to a state park and camp if they have reservations. I was hoping to get really close to the water though. Anyway, if someone local to Duluth / Two Harbors could let me know of any prospective campgrounds that would help. I'll look more into it tomorrow and Friday. Anyway, so far our list is as follows:-
mattk (tentative pending work schedule)
billschwab (tentative pending work opportunity in northern MI)
06-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyway, if someone local to Duluth / Two Harbors could let me know of any prospective campgrounds that would help.
I'll have four acres of lawn by September. That work? :D
Sound like you wnat to be somewhere midway up the shore though.
06-27-2007, 10:13 PM
If I wasn't going to be 7 months pregnant, I may think about dragging Adam and going. We don't live that far away, but camping and 7 months pregnant don't go together.
06-28-2007, 07:05 AM
A while back I scored two five gallon containers of Kodak Rapid Fix Concentrate that my college was throwing out. They have a little sulphur precipitate in them that I filter out with coffee filters. It is a little funky smelling, but it works like a charm. I will bring a five gallon containter with me to share with anyone who wants some, so bring some empty bottles and I'll fill them up (free). I called US border patrol yesterday and they told me I should not have any trouble bringing the container across the border.
My brother wants to come too (He's a digishooter). He also has a fifth wheel trailer that we will be bringing. If you folks are looking for a campground, please make a reservation for me too. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the people I've met here on APUG.
06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Sjixxxy, we may have to take you up on that idea. Do you know when you'll have the 4 acres? Would it be in time for the 7th? I've had no luck calling Big Blaze campground at all this week. Being a little ways up the shore would be nice though if for the only reason of being about a third to half way up, and most of the interesting places are close by. Although, the Congdon mansion might produce some interesting photos??? Closer to Duluth might be doable.
I'll try calling Big Blaze again next week, and some state parks around that area for reservations.
07-05-2007, 02:44 PM
UPDATE, as I had not heard form anyone on venues to stay at. I researched this a bit more myself. I have managed to find a State Park at the Temperance River that has 14 sites available for Friday September 7th through Sunday September 9th. 7 sites are on the lower area, and 7 are on the upper area. There is a bridge over the river connecting the sites together. Some have electrical hookups and water. Most sites are within a few hundred feet of the lake. The cost for a hookup site is $22 plus $8 reservation fee. Non hookup sites are available for $18 plus $8 reservation fee. See this link for map details. http://www.superiortrails.com/temperance.html
This campground is roughly 80 miles north of Duluth, but is more central than Two Harbors allowing more flexibility to go further north towards Grand Marais, or south to Gooseberry, Tettegouche, Split Rock etc. Temperance River State Park phone number is (218) 663-7476 and the reservation line is at 1 (866) 857-2757
One other option is Lambs Resort. They are also in the town of Schroeder and have availability for 14 x water and electrical sites at $26.95 plus tax.
and they have a bunch of tent sites without hookups for $23.60 plus tax. I have gone ahead and already booked a site at this campground as their sites are closer to the water (20 yards) than the state park. They can be reached at 218 663 7292. Here is their internet site URL:- http://lambsresort.com/ I have explained that there maybe more folks from our group registering. For reference, I am in Campsite E. Get your reservations in ASAP if you are committed to going and let me know when your reservation is set so I can get a list together. Sounds like this is really happening now, let's follow through and make for a great trip. Thanks!!
07-07-2007, 03:43 AM
Andrew, thanks for taking time to do the reservations! I appreciate your efforts.
Let's hope we get good attendance. I know how busy this area can be in the fall, and understandably so. It's so beautiful that time of the year!
I can only second Andrew's opinion to hurry up and make the reservations. They usually run out pretty fast.
07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I will probably make reservations even if I have to skip the trip. Hopefully I am able to bid a schedule with that weekend off.
07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
update, and apologies for bold text, but I need to make sure people read this.
The plan for the MN September get together is to leave EARLY morning on Friday September 7th. I will likely drive up with Thomas as he is fairly close by. Then the intent was to stop at Tobies on I35 for breakfast and then caravan up with other APUGer's from there. The reason for starting early is so that we can explore some photo opportunities on the way up. We also need to think about who is actually going to attend, where are you staying etc? Reservations need to be made ASAP in the campgrounds I mentioned a message or two back, or you need to make alternate arrangements for hotel/lodging and transportation elsewhere. There are some cabins at these campgrounds as well but you will have to check yourself for availability. I need everyone to let me know of their intentions to attend, or not if that is the case.
Then we need to talk about carpooling especially if lot's of people are camping as typically the camp sites only allow one car per site. Please respond ASAP and let me know if you've gotten your reservation done.
07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm in and will have wheels.
07-11-2007, 09:11 AM
I just made a reservation at Lambs Resort. We will arrive Friday late afternoon and stay for two nights, leaving on Sunday evening. My brother and I will be in his 28' fifth wheel. The campground said there are still sites left with hookups if anyone is interested. Don't forget to bring an empty bottle or two if you would like some Kodak rapid fix concentrate. (see my earlier post)
07-16-2007, 12:27 PM
So far we have these folks signed up and reserved.
Rick Jason and brother
I am not sure on whether others who said they will make it are coming anymore.
Reservations will likely be drying up, so if you are coming, please take care of them quickly, and let me know. We will start to formulate some type of agenda for when we are up there, and we will need to know who to wait for and where to meet up etc. Cannot do that without knowing who's showing and who's not.
07-16-2007, 12:47 PM
What time are you meeting at Tobies? I can make Friday breakfast and some shooting during the day but haver to be back Friday evening.
I also have 7 pints of HC110 and 12 pints of replenisher I don't want, some one could take it all or it could be divided evenly among the participants. If any one is interested.
07-16-2007, 12:49 PM
7:00am at Tobies?
07-16-2007, 12:55 PM
I'll should be there.
08-03-2007, 07:01 AM
My apologies. I can't make it. I have a family engagement that has come up that I must attend. Enjoy, folks.
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make it. I thought I would be able to pull some camping gear together but it isn't looking good.
Hope to make it next time...
08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
So far, I have these names confirmed for the MN APUG trip to Northern MN on September 7th.
Still need confirmation from Mattk, Billschwab, Sjixxy, craigclu, unohuu and any others who have shown interest.