View Full Version : Minnesota North Shore APUG Trip
06-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Okay, the first MN APUG trip to St. Cloud was fun, and during that excursion there was some talk about arranging a trip up to the North Shore. Maybe for a weekend trip this time. Leave on Friday Afternoon, and return Sunday afternoon.
There should be plenty of opportunity for all sorts of photographic tastes.
We can camp, or B+B. My preference would be for camping as it's also part of the getting away experience.
Timing wise, I am thinking early to mid September. Crowds should have subsided as the kids are back in school, and camping is still doable as the weather should still be pleasant. We could also do it later still if you want to see fall color at its peak. Then the B+B's get booked up quickly so we need to determine a weekend soon. Please provide feedback, additional, or alternative venues if the North Shore is not to your taste. We have to get out and do something!!!! Other options might be Itasca State Park, or Boundary Waters....
06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
This sounds like a lot of fun. I would be interested most likely and would prefer to camp. Northshore or Boundary waters would be wonderful! I have been wanting to get some pictures of the fire aftermath so may make it up there before then, but this sounds like a great group event...
06-12-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm game. Due to my work, I don't know my schedule for the month of Sept. until the second or third week of Aug. Schedule it up and I will do the best to be there.
06-12-2007, 10:35 PM
i am definitely game, but have a gallery opening the weekend of 9/15 in Whitewater, WI...count me in otherwise. Camping for sure.
06-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Andrew, I'm glad you took the initiative to start this ball rolling. I will make it happen one way or another. Since I am also a student, I will also be back in school by then, so from my perspective, early September would be the best.
I would be excited to hike up and down the North Shore of Lake Superior. If we camp, it would also be nice to go down to the water at sunrise and sunset for some long exposures.
I'm very excited about a weekend trip!
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM
A couple of points you may want to consider about the North Shore:
At the end of September there will be a lot less bugs and the leaves will be starting to turn color. The nights will be cool.
Goose Berry Falls Campground - many sites and camper spots along Lake Superior. Lots of camper use in fall.
Tettegouche Park - Lake Superior camping sites, rental cabins inland by lake or river.
Temperance River - Camping by Lake Superior, many site with electricity.
06-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks George. If I take the camper, the electrical hookup would be really nice to allow the fridge to keep the beers cold :-) and help power the furnace if it got too cool.
06-13-2007, 10:51 PM
I might be in for this. It sounds great. Definitely interested.
06-13-2007, 11:07 PM
We'd love to have you there Bill.
06-14-2007, 12:45 AM
North Shore is my residence. I'm sure I could make it with minimal preperations.
06-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a sizable group wanting to attend. Brilliant! Should we attempt setting a date or two to keep this ball rolling so we can get it in our calendars?
I'm going back to school 8/27 so for my part I would propose the weekend of Fri 8/31 or Fri 9/7. If you guys would like to arrange something later I'll make it work somehow, but this is my preference.
06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Okay, 1st date for a calendar check is Friday 09/07. That's the drive up date. Leave work early, get there late afternoon, set up camp, B&B, hotel etc. Maybe photos that evening? Food, either grill, or eat out.
I'm thinking the best all round area to stay would be Two Harbors. Its not far to Split Rock Lighthouse, Tettegouche state park, Gooseberry Falls, etc. Lots of options.
So far the roll call for interest in the trip is:-
I will be camping, using a pop-up camper. It will sleep 3 full grown adults, 4 at a pinch. I am thinking about the site called 'Wagonwheel' It's right on the lake, and some sites are right next to the shore. There are B&B's near by, and I believe that the old Two Harbors Lighthouse is available to stay in too! I stayed there a few years back.
So lets look at calendars and schedules to see if this will work?
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I'd defintely be interested although the 7th wouldn't work for me. The North Shore is my normal haunt www.davideisenlord.com/Edges/edges.html. You would have to allow a digital heretic among you however. Bill Schwab can vouch for my character other than the digital bit!
06-21-2007, 09:43 AM
deisenlord. You are more than welcome to join us. We are still working on Friday September 7th as the drive up day though. Is it just that day you cannot make, or is the entire weekend out?
06-22-2007, 08:43 AM
It is the start of the school semester for me, but I would like to join you folks (if you don't mind a rank amateur among you). I have burned a lot of film along that part of shoreline, and it is never the same.
06-22-2007, 12:14 PM
Rick, you are more than welcome to join us. The more the merrier.
This list is growing. So far we now have these folks interested:-
mattk (tentative pending work schedule)
We are still aiming to be up there on Friday September 7th. Can I get some idea on whether this date works for the majority or not? I know that Deisenlord said he cannot make the 7th, but not sure if that means the whole weekend is out for him or not.
MattK pending work flight schedules.
Billschwab (interested, but not confirmed)
Lets nail this down and start making reservations at campgrounds/ hotels etc.
Thomas, George are reserved for the camper along with myself. Being that they are likely the tallest and largest amongst us. There is not going to be anymore room in there for anyone else.
06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Andrew, I have a family get together that week out of state. If I can't make this trip maybe another, I'd love to meet the minnesota apug members. Just got back from Bill Schwab's gathering in Michigan. Was really great.
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Although I've lived in Michigan for the last 24 years, I'm still really a Minnesotan, and I'm very interested in this trip. Put me down as tentative - it depends on whether I can escape from work on that Friday, which I won't know for a while yet. The weekend of Sept. 7 is fine with me at this point.
06-26-2007, 05:34 PM
markos, thanks for showing interest in this. Our list is growing significantly, and the more the merrier. I am still waiting for confirmation from a few people on whether the 7th will work or not. Either way, a date needs to be set whether people can make it or not so that campground, hotel, or B&B reservations can be made.
06-26-2007, 05:47 PM
9/7 works for me. i will probably tent it as well.