PDA

View Full Version : Omega D2 condenser lens arragement?

BradS
06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I picked up a well used Omega D2 a while ago...a long while ago.

Yesterday, my son goaded me into bringing it in from the garage. We set it up in the bathroom - a feat that I had thought not possible....

Anyway, I was somewhat at a loss as to how the two large condenser lenses are supposed to be arranged (for 4x5).

I quickly figured out that they both go in convex side up but, does the thicker one go on top or on bottom? I think I have the thicker one on top right now, and it seems to work but was wondering if anybody knows for sure?

David A. Goldfarb
06-18-2007, 12:53 PM
They go convex to convex in the aluminum collar, and they should be the same thickness, if it's a D2 or DII with the 4x5" condensor set.

BradS
06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
David....really? I tried that first - it seems most logical. That is, the two flat sides out and the two curved, convex sides facing each other. All I got was a really sharp image of the wavy aluminum thingy inside. Could not focus at all.

this configuration did not seem to work at all...
top: [)(] :bottom

but, this did:
top: (](] :bottom

BradS
06-18-2007, 01:12 PM
both lenses are nearly the same thickness but one is perhaps a little bit thicker.

Monophoto
06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Brad -

I have a DII (an earlier version of the D2), and in mine the condensers are convex to convex, just as David described.

David A. Goldfarb
06-18-2007, 01:33 PM
The wavy aluminum thingy? That sounds like the spacer. It should be one lens convex facing up, then the corrugated aluminum spacer around the edge, and then the other lens convex facing down. Maybe you didn't have them spaced right.

BradS
06-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmmm...odd. I'll double check tonight but, i'm almost certain that we ended up with both convex surfaces up...geez, now, i feel dumb!

Oh well. We made a bunch of prints. Stayed up 'till one and had lots of fun!