PDA

View Full Version : Rolleiflex Baby (4x4)

thebanana
06-22-2007, 02:47 PM
A friend of mine gave me one of these last week. Another reason why I love the d****** age! Aside from needing a good wipe with a damp cloth, it is in perfect shape. It came complete with hardshell case and a smaller optional leather case containing what appear to be a number of masks, which I assume allow for a variety of neg sizes? The camera and accessory kits were in original boxes which still had the original price tags. ($149.00 for the camera). According to the serial number I would guess that it was manufactured around 1961-62. The bonus was that there was a roll of undeveloped film in it, which I had processed this week. Turned out to be Kodak colour slide film (Kodak EIR) with some images of a shoreline taken from a small airplane. According to my friend, his Dad was given the camera by someone who lived in British Columbia, so this could be the Pacific coastline. It is not possible to know when the shots were taken by looking at the frames, but perhaps someone out there knows when this film was produced. I hadn't heard of it before. In the meantime, I've scored some 127 b+w film, and will give this "baby" a workout on the weekend:)

BrianShaw
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
You are one lucky banana! That's going ot be a fun camera!!

copake_ham
06-22-2007, 08:22 PM
You are one lucky banana! That's going ot be a fun camera!!

Ditto.

How come all my friends ever give me is agita? :confused:

Dinesh
06-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Are you bringing it to Toronto for the workshops?

BrianShaw
06-23-2007, 09:41 AM
agita

R U italiano?

dschneller
06-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Nice score! It's a fun format.

copake_ham
06-23-2007, 08:27 PM
R U italiano?

I am, in part. I am wholly of NYC - where a day w/o agita is like a day w/o....;)

David H. Bebbington
06-23-2007, 11:45 PM
A friend of mine gave me one of these last week. Another reason why I love the d****** age! Aside from needing a good wipe with a damp cloth, it is in perfect shape. It came complete with hardshell case and a smaller optional leather case containing what appear to be a number of masks, which I assume allow for a variety of neg sizes? The camera and accessory kits were in original boxes which still had the original price tags. ($149.00 for the camera). According to the serial number I would guess that it was manufactured around 1961-62. The bonus was that there was a roll of undeveloped film in it, which I had processed this week. Turned out to be Kodak colour slide film (Kodak EIR) with some images of a shoreline taken from a small airplane. According to my friend, his Dad was given the camera by someone who lived in British Columbia, so this could be the Pacific coastline. It is not possible to know when the shots were taken by looking at the frames, but perhaps someone out there knows when this film was produced. I hadn't heard of it before. In the meantime, I've scored some 127 b+w film, and will give this "baby" a workout on the weekend:)

No doubt you have discovered its "amusing" features, such as the shutter released interlocked with the viewing hood (has to be open to fire the shutter) and the MXV lever interlocked with a small pushbutton under the taking lens at the front. I am convinced that many people refused to buy a second-hand bay Rollei after they tried to fire the shutter with the viewfinder closed and concluded it was broken! A neat little camera, though - have fun with it!

Regards,

David

thebanana
06-24-2007, 09:47 AM
No doubt you have discovered its "amusing" features, such as the shutter released interlocked with the viewing hood (has to be open to fire the shutter) and the MXV lever interlocked with a small pushbutton under the taking lens at the front.

Luckily it came with the original manual, so I was able to avoid breaking the thing before I had a chance to use it;)

thebanana
06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
PS, if anyone has a lens hood for this "baby" that they are willing to part with, let me know.

J

vet173
06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
PS, if anyone has a lens hood for this "baby" that they are willing to part with, let me know.

J how big is your line of credit if you do find one. I've had a couple and they are a hoot.

MattKing
06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
I was wandering through an eBay search I review regularly (for Mamiya 645 stuff) and noted a digital back for the Mamiya 645AFD selling for the bargain price of several thousand dollars. Out of curiosity, I peaked at the details, and noted that the sensor size was approximately 39mm x 39mm - could be a perfect fit for a baby Rolleiflex !!

Do you think they make an adapter :):)?

Matt

thebanana
06-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Do you think they make an adapter ?

Hmm, how hard could it be??:D

dschneller
06-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Hmm, how hard could it be??:D

Hey, try a Yashica 44 hood on the Rollei. I have a Yashica 44 and a Sawyer's 44. The hoods are the same size and the screw holes are almost identical.

Check out the listing for a Yashica 44 hood here. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yashica-Yashica-44-TLR-Viewing-Hood-Light-Black_W0QQitemZ110066307185QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3003 7QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)

Dave

tbm
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
My father gave me a new Baby Rollei when I was 12 years old, in 1965, and it produces WONDERFUL images! You will be astounded by them! I still use it occasionally. Now, if I could only find a 127 stainless steel reel for processing the film, I wouldn't have to suffer with the confounded plastic ones...

Terry

Charlie-J
07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
My father gave me a new Baby Rollei when I was 12 years old, in 1965, and it produces WONDERFUL images! You will be astounded by them! I still use it occasionally. Now, if I could only find a 127 stainless steel reel for processing the film, I wouldn't have to suffer with the confounded plastic ones...

Terry

Terry

If you dont mind the postage you can get a stainless Hewes 127 reel for Paterson Tanks from Retro Photographic in the UK.They are a bit pricy at 22.99
Go to there site and do a search for 127 and you should find it.

They also list 127 B&W film and Colour 127 film that is in date.

I use a Rollei 4X4 I find the Efke B&W a bit of a pain as it curls real bad, I wish I could get some E6 127 films.

Charlie

tbm
07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey, Charlie--thank you for the referral! I just e-mailed them in the UK from my house in Los Angeles and asked them if they ship to the U.S.

Terry

Mark Layne
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Hey, try a Yashica 44 hood on the Rollei. I have a Yashica 44 and a Sawyer's 44. The hoods are the same size and the screw holes are almost identical.

Check out the listing for a Yashica 44 hood here. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yashica-Yashica-44-TLR-Viewing-Hood-Light-Black_W0QQitemZ110066307185QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3003 7QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)

Dave

Walz also made one

kiku
07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi Dave! Believe the request was for a "lens hood", not a viewfinder hood.
Cordially, Howard Tanger

Dave

Emile de Leon
07-04-2007, 08:00 PM
If anyone wants a Baby Grey Rollie in excellent condition let me know. I bought this a couple of years ago and had Marflex give it a CLA and overall checkup. This also comes with a sealed brick of unused but outdated B&W Efke film and a patterson film development tank. I'm going to Ebay this soon. I never got around to using it. All reasonable offers considered. Contact me if interested at www.deleon-ulf.com. Emile.