PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting tired............

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

juan
07-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Is there any chance of getting the DVD in PAL format for us UK folks?

DVDs work a bit differently - they are based on regions of the world. A DVD can be made to play in all regions - in fact, AFIK, most small production run DVDs are produced to play in all regions. It only makes sense to regionalize DVDs for the big movie producers who can make different editions for different parts of the world.
juan

ben-s
07-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Ben,

Surely that depends on the origination format. i.e. if the video is originally high-def, that can be converted to NTSC or PAL without disproportionate loss. However, if the origination is standard def, the process of conversion from NTSC to PAL may negate any potential quality advantages. Most current DVD players / TVs (in the UK) will display an NTSC signal.

Another suggestion if the video origination is high-def might be to provide an HD version to the end user...

hope this helps,

Tom.

Yes and no.
It wasn't the quality I was on about, it was the whole standard.
Most editing systems will allow you to render out PAL or NTSC as you like, so I was wondering if this would be done as an option.
Assuming SD throughout, my modus operandi in this type of case would be to record PAL (higher res), edit and render out both formats.
I'd then create region free DVDs from those files.

eddym
07-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Hang in there, Ron!

Ole
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
PE,

I'm looking forward to your book and DVD.

I understand very little of emulsion making, but my chemistry background at least allows me to realise how little I know - and I believe that even that little is far more than most others, including at least some of those who have claimed to make their own fast emulsions.

Put me down for one copy of each. :)

Photo Engineer
07-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for all of the support. I'm still hard at work typing away on the kbd. I am lining up the graphs, charts and still photos that I'll need to insert into the book and seeing how to get rights to some of them. I cannot take photo micrographs for example, and so will have to use some from other sources.

I will probably be doing the DVD in HD format on a MAC and will probably use Final Cut for the editor. A friend is a capable videographer and editor. I have a script outline that will show emulsion making, finishing, dye sensitization, and then film, paper and plate coating. This will be about 6 parts. The outline of the book contains two parts with some repetition....

Part I is what is going on and why and Part II is the entire set of formulas. This section hopefully will contain a selection of those used by friends as well, used with their permission, and also a section of formulas dredged from memory that I used to work with at EK. They will probably be impossible to reproduce exactly on paper, and will certainly be impossible to do at home without automation, but there will be a chapter on that as well. (the repetition will be mainly due to the fact that I expect some people to skip Part I and go right to Part II, but this might not be the best, so I'll repeat some crucial points in the experimental part)

I hope to include a complete listing of patents as well. I made a recent posting here on APUG of patents which gives some idea of what I've been looking at.

PE

Sal Santamaura
07-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Ron,

It's only the Internet! Ignore those who criticize or make unsubstantiated claims. Press on with your laudable work.

While hoping to continue using Ilford's products for the rest of my photographically productive life, I'll nonetheless be happily purchasing two copies of your book and DVD as soon as they are available. One set will be to keep and another to give a friend. Best of success with this project.

dyetransfer
07-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all of the support. I'm still hard at work typing away on the kbd. I am lining up the graphs, charts and still photos that I'll need to insert into the book and seeing how to get rights to some of them. I cannot take photo micrographs for example, and so will have to use some from other sources.PE

Hi Ron - My father has a photo-micrograph setup used for photographing sprayed metal coatings. It would probably work for photographing emulsions, but I'm not sure. You wouldn't need the slicing and polishing equipment, just the microscope. Maybe we could check this out when you visit here. I think I could persuade my father to lend it to you, he isn't currently using it.

Regards - Jim

Sirius Glass
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I agree that the thread should stay on the OT which is an important topic. While I do not ever think that I would start making film, I support PE's work on his book and his contributions to APUG. I think that it is important to document making film not only for historical purposed but also because there are those people with more drive in that direction who should have every advantage of knowledge and experience.

By the way, I for one would be willing to try micro-brew film.

Steve

Ole
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I've moved the Mac/DVD off-topic posts to a separate thread here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/40659-dvd-mac-spinoff-pes-thread.html

Photo Engineer
07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Ole;

Thanks, but I didn't mind. The info was educational to us all. No problem with me. I learned a lot.

PE

Ole
07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
So did I, PE, but since it was turning into a completely separate subject I decided to see if it could be done without interrupting the flow of the thread. I found that it could, so I did. ;)

Besides - I found a "request" for that when reading slightly between the lines, but that was what made me look for the possibility in the first place.

Sirius Glass
07-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks Ole.

Steve

rwyoung
07-09-2007, 08:05 AM
My plan right now is to have a textbook of about 150 pages and a DVD of about 2 - 6 hours long with it showing how to do things. I'm in the midst of writers block having found I did things wrong somehow. So, I have to cut and past and in the mean time, I was APUGing. Some of the posts by others bothered me. As you see.

PE

Ron -
If you start to compile a list of pre-release date sales, please add me to the list.:D

Keep up the good work!

I have the same problem as several other posters. VERY INTERESTED in what you are doing but not in a financial / room to work / too many other things going on situation to try anything. Hell, it seems like accomplishing a lot if I just move a box of camera gear from one corner of storage to another these days!

Jordan.K
07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
PE,
You can count on me purchasing your text and or dvd whem they become available. I for one really do appreciate what you are doing. I sincerely thank you for all your efforts and look forward to someday being able to make my own film and paper using your techniques.

Photo Engineer
07-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm up to 110 pages. Still writing.

PE

dmax
07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Ron,
Your work is far more important than most people realize. I do know that you have the support and encouragement of the APUG community. I look forward to seeing the publications.

As a battered survivor of publishing technical material, may I offer a few suggestions that may (or may not) be of help? Since the intended audience consists mostly of educated practitioners, a "map" of the relevant variables helps immensely. In visual terms, a grid of the variables and their relative values of importance. The grid of course simplifies understanding the potential direct, indirect, and interactive effects of one primary variable with another. This can then serve as the basis for discussing first-, second-, and third-order effects/outcomes. This "map" also helps organize the buildup of descriptive material as you write.

I work with index cards arranged and re-arranged into separate stacks as I begin to fit in data and build text. This is my version of "random access memory", learned when the term "computer" still meant slide rules. Eventually the stacks of index cards self-configure themselves into the chapters and sections. If I have an important item that I still had not come up with, I simply write on an index card "Graph goes here", or " Results of second confirmation run goes here." For me the index card method works ten times faster than any computer, since the cards are physical and visual at the same time.

Know that you have our collective support, as well as my admiration for your dedication.

Rico

jstraw
07-17-2007, 08:41 PM
I have no plans to coat anything myself but I'm going to buy your book in order to support your work and to get one more copy of it out into the world for posterity.

I won't rule out the possibility that I'll change my mind about trying something after I've read it.

Your work is valued, Ron. Thank you.

Photo Engineer
07-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm a workin on it! Right now, reached another impasse requiring reorganization of the text. But I'm at about 110 pages. I have a friend who has published (samizdat) who I'm seeing in a few weeks. I'll talk to him about some options.

The book reads reasonably well in first draft. The DVD will help immensely.

I'll keep you all posted.

With my thanks.

PE

eddie gunks
07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
i think your work is important and interesting....and needed. do not worry about copy rights....put it out no matter what! it is necessary info so do not let it go with out passing it on.

someday i would like to coat my own film. someday we may need to be able to do this in order to shoot film.

thanks for your effort. put me down for a copy.

eddie

Photo Engineer
07-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Eddie;

Cost to me so far is over $10,000 USD. Beleive it or not. Silver and the blades are expensive.

Sorry for the personal note.

PE