PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting tired............

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

rmazzullo
07-18-2007, 09:54 AM
PE,

Please put me down for two sets (book and DVD) when they are published. I know I am going to wear one of them out from repeated reading / viewing.

Thanks,

Bob M.

scottengle
07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Count me in for a copy as well.
My apologies for not getting involved directly with
the discourse here sooner, but a poor computer, a going out of business
darkroom, and full time studenthood have conspired to limit me
to observer status.
I have slowly but surely been acquiring materials to begin my
own emulsion experiments, and wanted to give a bit of thanks
to you and all of the other participants on this forum.
As I close the doors to my darkroom I am experiencing
first hand the impact of digital, yet I am so pleased and
satisfied to see this exchange grow and flourish!
As soon as I get results, good or bad, I'll be sure to post them!
oh, one more thing...is silver/sulfide the appropriate ISE probe to
measure pAg+?
best of luck to all!

Photo Engineer
07-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Silver sulfide has been used, but is not preferred.

Usually, we used either pure silver or silver plated with the dominant halide used in the precipitation. The potential was expressed as vAg rather than pAg due to the fact that vAg was more accurate and precise.

I have posted some comparisons of vAg and pAg here before. Here are a few others. These are taken from the emulsion simulator I described in another thread.

1.0 molar KBr, Predicted vAg = -110.48 mv, found -110.4
0.1 molar KBr, predicted vAg = -50.17 mv, found -50.2
0.01 molar KBr, predicted vAg = 7.14 mv, found 7.4 mv

I found these in an old notebook.

PE

z-man
07-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Eddie;

Cost to me so far is over $10,000 USD. Beleive it or not. Silver and the blades are expensive.

Sorry for the personal note.

PE

THE TITLE is accepted english translation of a story hundereds of yrs old that will allways be pertinant

around 1970 i accepted a consulting position with a published author who was not, then, fluent in english, but was very experinced in self publishing and had very deep pockets

thru my association with him i learned the book publishing trade here in the us

music publishing, my particular area of expertese at the time, i learned after my own work was stolen and then played in 24/7 rotation in the ny metro area around 1968- i had been in the music biz since 1954-and that is how i came recomended to this author

i hope that pe will continue to share all aspects of his project so that 'those who dont' can become aquainted with the incredible investment in both time and $$$$$ necessary to bring this baby to birth

pe has allready put in public domain, here in posts, enuf real info to have filled many books, and the lost real income from his alltruism is enuf to give any nyc lawyer nitemares

all who allready profited from his personal commitment to education and the idea that those who know must tell those who dont, must support him in all ways available to them

fair is fair

vaya con dios

Daniel_OB
07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
PE
you are much more respected photographer than you think. It is difficult to find "good" and usefull book today, but no question your will be more than fine. You are not in any "trouble", as you said, and good news is you made it known we can expect your book. I think also you should think to expand the content out of making own film... but also and to include so many other things. It will find wider audience and ALL beleive in you, again, far more than you think.

www.Leica-R.com

Simon R Galley
07-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Dear PE

I will certainly buy the book, and it will have an 'honoured' space in our library
of Photo Journals dating back to the start of the last century.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

abeku
07-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I will also buy the book/DVD. It sounds like a great idea. Count me in!

haris
08-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Ron,

My deepest and most sincere respect for your work. Ones existance on this planet only can be judged by hers or his legacy, and yours will surely be honoured.

All the best, and enjoy life,

Haris

Photo Engineer
08-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Try starting here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/40625-making-dye-transfer-matrix-film-9.html

And read to the end of the thread.

It seems that I am a fake and have lied about my Kodak credentials.

This is what I'm talking about, and it gets so discouraging. Why does this go on? Why is the internet like this? I just cannot understand. I feel like giving up when I actually get as many notes like yours above as I do those at the referenced URL by Michael.

PE

Steve Smith
08-07-2007, 11:11 AM
I doubt that I will ever make my own emulsion but I find your posts fascinating, informative and well presented.

I'm not sure why the internet 'is like this' as you put it, but these people are best ignored (easier said than done, I know).

Since you can prove your abilities with results from actual film and paper coated, it really doesn't matter if your highest qualification is a PhD in chemistry or a driving licence for a lawnmower. It's the practical results that count (not that I doubt your credentials).

Please keep posting - I will definitely by a book.

Steve.

Michel Hardy-Vallée
08-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Ron, the person questioning your abilities is not even making the effort to support their own claim. "I could prove..." is not an argument, and is just a manner to put a cloak of invisibilty over the missing evidence.

Lots of words, lots of mighta coulda shoulda, but nothing substantial.

BTW, it was cool to see your name in the chapters on color photography in Haist!

Photo Engineer
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks Michel. Yep, I'm in Haist several times and was one of the people who proof read the original manuscript. Grant is a great person. I wish you could all meet him.

PE

CBG
08-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh my....I just read as much of that other thread as I can take. Pure disruptive trolling.

Once again, someone with little to offer has the chutzpah to take potshots at those more worthwhile. Pretty much the same as the nice people who wriite computer viruses. Easier to tear down others than to make a contribution onesself.

I have relatives who worked in color research at Kodak, and see PE's work preserving what's transferable of the art and science of emulsion making as really important - and hugely generous. I just want to say thanks.

PE, I would be pleased to purchase one of your books when you publish.

Thanks!

C

Photo Engineer
11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Well, here is an update.

I'm finally near a reorganization of the book.

Her is a generic outline:

Introduction and general chemistry.....

Part 1. Old processes (with help and contributions from Mark Osterman of GEH) - this is still possible, but may depend on market. Your response is needed here.

Part 2. How Kodak did it. Then, how Kodak does it.

Part 3. How we have to do it in our home labs and why.

Part 4. Experimental with formulas

Part 5. Testing methods for what we can do.

Part 6. Experiments to try in the future.

Something like that..........

I have gotten a contact at EK that might help me with approval of any copyright material. I hope to have an update on this later, but things are looking good here so far.

I'm working with two people on making the video which will probably be made in 2 parts, one in the winter months here, and one at the Formulary later next year. It will probably be about 1.5 hours long with a lab and classroom portion. Taping of the entire 'class' may be as long as 5 hours or so though.

The gnats buzzing around my ears have essentially vanished. One person that gave me a lot of trouble here, was recently banned from another forum for apparently posting 'data' from experiments that were never carried out. I'm sorry to hear this type of thing, but the truth will out. I make mistakes and when I do, I try my best to correct them, but I will never fabricate data. (note to Sean or the moderators - remove this paragraph if you feel it necessary)

So, things progress.

I owe two APUG members some Azo type paper on baryta. I'll fit this in during the next few weeks. I have an in home workshop coming up in 2 weeks, and I have one APUG member that got some paper for testing and never responded to me at all.

Thanks to you all for your support. I wanted you to know where things stand. You can see the latest plate results posted in another thread. Quality improves on film and plate even if speed does not. I hope to have a jump in speed soon, of about 1 stop.

All the best to those interested.

PE

rusty71
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
That's good news. Will the book be available through a textbook company in the US? I'm thinking this would be a great text for a college level workshop. A lot of students seem interested in trying to make a unique emulsion.

Photo Engineer
11-13-2007, 09:50 PM
IDK.

Still looking.

PE

David A. Goldfarb
11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Sounds great, Ron.

As to your question on old processes, I'd like to see a chapter on that--maybe streamlined descriptions with formulas and enough info for someone to try them out and get their feet wet, and then a bibliography for further reading on each process.

I think Focal Press would be a likely publisher.

Photo Engineer
11-13-2007, 09:58 PM
David;

Mark Osterman has written something that I have been tentatively given the OK to use as a first part to the book. I'm working on many of the things you describe. You see your errors after you read it and try and do what you just said. ;) ..... You learn the hard way that you have not written what you really do sometimes.

Sill a workin' on it. :D

PE

Terence
11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Even if I don't have a chance to try emulsion making soon (limited by space, finances and an already long list of hobbies), I'll certainly be on the wait-list for the book and video. It is fascinating stuff, and may become necessary stuff, if such processes are to survive.

Photo Engineer
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM
I may try booklocker.com, as it has been suggested to my by an author friend.

PE