PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting tired............

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

bdial
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree with David, I think a chapter on old processes would be good.

If you aren't planning on an Ebook, POD publishers don't tend to have a good reputation with booksellers, IDK about booklocker.com specifically. But if you can get an outfit like Focal interested, you'll likely have a better chance of getting it into book stores, if that's a goal.

abeku
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Keep up the good work, PE! The outline sounds exciting.

gandolfi
11-14-2007, 03:37 PM
hi PE

I've only tried making my own emulsion once or twice (and VERY simple emulsion, that is)...

but I'd buy the book (DVD)as I think it is a fascinating world..

the trouble here in Denmark is the strickt laws, regarding buying and handling raw chemicals, so it might never be possible to try out more elborate recipies..

I have, however used Liquid emulsions for more than 20 years, and I think 90% of my images now are made using liquid emulsion.

A huge request, however....:

when reading a book/text from america, the quantities/temp and so on are made in a strange seperate language..;) (inches/Fahrenheit/ounces/grain and so on)
but sometimes these are "translated" to redable mesurements as mm/gram/Celsius ... maybe in a "(...)"..

how are you doing your book?

also, when mentioning the chemicals, a list of international names/formulas would be nice.. So many names for the same chemical. ex. Silver nitrate (AgNo3).
then there will be no confusion for us, when trying to order the chemicals...

Apart for this request, I think your work is commandable!

I'll attach one image made with homemade emulsion - just a simple test.
(It was so much fun, and the result ok...)

Photo Engineer
11-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Very nice image.

My book is being done with dual units for everyone. I use chemical names and trivial names both. I will specify wt/wt, wt/vol and etc on all items so that you know where I am.

Gee, I may even break down and do structures if I can find my organic structures template.

PE

Craig
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, here is an update.

Part 1. Old processes (with help and contributions from Mark Osterman of GEH) - this is still possible, but may depend on market. Your response is needed here.
PE

For historical interest this would be interetsting. Is your book going to be limited to B&W processes, or colour as well? I'd be quite interested in old colour processes.

Photo Engineer
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
There will be information on old color and new color but for color in general there are plenty of books out there right now.

Historically, there is the book "History of Color Photography" by Friedman. This says it all.

PE

Kirk Keyes
11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
PE -

The format for the book looks great. As you may suspect, I'm interested in techniques to measure and help control the emulsion process - both how EK did it and what we can do in our own darkrooms.

Think about how we can incorporate any of the relatively inexpensive testing devices that are available these days like stick/pocket pH and conductivity meters, as well as where full blown devices like ISE electrodes could be used.

Photo Engineer
11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
A friend is giving me advice on that. One of the things I have to locate is a source of very pure silver wire or silver billets. The jewelry silver may not be pure enough. I need 99.99% pure silver for the electrodes.

We will also be experimenting with corona discharge. He has worked out a theoretical method for doing it in a home lab.

PE

Thomas Bertilsson
11-15-2007, 01:06 PM
PE, I'm not sure if this helps, but a lot of high end audio interconnect cables are made from pure silver. I would look up manufacturers of that type of equipment to see if:
a) is the silver pure enough for your purposes?
b) where do they get it?
I would suggest checking out Audio Advisor, or Acoustic Sounds on the internet as a starting point. They both (should) carry cables of such disposition.
- Thomas

Photo Engineer
11-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Thomas;

Thanks. I'll follow all leads. I have quite a few now.

PE

Struan Gray
11-16-2007, 02:51 AM
Goodfellows (www.goodfellow.com) are an impeccable source of high purity metals. They are happy to supply small quantities too.

Photo Engineer
11-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Struan;

Thanks. This looks promising. Now all I have to do is save up my money. :D

PE