PDA

View Full Version : TRAVELING PORTFOLIO PROJECT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Robert Kennedy
10-30-2003, 11:49 AM
So your decor is Southwest Danish? Does this mean all the people in your paintings are blond and sunburned? :)

Jim Chinn
10-30-2003, 01:12 PM
I thought Southwest Danish was something you find on the Taco Bell 99cent menu in Texas.

Aggie
10-30-2003, 01:39 PM

ChuckP
11-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Shipped the portfolio out today via priority mail to John Douglass Callow. He's #19. Nice to see everyone's work. Don't normally see that many alt process prints that I can actually hold. Looking forward to a second round.
Chuck Pere

Nige
11-05-2003, 05:06 PM
can someone remind me what print I put in? :) (Once it gets back round again I want to have my print ready to go, and I don't want to print the same one!!!)

bmac
11-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Ok kids, we are two people away from the end of the list. I'm just checking to see what people think of the current roster. Does anyone want out? Any lurkers want in? Let me know. Also, how do you guys feel about the order? Should everyone kick in a couple bucks this time around to help with shipping it internationally? Let me know what you think.

Nige
11-05-2003, 07:42 PM
How long has it taken to get around? It will do a circuit twice a year I guess. I'm ok with the cost of sending it back across the Pacific (or the Tasman if Sean gets back in his allocated spot!.. the Postal calculator said it wasn't much diff for either destination even though ones a LOT closer!)... it's only money...

It was originally mentioned about the possibility of starting up another one if this one went ok (which I think it has... I'll comment on that below) so if no-one wants to drop out, and there's enough new interest then maybe another one could be started.

My thoughts on the current one...

- Great to view the prints, alternative process and 'conventional' (gotta distance ourselves from those 0s & 1s generated ones)
- Really enjoyed everyones commentry accompaning their prints.
- There's a lot of cardboard in there! (bumps the cost of sending it across oceans)
- It's taken quite awhile to get around, athough I don't think that's bad as such. I wonder if people are prepared for it (ie have your print ready) I wouldn't have been except it detoured to some other people before I was intended to get it, which gave me extra time I wouldn't have had. By the time I sent it on, I'd still had it for about 2 weeks.
- Some prints are in folders/plasitc sleeves/etc which makes pulling them out to view more inconvienient/fiddly than needs to be. (I put mine in a plastic bag as I stuck my info on the back at the last minute and was worried the glue wasn't completely dry... someone can turf my plastic bag now if they think of it)

If another one gets going, I would consider having it unmounted prints, or a minimal mounting method for those processes that require it (and I'd put a normal FB print into the 'not requiring mounting" category) It's nice to see the work presented nicely, but for these purposes I'm not sure window matts, double matts, etc are needed (mostly around the cost to send, they do fit in the case) I guess I consider the print I put in as a throw-away, which probably isn't the case for some of them!

anyway.. that's some of my thoughts...

next opinions...

Aggie
11-05-2003, 08:14 PM

Jim Chinn
11-06-2003, 12:20 AM
I would be happy to kick in $15 to help defray some of the overseas shipping costs. Who do I send it to?

Count me in for another go around.

If we have just a few more participants ask to join, maybe we should have two portfolios with a smaller number in each. It would get around faster allowing more work to be shared and viewed.

I can understand to need to standardize the mounting/presentation. Perhaps as Aggie suggested, ask everyone to either not mount or use a single piece of 2-ply card. I would prefer the 2 ply card method.

David A. Goldfarb
11-06-2003, 01:05 AM
Since I was at the top of the list, I'm really looking forward to seeing what's there. When it's on the way back to New York, it would be nice to have an APUG get together to view the portfolio after its first round for contributors and non-contributors alike..

I think people should present their work as they would like it to be seen, with some upper limit as to how much volume they can take up (no dioramas!). The original limit of twenty participants was enough to let everyone submit one print mounted on 4-ply board with a 4-ply mat. If it's turning out that enough people are inclined to send unmounted prints, we could add a few more participants to the portfolio.

It does take a long time to go around, but I don't mind that. I'd rather see a bigger selection of more people's work than the work of fewer people more frequently. On the other hand, if some would like to start one or more smaller, faster traveling portfolios, that would be great too. There's no reason we can't have several going at once.

The order could probably be smoothed out a bit to keep the shipping distances as short as possible, since it seems to jump around a bit within the U.S. I don't mind picking up the hop from New York to the UK.

Aggie
11-06-2003, 01:26 AM

Ole
11-06-2003, 02:48 AM
I won't be mounting mine. I do, however, intend to put it in a clear archival Mylar sleeve to protect it from friction during transport. But even that depends on the condition of my first print - I may change my mind.

I see no problem with shipping it to Mexico: There are three postage levels in Norway: Inland, Europe and Elsewhere. And the cost difference between Europe and Elsewhere isn't all that big, either.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the portfolio again!

Nige
11-06-2003, 06:20 AM
yes, for the guys early on the list, it will be like getting it for the 1st time! :)

David A. Goldfarb
11-06-2003, 08:12 AM
I originally proposed 4-ply, because it is the most popular and most easily obtained, though New York galleries have been moving toward 8-ply.

ChuckP
11-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Having just shipped it off I'd say that there is still a lot of room in the case. The current weight is 7lbs 11 oz. I also have no problems with an extra fund for overseas shippers. I sent an unmounted print but did put it in plastic with a top sheet and a piece of mount board for protection. I do think the mounted and matted prints worked OK and that it adds to the presentation. Guess I don't look at my print as a throw away and handled the others in the same way. I don't mind doing the unpacking sometimes needed. I do feel that dents, dings and scratches can detract from the viewing experience so understand why people want to protect their print.

David A. Goldfarb
11-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Maybe the best thing to do at this point, then, would be to assess it when it is full (there are still two more to go before it gets back to me), and then we can figure out about how many more will fit, leaving a margin of space for people to change their presentation styles along the way.

Another interesting thing with this project is to see how people are mounting their work, so I think there is some value in that.

Aggie
11-06-2003, 05:25 PM

bmac
11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm open to anything. If people are ok with doing low res scans of their images, I'm fine with doing them too. Just let me know.

Brian

Nige
11-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I think the lack of discussion about the actual prints could be because of the time delay between when each participant has it, and the fact that the majority haven't seen most of the prints. This will always be the case, as each time you get the portfolio, you'll have 19 new prints to view so each participant will have a different set of prints they've viewed (how's that for a confusing sentence!)

I see two ways to discuss the prints... firstly you could email/pm the maker directly and secondly... wait for it... digital!!! We could scan our prints and upload into the critique gallery. Maybe we could do this when you take it out of the portfolio, so everyone gets to see it 'in person' before commentary is made. As a participant you could write down your comments (or use your memory if that works for you) when you've got the prints and upload later when the print gets uploaded. A variation of this could be to only have the print that's just been removed uploaded so we all discuss that one intensly for a week or so, then move on to the next one as that leaves the portfolio.

bmac
11-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Guys, we dont need high quality scans in order to do this. I can take care of it when it gets to my place next time. I'll snap off shots of the mwith my 10d on a copy table. It'll take 5 seconds per print. No worries. So basically, I guess the best t hing to do is have everyone who does NOT want their print scanned for discussion, PM me. I'll create a page of the images and ask Sean to upload it to the section of the site that is password protected. Sound good?