PDA

View Full Version : TRAVELING PORTFOLIO PROJECT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Les McLean
03-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I will post the portfolio to Ole in the morning, Monday 15th March and have emailed him.

David A. Goldfarb
03-15-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Les!

Just checking in from Krakow. Internet cafes are ubiquitous here, so I'll look in every few days.

There are digital photo labs everywhere, but you can easily buy B&W and color film in 35mm and 120 at all kinds of places, and darkroom supplies seem easy to obtain.

Ole
03-16-2004, 02:40 AM
With any luck, the portfolio will get here while I'm still home. My print is ready to go, so I will ship it as soon as I can!

Ole
03-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Portfolio's arrived!

If oyu don't hear from me the next week, it's because I'm too busy looking at prints to log on to the net...

I'll see how I feel my print measures up - or if I should make a new one.

David A. Goldfarb
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for checking in, Ole. I e-mailed you an updated list of participants with the mailing order a couple of weeks ago, and I don't remember if you confirmed receiving it. If you could print it out and replace the list in the portfolio, that would be great. If you didn't get it, let me know, and I'll see if I can re-send it.

Bruce Osgood
03-23-2004, 12:45 PM
snip

Ole. I e-mailed you an updated list of participants with the mailing order a couple of weeks ago, and I don't remember if you confirmed receiving it. If you could print it out and replace the list in the portfolio, that would be great. If you didn't get it, let me know, and I'll see if I can re-send it.
END SNIP

If it is not to late to be included on the mailing list I would like to add my name. If this can be done, PM or e-mail me and I will send the address.

Ole
03-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Thanks for checking in, Ole. I e-mailed you an updated list of participants with the mailing order a couple of weeks ago, and I don't remember if you confirmed receiving it. If you could print it out and replace the list in the portfolio, that would be great. If you didn't get it, let me know, and I'll see if I can re-send it.

I have received it, and will print it out.

If David approves it, Bruce can replace Cem Topdemir?

David A. Goldfarb
03-24-2004, 05:23 AM
Ole and Bruce, we've already replaced Cem Topdemir and we're up to 21 participants, which is probably about the limit given the amount of physical space we have in the portfolio, the time it takes to travel the complete circuit, and such.

Bruce, and anyone else who is interested, I'll start a new waiting list with you, and when it gets back to New York some months down the line, we'll see what the situation is in terms of people staying in or dropping out and how much space there is in the portfolio. If there are enough people interested (i.e., if the waiting list is long enough), it might make sense to start a second portfolio.

Rather than accumulating requests to be added to the list in the forum, why don't people PM me here on APUG. If there are only a few requests, we'll just keep it as a waiting list to add new people as others drop out for one reason or another, and if there are enough to justify a second portfolio, we'll discuss that when the time comes.

Aggie
03-24-2004, 12:31 PM
I double matted my picture. This time around I will only single mat it so there will be room for one more.

Ole
03-30-2004, 03:46 AM
Portfolio on its way to Downunder.

Aggie, your mat isn't the thickest one...

Nige
03-30-2004, 05:14 AM
Ole, me or Sean? (better print something either way!!)

Ole
03-30-2004, 05:28 AM
It's Sean first, according to the list I got. So that's where it's going!

David A. Goldfarb
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Ole.

Re: the matting issue.

There was one on foamcore, I think with a double overmat, when I got it last. If we could keep it to two sheets of 4-ply maximum (mount support and overmat), that would be good.

I decided to submit an 11x14" print this round, so I sent it unmounted in a glassine sleeve with one sheet of 4-ply mount board to protect it in the sleeve.

I don't know how everyone feels about this, but it would probably protect the prints best if everyone were to mount to a uniform size to keep prints from sliding around in the mail. and to make the whole package sturdier.

Ole
03-30-2004, 09:20 AM
I decided to send an unmounted print more or less for the same reason. Glassine sleeve, but no mount board. I considered doing that but decided I'd make it easier for others to decide whether or not to bother with taking it out of the sleeve ;)

Since some prints will have to be matted (platinum deserves it, at least), I agree to sticking to 11x14" size either mounted or unmounted or loose with protective sleeve.

That is going to come back to haunt me next year...

David A. Goldfarb
03-30-2004, 12:19 PM
The potential danger of submitting unmounted prints without a backing board and sleeve, I think, is that someone--perhaps a customs officer deciding to inspect the portfolio in transit--might lift the prints out in a stack, an unmounted print might slip out by a few inches, and the stack might then be stuffed back into the portfolio, creasing the print.

The hazard of submitting a mounted or unmounted but unmatted print without a sleeve that is less than 11x14" is that it will rub against the mount above it as it shifts around in the case and the print surface may be scratched.

A potential problem with submitting prints on various sized mounts is that a print on a larger board that is adjacent to a print on a smaller board might bend and become warped as the weight shifts in the case.

If all prints were mounted and matted on 11x14" board, the stack would be more solid for shipping, and a more uniform presentation might make it easier, say, if someone wanted to organize a small show of the portfolio as it passed through their town.

On the other hand, a non-uniform presentation makes it possible for all the participants to see how each person normally mounts his or her prints. For instance, on the first round, I decided that I liked Jorge G.'s style of hinge mounting better than my own, so I decided to switch to his method.

lee
03-30-2004, 12:23 PM
I have thought in the traveling portfolio that I can afford to lose the print if it is damaged. While I don't want it to be destroyed, it is something that I am prepared to live with.

lee\c

David A. Goldfarb
03-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Me too, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to mount my print in such a way that it could inadvertantly damage someone else's print, and I could imagine that at some point, someone might want to submit a Polaroid or bromoil or gum over platinum or other kind of irreplaceable print, and it would be best if everyone felt safe about it.

lee
03-30-2004, 01:43 PM
good thought...always thinking of me first. :) But given the nature of how it is shipped there will undoubtably be some loss.

lee\c

Ole
03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
The potential danger of submitting unmounted prints without a backing board and sleeve, I think, is that someone--perhaps a customs officer deciding to inspect the portfolio in transit--might lift the prints out in a stack, an unmounted print might slip out by a few inches, and the stack might then be stuffed back into the portfolio, creasing the print.

I thought that was why it's locked :whistle: ?

lee
03-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Jay,
I don't have a problem with that at all.

lee\c