PDA

View Full Version : TRAVELING PORTFOLIO PROJECT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Nige
05-25-2004, 07:59 PM
BTW Jorge, my wife really liked your current portfolio pic... although she was contemplating cropping some of sky off the top... I told she wasn't allowed to do that :)

Jorge
05-25-2004, 08:23 PM
BTW Jorge, my wife really liked your current portfolio pic... although she was contemplating cropping some of sky off the top... I told she wasn't allowed to do that :)

:o ......

Nige
06-01-2004, 07:01 AM
The portfolio has been sent... keep an eye out for it buddy!

Jorge
06-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Great Nige....will do!

David A. Goldfarb
06-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for checking in. Aggie, let me know if you have any trouble getting in touch with Chris G. Just let him know that he's after Jorge and should be getting a print ready.

The waiting list is up to three. If a few more join over the coming months we can think about splitting the portfolio and starting a second one for the next round.

Aggie
06-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Talked to him last week. He knows and also knows he needs to get back on line. He is getting prepared for the portfolio.

kwmullet
06-02-2004, 12:34 AM
David, since your PM mailbox is overquota, and part of this note is to sound out the North Texas folks about something, I'll just do this as a post. Hope nobody minds.

Short request: please add me to the waiting list.

Longer request/idea:
Perhaps it might be worthwhile to start a portfolio from the North Texas area. I did a quick, unscientific headcount of APUG folks within 45-minutes or so of where I am in Denton and came up with:

username location #posts
lee Fort Worth TX 1042
Jeremy Moore Denton, TX 525
Lex Jenkins Fort Worth, Texas 230
garryl Fort Worth, TX 80
glewis Fort Worth, TX 33
Super Graphic Guy Corinth, Texas 30
kwmullet (ME) Denton, TX 20
Jimbob Flower Mound TX 4
a0667318 Irving, TX 1
oculus76 Arlington, Texas 0
garyetx Arlington, Texas 0

(sorry. tried wrapping code tags around it in the editor, but it just didn't work, so the spacing is funky)

What do you think about starting a portfolio from the North Texas region and splitting the cost of the case, if it's not really expensive? David? North Texans?

Theoretically, we could all get together at some central and/or available location, contribute our prints (or view the portfolio AND contribute our prints successive times around) and send the portfolio on its way the next day.

Jeremy
06-02-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm all for a get-together here in the DFW. Hopefully we can postpone it by until July so I can get some new AltProcess prints ready... my UV box should by operational by mid-June (fingers crossed!)

Jeremy

David A. Goldfarb
06-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Okay, I cleared out my excess messages, so those of you who tried to send me PM's can do so now. I'm out of town through the end of June, so I won't be checking as often as I otherwise do, but I'll try to look in once a day or so.

Anyone is welcome to start a special interest portfolio at any time. I'm just the organizer for this general one, but if there is enough interest for a Texas portfolio there's nothing to stop you from starting one. I'd recommend opening a new thread for it, just to avoid confusion with this one.

The case we use is a Tenba Port-Air Fedex 11x14", which has held up and protected the prints pretty well, and it doesn't add too much to the shipping weight compared to other shipping cases. You can price it out at bhphoto.com, but I think it was a little over $100, which was split among the original participants. The f/32 Travelling Exhibition uses a tube to accommodate larger prints, unmounted of course, which is another good option.

If you're all in the same region, though, why not have a group show? The attraction of the Traveling Portfolio is that you can see work from people in different places. If you're all in the same place, it might be easier to have some sort of face-to-face get-together.

Ole
06-02-2004, 10:54 AM
The case we use is a Tenba Port-Air Fedex 11x14", which has held up and protected the prints pretty well, and it doesn't add too much to the shipping weight compared to other shipping cases. You can price it out at bhphoto.com, but I think it was a little over $100, which was split among the original participants. The f/32 Travelling Exhibition uses a tube to accommodate larger prints, unmounted of course, which is another good option.

I'm on both the APUG and the f32 portfolio, too! In fact, I just shipped the f32 portfolio to David...

The Tenba case still looked good last time I saw it, and has been holding up remarkably well to the vagaries of the numerous postal services of the world (including the Swimming Burro).
The F32 cardboard tube will probably need replacing fairly soon, despite going to a far shorter list of recipients. On the other hand it's a lot cheaper than the Tenba case. Another advantage is that it takes far larger prints, which seems to be important to many of the f32'ers.

BTW, Jorge: Have you started putting out carrots for the burro yet?

Jorge
06-02-2004, 11:17 AM
No carrots, beer......

kwmullet
06-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Actually, I wasn't thinking of a texas-only portfolio, just that if a second general portfolio got kicked off here, it could start off with a good number of prints right off the bat. If the general portfolios need to start out in California, though, that's fine.

bmac
06-02-2004, 02:24 PM
No carrots, beer......

beer on the porch... you might see me on your doorstep soon :D

Jorge
06-02-2004, 04:29 PM
beer on the porch... you might see me on your doorstep soon :D

LOL....come on down bubba...!

David A. Goldfarb
06-02-2004, 10:03 PM
KWMullett--Send me a PM with your name, postal address, and phone number, and I'll add you to the list.

I got another request, so I think we're up to five right now on the waiting list, so it's looking like a second portfolio is a good possibility. Before splitting it, I'd like for the current round to finish out, so that everyone who is currently on the list gets to see the current prints, and so the transition can happen in an orderly way. This would also give more time for new participants to announce themselves and for the list to settle a bit, and then we can think about how to divide the groups for maximum variety of quality/experience/processes/subject matter/geographic distribution, etc. and minimum shipping time. I'm willing to put up the cash again for a second shipping case, and those who didn't contribute to the first one can contribute to the second.

I figure all this should get going in about 6 months or so, if there are no major postal or participant hangups.

kwmullet
06-02-2004, 10:19 PM
done, David.

This is really splendid. Of course, now I've got this growing problem with APUG. This site and the community behind it outranks any of the other sites by so much, it's hard for me to get motivated to spend time reading them. :)

Jorge
06-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Well, the burro beat Brian to the beer on the porch...miracles do happen....BTW Brian, you are slowing down bubba.... ;)

bmac
06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
haha!

Jorge
06-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Well guys, I just saw my dog being run over by a car and killed, the f*cking woman did not even had the decency of stopping. Anyhow I am too depressed and sad to do any printing, so I am just going to get the portfolio on the way to the next person. Sorry, but I am really bummed out.

bmac
06-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Jorge,

That totally sucks. I can't believe she didn't even stop. Why don't you hold on to the portfolio a while until you are ready to print?