PDA

View Full Version : TRAVELING PORTFOLIO PROJECT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

David A. Goldfarb
04-03-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't see why we can't have it both ways. If some people want to post scans of their submissions for the portfolio, then we could create a portfolio gallery, and those who want to post can post, and those who would prefer not to, as Bartleby said, need not post.

bmac
04-03-2003, 02:10 PM
</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jdef @ Apr 3 2003, 09:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I understand the differences between a real print and a scanned one, as we all do, but if the attitude Brian expressed in his post prevailed there would be no gallery. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
I really don&#39;t understand your point there... Care to explain? I think it is great that Aggie has offered to scan the prints, and anyone who is interested in getting a scan should contact her. I for one will post a scan to the gallery if and when I want to. A lot of work goes into preparing an image for uploading, I would want to be able to tweak the scan to suit my tastes. Make sense?

Jorge
04-03-2003, 07:32 PM
When we first started to discuss this project it was borne out of the lack of quality scanned images have. So to scan them now is actually going backwards. That, said I suppose that when the portfolio has all 20 prints it would be good to have a locked gallery where nobody can upload or download the images. This would be good for the purpose of discussion and for members who did not participate to get an idea of the diversity of the work. At the momnet I would not want the image I sent scanned, merely because I would want to keep some kind of control on how the image looks.

Aggie
04-03-2003, 07:44 PM

Jorge
04-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks Aggie&#33; Glad you liked it. Still I think we should better wait to scan the images. I suppose that on the second go around when we replace the image we can scan the old one and post it. I kind of like the element of surprise the portfolio has at the moment, so I would be a little dissapointed if I got to see the images here before I got to see them for "real". I guess we can make an informal "vote" but I would preffer to have the scans at the second go around after of the "old" image.

Ole
04-05-2003, 07:46 AM
I agree with Jorge.
The surprise element is important, and I would prefer not to know what the images are. But as for scanning what&#39;s been taken out after the first round, that could be nice.

Aggie
04-05-2003, 09:42 AM

Jorge
04-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Not controversial, I think it was a nice offer and you could probably do a better job than me, so go ahead and scan mine but dont post it if you dont mind. Maybe when I fix my pc you can e mail me the file. Thanks aggie&#33;

Aggie
04-08-2003, 06:52 PM

chrisl
04-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Wow&#33; What Great photographs&#33; I really like them all&#33; I feel privileged to add my shot&#33; Jorge, fabulous tones and a great subject&#33; Les, really captivating image the way you shot this image, I really like it. And Ole, I absolutely love that nude&#33; She&#39;s beautiful and the image is tonally great as well. David, great shot and very interesting history. I&#39;d like to go there sometime. Cem, love the blue tone on that image (wish you had incl. the details), it works real well. And Aaron, I also like your image. Now I know what detail is available with an 8x10 negative&#33; lol Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the great work and I&#39;m bummed I not going to see the rest&#33;

I&#39;ll get it off to Brian here shortly. I still have to cut some mats and figure out which way I want to mount the print. I all have at home right now is some archival reversible glue so I&#39;m thinking of just taking down the corners with this. I&#39;ve never used it before so I&#39;m hoping for a reasonable level of flatness in the end. (gotta admit, the dry mounted prints are nice)

Again, Great work everyone&#33;

Chris

Jorge
04-09-2003, 01:58 PM
</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ Apr 8 2003, 04:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The portfolio is now in Berkeley with Chris. I handed the case off to him this morning.

The scanner was broken and needs a tech to fix it, so no scans Jorge. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
LOL...typical uh?

chrisl
04-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Ok, got the print spotted and mounted. I used David&#39;s method of flattening prints under books (unfort. didn&#39;t get all the particles off surface first and have a couple of very small indents in image..aargh&#33;) and corner triangle holders. Worked out real well excepts for indents. I&#39;m going to UPS it to Brian on Monday morning.

Poco
04-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Howdy, Folks&#33;

I&#39;m the last member on the list and can&#39;t wait until the mailing finally gets around to me.

But what I&#39;ve found surprising, while I wait for burros and row boats to do their thing, is the lack of technical (or aesthetic) discussion, on this board about the portfolio. Are the works included so far so well annotated that there&#39;s simply no need for further discussion, or was I wrong in hoping to learn a whole lot from this process (beyond the fact that others are likely much better photographers)?

Again -- I&#39;m not complaining. But I would like to know what to expect.

-Michael

Donald Miller
04-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Chris,
I have found that, at times, small indents can be greatly alleviated and in some cases removed by using deionized or distilled water and a small spotting brush. By placing a very small drop of the water (approaching the size of the indent) on the indent and rewetting the emulsion that the emulsion will "swell" and rise to the level of the unaffected surrounding emulsion. Hope this helps. Good luck.

David A. Goldfarb
04-16-2003, 08:41 AM
I think the discussion of the contents of the portfolio will increase as there is more there to discuss and as more people have seen it. So far it has been to eight people, so there are 8 prints and of course not everyone has seen them all. I&#39;ve only seen my print and Cem Topdemir&#39;s, since we put in the first two prints, and we talked about them when we met down at the Caffe Reggio in the West Village of Manhattan. So give it time, and I think the discussion will follow.

Ole
04-16-2003, 08:48 AM
I have discussed David&#39;s, Cem&#39;s and Les&#39; print extensively with my wife, but nowhere near as extensively as she discussed mine...

It&#39;s still a little early to discuss online, too few people have seen too few prints.

Poco
04-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I just suspect that some of the prints will be eye-opening for me and I&#39;d hate think I won&#39;t learn from them. The interesting "long tonal range" thread suddenly put the worry in my head.

Aggie
04-16-2003, 01:11 PM

bmac
04-17-2003, 02:39 PM
The portfolio has made its way to rainy Sunnyvale&#33; I am just finishing up the info sheet on my print, and am going to show it off to some coworkers today and tomorrow. It will be on its way Friday afternoon for monday delivery to the next on the list. Now I just have one question... which one of you submitted a photocopy of your butt as your print??? Just kidding&#33;

Brian

lee
04-17-2003, 02:43 PM
</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bmacphoto.com @ Apr 17 2003, 09:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> It will be on its way Friday afternoon for monday delivery to the next on the list.

Brian </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
That would be me&#33;

lee&#092;c

I am gonna try and meet with Donald in Oklahoma some where so he can get a feel for the project. My print is ready for inclusion.&#092;