PDA

View Full Version : <warning> Boring BS Soft Focus Pics </warning> Spencer Portland Achromatic Meniscus!

Pages : [1] 2

jimgalli
07-07-2007, 02:59 PM
:D:D

You know the drill by now.

Here's a link (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Achromatic_Meniscus/Achromatic_Meniscus.html) that illustrates what an Achromatic Meniscus will look like at different apertures, same subject.

Some AM's are; the Venerable Kodak Portrait lens, The Spencer Portland I used, Gundlach Achromatic Meniscus, and a host of others. None are common except perhaps the Kodak.

They have a fine look both sharp and soft. Tell me what you think, and list your favorite AM's that I didn't mention.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Achromatic_Meniscus/Achromatic_Meniscus.html

CRhymer
07-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Hello Jim,

I think your first link has a space rather than underscore between the second Achromatic and Meniscus. The second link works.

Cheers,
Clarence

jimgalli
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks Clarence. I always seem to get some little booger to mess it up :rolleyes:

Lachlan Young
07-07-2007, 05:42 PM
There is something about the eyes on that owl that make it look somewhat freakish - that and the fact that it is sat atop a cigar...

The range of sharpness that lens covers is certainly pretty dramatic - very handy, I imagine, in the studio!

Lachlan

athanasius80
07-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I had no idea a meniscus could be that sharp!

copake_ham
07-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Wow, I had long ago forgotten about White Owl cigars! I vaguely remember them being advertised in the 1960's which, by then, would NOT have been blended with Havana (while not a cigar smoker, I can still commiserate with the loss of Havana's [legally, that is] in the U.S. - stupid embargo - glad to know many honor it in the breach!)

Anyway, as you might guess, I favor the sharpest shot - especially as it shows the "HTL" inside the tobacco leaf stencil. But that might be because the close-up shot seems to be like an advertisement where you expect to see sharpness to read all the text.

Still getting over seeing the name White Owl again!

jimgalli
07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Wow, I had long ago forgotten about White Owl cigars! I vaguely remember them being advertised in the 1960's which, by then, would NOT have been blended in Havana (while not a cigar smoker, I can still commiserate with the loss of Havana's [legally, that is] in the U.S. - stupid embargo - glad to know many honor it in the breach!)

Anyway, as you might guess, I favor the sharpest shot - especially as it shows the "HTL" inside the tobacco leaf stencil. But that might be because the close-up shot seems to be like an advertisement where you expect to see sharpness to read all the text.

Still getting over seeing the name White Owl again!

I have a funny story about "White Owls".

Seems one of my best buddies girlfriends really had a profound dis-like for me. I know, it's hard to believe. So she asks me and my new bride over for fancy dinner. About a week prior she calls Pam and asks, is there anything that Jim really doesn't like? Pam says, yeah, he doesn't like mexican food. So we get over on the evening and she has 7 fancy courses of diabolical mexican food. All I could eat was bread and butter.
Well, not being a person to get mad or hold a grudge, I visit their home about a week later with some of those White Owl Cigarillo's. Smoked a whole pack of 'em in her living room. Smog so bad in there you couldn't see across the room. I believe she probably had to re-paint to get rid of the smell :D :D
My wisdom rubbed off and my pal got rid of her within the month. That was about 1976 iirc.

PHOTOTONE
07-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Actually, unless I am mistaken, White Owl cigars (in some form) are still available. One of the cheap "drugstore" brands now, along with Roi-Tan, and Phillies and Kind Edward.

Kino
07-09-2007, 09:09 AM
I have a funny story about "White Owls".

Well, at least she didn't leave the mayonnaise jar in the sun and have you over for a tuna fish sandwich! :p

Ach! He taunts us with his pretty glass! Great lens, that Spencer!

Rolleiflexible
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I love the way the highlights go diffuse. That lens earns its reputation.

Jim Noel
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Jim,
your images are never boring. If the image itself isn't of high interest to me, the dialog with it always is informative and interesting.

Keep boring us like this.

Jim

Jim Chinn
07-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I think I remember when I was a kid George Burns smoked White Owls and was a spokesperson in the 60s or early 70s.

Thanks for the new lens postings Jim. I have read a couple of articles recently bemoaning the fact that today's photographs have become all to sterile with perfectly sharp lenses and photoshop tweaking. These are once again good examples of how you don't need a $2000 lens to provide an image with both quality and character.

JohnArs
07-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Jim and now lets talk about money. I have a Imagon and 5-6 other SF lenses but for all others which need it, how much do you want in hard USD for this baby!
Do not tell me you want sell it;--)))
Chears Armin

jimgalli
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Jim and now lets talk about money. I have a Imagon and 5-6 other SF lenses but for all others which need it, how much do you want in hard USD for this baby!
Do not tell me you want sell it;--)))
Chears Armin

Armin, it WAS for sale. It is on it's way to the UK. Wish I had a half dozen of them. Cheers. Jim

PHOTOTONE
07-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I believe George Burns smoked El Producto Queens.

keeds
08-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Obviously not up to Jim's quality but here are a couple of quick portraits with said lens. One is wide open at f/5.6 the other at f/11. Please excuse the exposure/contrast/dust/scan. Need some practice with Jim's patented shutter and my contact printing technique (oh and composition etc........)

Details:
Spencer Portland 15"
Fomapan 100 8x10
Ilford WTFB

jimgalli
08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Off to a lovely start. Hope you have some fun with that.

keeds
08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Looking forward to playing with it. More film supplies have just arrived. I need to do some testing but f/5.6 with more contrast or f/8 will probably be the sweet spot by the looks of it. Thanks again Jim.

Charles Webb
08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Wow, what a terrific demonstration, but I do, or must have some sort of problem, heck I like em all, can't pick one over another.

Thank you Jim for sharing with us, Wow again!!

Charlie........................................... .....

Jim Noel
08-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Jim,
The image at f8 is the most pleasing to me. The 5.6 seems a little too unsharp on my monitor.
Jim