PDA

View Full Version : Slide projector magazines

Stan160
07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I am planning to buy a 35mm slide projector in the near future.

Will be quite happy with something basic and simple - second hand preferred - but there is one requirement: I currently own a number of Gnome magazines, the straight ones holding 36 slides each, because my father has a Gnome projector. I want whatever I buy to be compatible with these magazines so I can easily use either projector.

My understanding is that the magazines are known as "universal" and probably work with Boots, and possibly Hanimex projectors as well as Gnome but can't find any information as regards model numbers or other manufacturers which produced compatible projectors. Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
Ian

Steve Smith
07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
My father had a Hanimex projector with dozens of magazines. I'm sure they also fitted a newer projector so I assume they were universal. I think some of them were Boots branded.
When I get a chance I will look for the manufacturer and part number.

Steve.

Jim Noel
07-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I think you will only find used projectors. Kodak was about the last to make them and they stopped several years ago. Try your local camera store, B&H used department.

3Dfan
07-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Adorama.com has 2 new slide projectors listed as accepting universal trays.
http://www.adorama.com/KMAF.html
http://www.adorama.com/KMD1500.html

Stan160
07-10-2007, 05:59 AM
It's looking like the universal magazines are in general truly universal on most projectors made in the last 30/40 years, except possibly some of the very cheap and basic ones, and those designed to take a circular magazine of course.

There are a few more options for new projectors in Europe - Braun and Reflecta are still available new, priced from about 120, in addition to Kindermann. Ebay is looking like a good option though, now I am feeling a bit more confident that universal really does mean universal!

Stan160
07-10-2007, 06:57 AM
As luck would have it, the next item to end in the Slide Projectors section of eBay was a Rollei P355, for which I have just paid 24 including shipping.

I think it takes universal magazines, certainly it takes straight ones, but at that price it is worth a gamble. Looks like a nice unit, with auto focus, wired remote, and takes very cheap and easy to obtain halogen lamps.

Ian Grant
07-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Ian, the Rollei projectors are excellent, very solidly made so you've done well.

I may have some spare magazines if you need some, from memory I seem to remember the early Gnomes were different.

Ian

Stan160
07-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Ian, the Rollei projectors are excellent, very solidly made so you've done well.

I may have some spare magazines if you need some, from memory I seem to remember the early Gnomes were different.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I will wait to get my hands on the projector and find out how compatible the magazines are. I have shot 7 rolls of slide film since Easter, after a 15 year gap, so more magazines are going to be useful.

My father's projector is a Gnome Classic, either 744 or 746, bought in the '60s, so not sure if that counts as early or not. I think he paid a similar amount to what I have just spent on the Rollei - just that it was something like a month's wages for him at the time!

Stan160
07-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Ian

It turns out the Gnome magazines I already own won't fit the Rollei. The projector has a raised guide which slots into a recess on the underside of the magazine when loaded. The Gnome magazines don't have this recess.

Never mind, the projector is solid and in perfect working order, it came with three 50-slide magazines, and spare magazines are cheap and easy to find.

Ian