PDA

View Full Version : ULF - do you always make an exposure?

Pages : 1 [2]

Jim Chinn
07-26-2007, 11:46 PM
One of the reasons I decided to invest in medium format was for situations like this. If it is to windy for my 11x14 or 7x17 at least I can make some exposures for enlarging or if its a once in a lifetime shot I can later make a digital negative for contact printing. Like Michael pointed out, I'm not going to waste the ULF film and chemistry unless I am sure its going to be sharp.

Murray@uptowngallery
07-27-2007, 01:32 AM
At least there's no donkey to take out time after time...

Wow, that extended project goes on and on...

Kimberly Anderson
07-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Wow, that extended project goes on and on...

...with no end in sight. :D

It will take a while to do properly.

George Losse
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
When I set up the camera and am ready to make an exposure, I have to ask myself, "Am I sure...at least $25 dollars and 2 hours in the darkroom sure...that this will be an image I want to look at again?".

I couldn't have said yes to that question yesterday...and am debating about going out again today.

This is a location that most people will never visit in their lifetime...even those who are out on the lake regularly. I get to this location on a frequent enough basis that I know when the time is right I'll get a keeper.

Michael,

No mater how many times you visit a site, you'll never have the negatives from the film you didn't expose.

Everytime you point a camera at a subject you are different then the last time you pointed the camera at even the same subject.

If you are thinking about the costs of the film then maybe ULF is not the best fit for you. There are so many things that can ruin an explsure, film costs can not be on your mind while you are working.

Kimberly Anderson
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Michael,

No mater how many times you visit a site, you'll never have the negatives from the film you didn't expose.

Everytime you point a camera at a subject you are different then the last time you pointed the camera at even the same subject.

If you are thinking about the costs of the film then maybe ULF is not the best fit for you. There are so many things that can ruin an explsure, film costs can not be on your mind while you are working.

George,

Good points...I know all of them.