PDA

View Full Version : ULF - do you always make an exposure?

Pages : [1] 2

Michael Slade
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Went out yesterday to the lake with the express intent of making at least one 12x20 image.

Drug the camera across 1/2 mile of mudflat, set it up, storm coming in, nice light, etc... TOO MUCH WIND.

Waited about 2 hours, never died down enough to make me feel good about making an exposure. Very frustrated.

http://www.tawayama.com/blog/drinkingwateronmudflat.jpg

Alex Hawley
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Wind can sure be a decisive factor. My other problem is that sometimes the sun and clouds just don't cooperate no matter how many positive vibes I emanate.

photomc
07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Not sure that it is just limited to ULF, Michael but I do understand your frustration.

Pinholemaster
07-25-2007, 08:29 PM
You're a brave man letting your dark cloth blow in the wind like that.

scootermm
07-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I can relate to the frustration Michael... literally as Ive done that with the 12x20 as well.
Many times Ive hauled out the camera... even driven hundreds of miles, and not exposed a neg. But its the ones in between, the ones that do work that seem to make it worth while.

what I want to know is where you got that fancy rolling cart :)

TheFlyingCamera
07-25-2007, 09:09 PM
B&H carries them, and so do a number of other camera stores- it's made by Ruxxac I think. Very handy for hauling large burdens, and they fold more or less completely flat. The wheels fold in to the chassis.

Scott Peters
07-25-2007, 09:48 PM
I feel your pain....drove couple of hours to make 3 pics one time...But I try and enjoy the experience anyway. And as they say, beats a good day in the office...

Try and carry a big golf umbrella if it is really windy. This may allow you to shield for long enough to get an exposure?

Michael Slade
07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I think it is the same cart that was mentioned. I do remember not knowing how to pronounce the name, so that sounds familiar.

The umbrella trick is a good one. I'll see if I can't go to the golf store tomorrow and get one.

I want to head out to that spot again and try to make another negative while this monsoonal storm pattern is stuck above Utah. Problem is with the whole monsoon thing, it usually brings wind.

If I can get a few minutes of dead air I know I can make a nice image out there and it'll be worth dragging the camera across the mud.

It's rained today though, so I might have to rig up a backpack of some sort and haul it out that way instead of rolling it across the desert. We'll see what the weather brings tomorrow.

photomc
07-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Wesco also makes a hand cart like the Ruxxac. The box is what caught my eye.

Scott Peters
07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
You may want to try a Vigoro garden cart at home depot for around $60. Inflatable wheels for rough terrain and its plastic so lighter, but holds up to 300 pounds (maybe more). And it collapses for easier transport...
the bigger wheels, inflatable, may make it through the mud? Holds my 7x17, holders, tripod, cooler, etc. Can't forget the cooler...

jimgalli
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Michael, your pictures are gorgeous. Click on the extended link and choose the slide show. That's it I'm quitting my job tomorrow!

Richard T Ritter
07-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Nice sail on that camera.

Yes I have picked up a camera and walked away from a photo, sometimes after few minutes sometimes after an hour or two. Part of it is I know I can come back and try again sometimes with much better results. When I get the bigger cameras out I know what I am after and going back a few times is part of the adventure of getting that prized photo from that spot.

RTR
www.finefocusworkshops.com

Michael Slade
07-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Box = custom for the Korona 12x20. Box = heavy. Box = not very portable. Box = a new solution is needed. Box + a little water on the mudflat = I get to invent a backpack for the shot. :(

EDIT: Jim: I looked for the slideshow on your site...I can't seem to find one. But I love looking at the wonderful images from your various cameras/lenses.

Richard: You are the man. Your camera solves the very problem I'm fighting. Until the 'loan' of this camera ends, I'm tempted...but just tempted to call and order one. When the 'loan' ends you can be sure I'll call. ;)

Jeremy
07-26-2007, 10:31 AM
EDIT: Jim: I looked for the slideshow on your site...I can't seem to find one. But I love looking at the wonderful images from your various cameras/lenses.

you silly man, you, he's talking about your website and slideshow! i agree with jim, some stunning work

rootberry
07-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I will have a 12x20 one of these days, but for now it's just 8x10. The first week I had the camera, I drove 2,000 miles and made 2 negatives. I think if I went a good location in Utah, that I'd take as many shots as I could even if there were hurricane winds!

George Losse
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Michael,

There are days when I travel with the 8x20 in the Jeep with me and don't make an exposure all day. But generally once the camera is out and set up on the tripod, I make an exposure.

On really windy days I like to stay home, I find I get less stressed that way. The only time I will set up on a windy day is if I'm traveling in an area I'm not likely to be back to. Then I make the exposure, but the words that get spoken are not all that nice.

scootermm
07-26-2007, 03:55 PM
...but the words that get spoken are not all that nice.

so true indeed george, I have spoken those same words many times.

Michael Slade
07-26-2007, 04:23 PM
What words are those? I've worn out all of my choice ones. :D

When I set up the camera and am ready to make an exposure, I have to ask myself, "Am I sure...at least $25 dollars and 2 hours in the darkroom sure...that this will be an image I want to look at again?".

I couldn't have said yes to that question yesterday...and am debating about going out again today.

This is a location that most people will never visit in their lifetime...even those who are out on the lake regularly. I get to this location on a frequent enough basis that I know when the time is right I'll get a keeper.

tommy5c
07-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I've been in the same situation. my only problem is explaining to my wife, why after an entire day out "taking Photos" i didn't take a single "picture". Yah i think that is the most difficult part. I'm sure on those days she thinks i'm just out drinking. (some days I'd rather be)

sanking
07-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Went out yesterday to the lake with the express intent of making at least one 12x20 image.

Drug the camera across 1/2 mile of mudflat, set it up, storm coming in, nice light, etc... TOO MUCH WIND.

Waited about 2 hours, never died down enough to make me feel good about making an exposure. Very frustrated.

http://www.tawayama.com/blog/drinkingwateronmudflat.jpg

You should have made the exposure. With the wind and a slow exposure speed you have out of the box Pictorialism.