PDA

View Full Version : Share your "Unloved" photos!

Pages : [1] 2 3

darinwc
07-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Please share your photos that you personally like, but they dont seem to get alot of attention. Here is one of mine.
Canon AE-1, canon 50mm f1.8 lens

Michel Hardy-Vallée
07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
This one gathered attention from a member because it had not received attention, so I guess it qualifies.

BTW, great idea Darin.

DannL
07-31-2007, 03:08 PM
Polaroid Automatic 340 loaded w/ 120 film (ISO 100) in a 6x9 adapter.

nicolai
07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I have a similar thread on this (http://photondetector.com/blog/2007/01/24/hated-photo/) on my blog.

Ed Sukach
07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
I would LOVE to participate... I have many images that would "fit" the criteria ...After all, this is "the way I work".
Right now, it is a matter of self-preservation. There is just far too much emotional reaction to anything I may say or do involving aesthetics. My only goal here at the moment is "oil on troubled waters".

I'll will be watching the thread. It sounds like a wonderful idea.

Terence
07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't have a scanner, but I would include my vast collection of tombstone/cemetery photographs. I became fascinated by tombstones of the 1700s and 1800s, and have photographed hundreds and hundred of them, usually with dramatic skies, foliage, etc. The textures of the old stone and lichens and mosses are fascinating to me. But I was told by my last girlfriend that they would not make good presents for friends. Perhaps that's why she's a former girlfriend . . .

Ed Sukach
07-31-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't have a scanner, but I would include my vast collection of tombstone/cemetery photographs.

You should visit this town, Ipswich, MA. We have many very old grave sites, the earliest dated 1647. This was the first stone marker in this "The Old North" Cemetery. Previous to that markers were wooden, and have not survived the elements.

Of course we are *no* competition for Europe, but certainly we have one of, if not the oldest, cemetery in the United States.

copake_ham
07-31-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't have a scanner, but I would include my vast collection of tombstone/cemetery photographs. I became fascinated by tombstones of the 1700s and 1800s, and have photographed hundreds and hundred of them, usually with dramatic skies, foliage, etc. The textures of the old stone and lichens and mosses are fascinating to me. But I was told by my last girlfriend that they would not make good presents for friends. Perhaps that's why she's a former girlfriend . . .

I've got tons of unloved photos.

Not sure if this is one - but I post it in "sympathy" for Terence.

Terence
08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
You should visit this town, Ipswich, MA.

Actually, I grew up in Somerville, and have spent loads of time all over the north shore (A.K.A. God's Country). My parents now live in Belmont, down the street from Mt Auburn Cemetery. Hardly one of Boston's oldest, but I love the Egyptian Revival gates, and the bizarre list of who is buried there. I recently came across Buckminster Fuller's grave by accident. It's also a great place to spot hawks, owls, and the occasional eagle.

Akki14
08-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I absolutely love cemetery photos. I went on a field trip once to Kensal Green Cemetery (london) and I keep meaning to go back there. It's lovely. And there's no entry fee or camera charge like there is for Highgate.

I have loads of unloved photos. I'll have to think of which ones are really really unloved to post :D

Jeremy
08-01-2007, 02:16 PM
here's one of mine. a fuji 645 shot on HP5 cropped. I really like it, but no one else does :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1115/743376244_832acec0be.jpg

Terence
08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
here's one of mine. a fuji 645 shot on HP5 cropped. I really like it, but no one else does :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1115/743376244_832acec0be.jpg

6" higher and I would have liked it more . . .

darinwc
08-01-2007, 03:13 PM
I dont know if the print carries the details, but in this image the bottoms of the pants are too dark to see. Also I think if the right 1/3rd was cropped off it would make for a tighter composition, but with enough negative space to keep the mood.

Jeremy
08-01-2007, 04:12 PM
I dont know if the print carries the details, but in this image the bottoms of the pants are too dark to see. Also I think if the right 1/3rd was cropped off it would make for a tighter composition, but with enough negative space to keep the mood.

The print doesn't loose any of the detail (though the jpeg does). Actually, I made the image as part of my picture of the day on my blog so it was cropped to a 16:9 ratio for the project.

Jeremy
08-01-2007, 04:12 PM
6" higher and I would have liked it more . . .

how so?

Michel Hardy-Vallée
08-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I can see detail pretty clearly in your print, Jeremy, it's very good. Perhaps other people's monitors are just too contrasty.

GraemeMitchell
08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I shot an old hospital (http://graememitchell.com/blog/dammasche-or-a-now-defunct-mental-health-hospital-part-2)and quickly rejected the pictures I took, too garish; I was too immature to realize what I was feeling, probably still am. Ditto with this project (http://graememitchell.com/blog/senior-bowling-pictures).

Bad pics, good lessons.

Bandicoot
08-06-2007, 07:52 AM
I absolutely love cemetery photos. I went on a field trip once to Kensal Green Cemetery (london) and I keep meaning to go back there. It's lovely. And there's no entry fee or camera charge like there is for Highgate.

You could try Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park too. Another of the Magnificent Seven (the cemeteries originally opened to solve the overcrowding in all the city churchyards) and now a park and nature reserve. Also free, and not crowded. Near Bethnal Green tube.

Peter

ChrisC
08-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I've always had a hard time passing this off as interesting, but for some reason I've always been drawn towards it, and infact wanted to go back with my 4x5 and try again. Maybe I should and see if I can come up with a composition that other people like more.

Shot it with a Yashica 635 TLR on FP4+ 120.

Michel Hardy-Vallée
08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Chris, I would hate for you to jeopardize your photo with other people's taste! The composition is spot on, and very clever.

I find that many of the "unloved" photos so far are perhaps more photographers' photographs than they are work destined to a general public. I think that's because they focus on the photographic work rather than crowd pleasing. At any rate, they are shots that resolve their maker's vision, but may not necessarily mean the same thing to someone who is not privvy to the act of making pictures.