PDA

View Full Version : Lith print exchange, anybody interested?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Mark Layne
08-29-2007, 06:13 AM
If there is space I would be interested as I do quite a bit of lith
Mark

kjsphoto
08-29-2007, 01:47 PM
I am interested but I usually do everything on FB and mount and matt and would feel cheated if I received a loose RC or FB print as I put a lot of effort into my work.

rst
08-30-2007, 06:02 AM
I am interested but I usually do everything on FB and mount and matt and would feel cheated if I received a loose RC or FB print as I put a lot of effort into my work.OK Kevin, I can understand your point. In my first print exchange I felt like a cheater because the others sent way better images than I did. In my second print exchange I felt like a cheater because I sent RC and got FB and platinum back. Now I wonder how I will feel in the current round. So for the Lith Print Exchange, if we end up in the same group, I promise to mount and matt the image I send to you. But who knows if you will like the image I am going to send, you may feel cheated.

ciao
-- Ruediger

mikeg
08-30-2007, 06:50 AM
I can understand your point too Kevin. I have only sent fibre prints for exchanges. They are toned and spotted, titled, signed and dated on the reverse. They are my best work.

I don't mount or matt the prints as I find that the mounts do not survive the post that well. The few mounted and matted prints that I have received over the years have all been damaged in some way. Obviously you can really go to town with the packaging to prevent this, but this will increase the postal costs enormously. I think that if we forced everyone to mount and matt then the price would be too exorbitant for many people, especially with international postage rates. I leave it up to the recipient to mount and matt the print if they wish.

Part of the enjoyment I receive from the print exchanges is in making and the giving of my best attempt. Obviously, it is disappointing if you receive a piece of work back which isn't up to your own standards -- it's even worse when nothing arrives.

I hope this doesn't put you off (or anyone else) participating!

Cheers

Mike

Ole
08-30-2007, 07:28 AM
My experience is the same - mounts and matts don't survive international mail. I've received one which should have survived, as it was packed between two sheets of plywood. But somehow someone had managed to drive a nail through it! :o

I prefer to receive unmounted prints. Then at least the print has a fair chance of arriving undamaged.

Most of my prints are toned, but this is not so for lith prints. The colour variations in an untoned lith print are very different to what they are after toning, and sometimes I wish to retain the original colours. Any toning that is strong enough to make a difference in archivality is strong enough to change the tone, too.

I will use FB paper this time, though: Of the two "lithy" RC papers I have, one is way too glossy, and the other one is the same emulsion in the FB version.

timeUnit
08-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Me too!

Travis Nunn
08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I too prefer to send and receive unmounted/unmatted prints. In addition to the shipping issue, it makes storage easier, too.

fearc
08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I'd like to participate - really beginning to like lith printing - although a bit nervous about sending work out... would love to send overseas....rate me beginner - intermediate. ..

Gay Larson
08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I would rather not have to mount and matt the print as it does cost more and it is usually to no avail as the matt is usually damaged. I have been in several exchanges and sometimes received prints that took my breath away and other times they made me shake my head with dismay. But I never felt cheated. It all works out in the end. I have sometimes not gotten what I wanted at Christmas too but that is the nature of gift exchanges which is what this really is.

semeuse
08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Can I still jump in here?

blaze-on
08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree with Kevin and had bowed out prior to his post.

There really should be standards set for these exchanges. When there is, I'd love to participate.

Best,

Matt

kjsphoto
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I completely agree. I would of love to have joined but until standards are set forth I am also not going to join this time around.

rst
08-31-2007, 01:38 AM
Kevin and Matt,

I think standards are already set, even if not written down. I assume that the standard is to send the best you can do unmatted and unmounted RC or FB print. In addition to that, participants are allowed to do more. That is how I understand the print exchange. If you set the standards too high, only a few will participate because for most of us your standards may be not reachable. It is a difference if you can mount and matt a print yourself or if you have to pay for it.

Regards
-- Ruediger

rst
08-31-2007, 01:48 AM
I also do not mind sending international. Otherwise I would end up in a one person only group ;)

Same here, Ruediger!
So once we found a Norwegian/German print exchange putting together the groups will be very easy. ;) I offer to organize this.

I'll put myself a notch above beginner, since I've managed to make some lith prints that I actually like - and my wife likes them, too!OK, same here Ole.

ciao
-- Ruediger

kjsphoto
08-31-2007, 02:38 AM
I think you might be missing the point or maybe it is just me, in any case my take on it is this, some of us sell our work as a living and our standards are high but definitely not untouchable as I / we take a lot of pride in every photograph we create. With any photograph I send out in the world if it be for a trade with another photographer of for sale, I always Spot, Mat, mount, number, sign each and every photograph as I only what my best efforts to be seen. I always do it to the highest quality that I am capable of providing.

I do not think these standards are to high at all. If I send a photograph I would expect one of the same quality coming back. I realize that many do this as a hobby and that is wonderful, but if I am going to spend 10-12 hours on a photograph and in return receive one that is not like quality I would be bummed, not upset but I guess more disappointed you could say.

Again just my two cents and they are not worth much anyway...

And please this post in on way was to create a flame war. I am just giving some thoughts on the subject.

Ole
08-31-2007, 03:09 AM
Kevin, I understand your viewpoint very well.

I don't think anyone has intended to send anything but the best they are capable of!

Yet my experience with print exchanges are that mounted prints very rarely arrive undamaged, while unmounted prints are almost always fine.

I don't mount myself; there's a nearby framer who does far superior work to anything I could do without making a huge investment in time, effort and equipment. So any print I receive that's going up on the wall will be professionally mounted, matted and framed.

I prefer to sign the front of the print, outside the image area, and leave it up to the recipient whether to matt it with the signature hidden or visible, or not matt it at all.

I feel the requirement for a print to be matted and mounted to be considered "finished" is a particular USAmerican issue? It never crossed my mind until I read "the Print" that "unmounted" could be equated with "unfinished".

Just my two Ýre - a worthless coin that was removed from circulation several years ago.

tim_walls
08-31-2007, 04:55 AM
I assume that it goes without saying that people will do their best.

I would hate for my 'best' though, as an absolute beginner, to be a crushing disappointment to someone, though. So I'll be more than happy to bow out if the concensus is there should be some minimum level of ability to participate, if that's what is needed to get more of our artisans to join in.

Mark Fisher
08-31-2007, 07:11 AM
I assume that it goes without saying that people will do their best.

I would hate for my 'best' though, as an absolute beginner, to be a crushing disappointment to someone, though. So I'll be more than happy to bow out if the concensus is there should be some minimum level of ability to participate, if that's what is needed to get more of our artisans to join in.

I can also bow out. If it were a standard exchange, I'd have no worries. I was using this as a reason to try lith printing so maybe I should bow out. Please take me off the list as I don't want to be starting something new where people are expecting a bit more.

Travis Nunn
08-31-2007, 07:21 AM
I think it'd be a mistake for a beginner to bow out just because two people want higher standards than the rest. There's more to a print exchange than just getting a nice print from someone. I view it as a way to learn. It's way to see how people that are more experienced are doing things. I never really knew what a "really nice print" looked like until I participated in an exchange and got to see one in person. It forced me to work harder on my printing skills because I could see that my prints were lacking a little. It also gave me ideas on how to do things differently.

Mark and Tim, I'd encourage you guys to participate no matter what level you are. Like I said, a print exchange is more than just getting a good print from someone. I'd be perfectly happy if both of you guys were in my group.

keeds
08-31-2007, 07:35 AM
To my mind these exchanges are about sharing our love for what most of us do for fun. We have no idea of what someone had in mind when they created an image, just as we have no idea what someone else may see in one we ourselves create. Just join in and send what ever you're happiest with.