PDA

View Full Version : Lith print exchange, anybody interested?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

bdial
08-31-2007, 07:41 AM
I agree with Travis and keeds, let's not make this a juried show.

mikeg
08-31-2007, 08:17 AM
I agree too. The print exchanges should be about learning. Learning through making your own print and also seeing other people's prints. It's not about getting a like for like exchange or a cheap way of starting a print collection.

I hope Tim and Mark will reconsider.

Cheers

Mike

tim_walls
08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
I agree too. The print exchanges should be about learning. Learning through making your own print and also seeing other people's prints. It's not about getting a like for like exchange or a cheap way of starting a print collection.

I hope Tim and Mark will reconsider.

Oh, please don't think I'm throwing my toys out of the pram - I didn't mean it like that at all (I did edit my post at least once but obviously not enough ;).) What I meant to say I guess was not to allow newbies in on my account; if we are then obviously I'll be delighted to participate, but equally I'll not be offended if not.

fearc
08-31-2007, 11:59 AM
I haven't participated in a print exchange before (although signed up for one other so am dipping my toes..), i don't earn my living from photography but can guarantee that anything put in the post will be the best i can do - if my 'best' isn't up to another's standards I can only hope to improve - with the inspiration of those others.

if a standard is set - as a group of geographically isolated people -we are the soul judge of our work and so may get that standard wrong (in the eyes of others) - and those who wish for a higher standard may still be disappointed.

I agree with keeds, personally I would feel very vulnerable if the standard of work is such an issue - i don't seek to disappoint anyone.. can't we just enjoy others best endeavors and learn from them good or bad?

blaze-on
08-31-2007, 01:01 PM
The only standard I would like is mounted/matted/signed prints.

Do the best you can, present it the best way.

Shipping mounted/matted prints should not be more susceptible to damage than an unmounted print unless you don't do it with care.

Ole
08-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Shipping mounted/matted prints should not be more susceptible to damage than an unmounted print unless you don't do it with care.

That is not my experience.

And unmounted print is flexible; a mount board can break. And believe me - if anything can possibly break international mail will find a way to break it.

If I do ship mounted prints they won't be dry-mounted on mounting boards, but wet-mounted on aluminium. That at least will give them a 50% chance of arriving in one (unfractured) piece.

Mateo
09-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok, here's the deal: for what I had in mind for this print exchange let's go with following set of standards.
1. this is about sharing what can be done in lith printing with enfasis on the process and not on the value of the prints themselves (I plan on sending out some nice prints and I'm sure everyone else will do their best as well)
2. print size and presentation will not have any requirements
3. it will be open to anyone who wants to print in lith with everyone saying how experienced they are just so we can mix up the groups
4. this exchange will be international

Sorry we can't accomodate everyone's wishes here. Possibly someone might want to initiate a "finished print exchange" with standards that aren't so loose.

Here's a list of those who wanted to join, if you change your mind or I missed you, let me know.

Magnus W
T nunn
Gay Larson
bdial
Ole
sly
Mark Mombarg
rst
mikeg
tim walls
keeds
Thomas Bertilsson
Fintan
Mark Fisher
timeUnit
fearc
semeuse

Some things we need to decide on would be the date that prints should be sent by and the number of people per group. I'm thinking 4 per group and whatever combo of 3 in a group to make the numbers work.

matti
09-14-2007, 03:03 AM
I would like to join as well. My experience with lith is qute limited.
/matti

keeds
09-14-2007, 03:16 AM
Sound good to me. Say a month from now and 4 in a group?

Travis Nunn
09-14-2007, 07:09 AM
4 in a group and send prints by October 31?

semeuse
09-15-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm with Travis - 4 in a group and send by 10/31

mikeg
09-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Sounds good to me. 3 prints to make and send by 31/10.

rst
09-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Me too. 4 in a group and 10/31 as deadline is reasonable. Lith printing is the only printing I do right now, so to make this date should not be too hard for me. I am looking forward to this.

Regards
-- Ruediger

Ole
09-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Being realistic about this, I'll have to beg off this time.

I'm offshore right now, and will probably be here until October 4th. Then there are two concerts on the 27th I'll have to work hard to prepare for - unless I go offshore again before then, in which case I'll probably only have about 10 days at home between now and October 31st.

10 days is not enough to get the inspiration going, selecting a negative, and getting three good lith prints from it. I usually have to try at least four or five until I find one that turns out right, and there's a limit to how much of my rare time off my wife will let me spend in the darkroom...

Maybe next time things will be "normal" at work?

Gay Larson
09-16-2007, 12:11 AM
I like having 4 to a group so it's not a burden to anyone. Thanks for organizing.

Mateo
09-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Sorry Matti, don't know how I skipped you on the last list.

Ok, so if everyone is comfortable with the October 31 mailing date and 4 in a group, let's do it. I've got prints ready to go out the door so any date works for me.

Magnus W
T nunn
Gay Larson
bdial
matti
sly
Mark Mombarg
rst
mikeg
tim walls
keeds
Thomas Bertilsson
Fintan
Mark Fisher
timeUnit
fearc
semeuse
Mateo

One last call for anyone else to join or unjoin and we'll start making up the groups

Mark Fisher
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I think I'll have to drop out this time around. I have a couple of shows I want to print for in that time frame. Given that I need to really learn how to lith print, I really won't be able to hit the dates. Definitely in next time!

Mark

fearc
09-18-2007, 08:42 AM
10/31 Sounds good - 4 different prints or 4 the same?

John McCallum
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Sorry I missed this round Mateo - would like to be in the next one.

rst
09-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Sorry I missed this round Mateo - would like to be in the next one.So why don't you step in for Mark Fisher?

ciao
-- Ruediger