PDA

View Full Version : Plates, Film & Glue?

rknewcomb
08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Hello,
When it comes to using film in plate cameras does the "glue film on a glass plate" idea actually work for more then once-in-awhile? I've read some of whats been posted in the past on this subject, including the use of blueberry jam, but am I kidding myself. Can I use my plate camera without film sheaths for frequent but non professional shooting? What glue is it?

thanks folks!!

Robert Newcomb

David A. Goldfarb
08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
I think the idea is just to put the plate behind the film. Glue is not necessary.

Ole
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM
David is right.

I use a glass plate (or other rigid, flat plate) behind the film, so that the film is where the emulsion of the glass plate negative would be. Since BIG sheets of film (12x16") tend to be rather floppy, I decided it might be a good idea to attach the film to the glass plate - especially as the holders I have are not exactly new or even straight.
Some "tacky" substance was needed for this, and I used what I had: Blueberry jam. This has the advantages of adhering well to glass, staying tacky even when dry, and it's also water soluble and disappears completely in processing.
Orange marmelade (without peel) is even better.