PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Shooting Assignment, September and October 2007

Pages : 1 [2]

Xia_Ke
10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
I never even noticed there was a MSA :( I wonder what I haven't found on this site...LOL

Just entered my shot (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=29029) in the MSA Gallery

barbara ann
10-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Welcome Xia Ke to MSA Gallery. Now that you've found us, stick around for upcoming assignments! Thanks for posting! ;)

jimagain
10-27-2007, 01:37 PM
So here's (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=29059&nocache=1)my post. Actually I posted two. The beach my wife and I go to relax and my wife waiting patiently with out two little dogs while I fiddle with my cameras.:)

John Bartley
10-27-2007, 03:03 PM
In the 1920's a young man accompanied his parents, sisters and brothers on a move from Eastern Ontario to the mining, farming and lumbering country of Northern Ontario. They settled their farm, lived, worked hard and started to prosper. In 1939 this young man and two brothers volunteered for the Canadian Army and then spent six years training in England and fighting in Europe before coming home in 1946. We never heard what happened, but one brother moved away, one worked diamond drill rigs and slowly drank himself to death, and this young man bought a veterans lot next to his Dad and started his own farm. Until his death, he never left the farm except to hunt, fish, and go to funerals. He prospected passionately, and was awarded an honorary lifetime prospectors permit by the Ontario government. He died a couple of years ago at almost 90 years of age.

His name was Ed. I married his niece.

I met Ed in 1978. He and one brother were still farming then, milking and separating by hand, and keeping the cream in a spring fed cooler to be sold to the local dairy. I spent many hours sitting with my back against their cookstove, drinking thick black tea and talking. Ed was a conspiracy theorist with a deep distrust of government and we used to argue about stuff like that. About a year before his death, he let me drive him into th e hospital for some tests, and we were talking about something that led to a bet for a case of beer - I don't remember what we were talking about. Some months later his health finally failed, and as he went out of the house on a stretcher, he gave his brother a $20 bill and told him to give it to me in payment of the bet. He died shortly after. We bought a case of beer with the money and had one at his "grave".

He didn't want a grave or a stone or a funeral. He gave his brother very firm instructions and they were followed. Here's where his ashes are scattered. It's where he used to sit and watch as moose, bears, foxes and other assorted animals would go about their travels. Only a few of us know where it is, so one day I decided I'd make the photo. The gray box at the base of the tree is the box his ashes came home in.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/JohnBartley/Photography/LargeFormat/NegativeScans/EdGrave-750pxw.jpg

I miss Ed (and his brother - who has also passed away), but life goes on and I see both the old guys every time I see the rest of my sweethearts family. Here's the rest of the crew in another spot that's close to us. It's a cemetary that can only be accessed during the summer. It's about two miles into the bush on a sand/gravel road, but it's a nice spot for a visit. My sweethearts parents and sister are buried here as are a lot of her Aunts and Uncles. This is where I helped dig the grave for her cousins Dad. Her cousin was my best man when we got married. It's a peaceful place. We sometimes go and have lunch and a couple of beers when the weather is nice.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/JohnBartley/Photography/LargeFormat/NegativeScans/EdFamily-750pxw.jpg

Life goes on .....

cheers eh?

Dinesh
10-27-2007, 03:43 PM
A marvellous image and a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing something so personal with us John.

John Bartley
10-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Thank you Dinesh. The pictures are easy, it's the stories that are a bit difficult.

For the rest of you who think you "might" have a special item or place or person to post a photo of, or possibly even a story to go along with the photo(s), there's only today and tomorrow left, so get posting and let us see what your heart holds!

Barbara Ann will be making her winners choice over the next few days and the victim ... err ... winner :) will be leading the Jan/Feb 2008 MSA session.

cheers eh?

Marc Akemann
10-31-2007, 09:36 AM
So here's (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=29059&nocache=1)my post. Actually I posted two. The beach my wife and I go to relax and my wife waiting patiently with out two little dogs while I fiddle with my cameras.:)

Hey Jim, thanks for sharing your photos with us! Many of us have patient family members or friends who wait for 'us' while we do our thing. Perhaps something related to this could be a future assignment. Something like, "The Things Our Loved Ones Do While We Fiddle With Our Cameras ", or something like that. ;)

The view from your favorite beach looks like an exciting place to photograph from!

Thanks again! :)

Marc

Marc Akemann
10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I never even noticed there was a MSA :( I wonder what I haven't found on this site...LOL

Just entered my shot (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=29029) in the MSA Gallery

Everyone needs a place to clear one's mind and your place is beautiful!

Marc

Marc Akemann
10-31-2007, 09:47 AM
In the 1920's a young man accompanied his parents, sisters and brothers....

Life goes on .....

cheers eh?

Hey John,

What a great story/photo combination! I could feel your emotion as I read your story and looked at the photographs, which were well done, by the way. Cool stuff.

Thank you,

Marc

John Bartley
11-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Ok Folks .... the September / October 2007 MSA assignment has run its course and I'm told that Barbara Ann has already selected a victim ...errr - ummm ... WINNER to lead the Jan/Feb 2008 MSA.

Barbara Ann will be posting here very shortly to tell us about her decision so stay tuned for that and also for a new thread starting the next round.

cheers for now eh?

Barbara Ann ... ??? It's all yours !!! :)

barbara ann
11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
To all my fellow MSA photographers!
First, let me thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post your wonderful photos and share your truly personal stories in the S/O MSA.
I was SO impressed with the entries, that I pm'd John to see if I could declare you ALL winners. He told me the rule is one winner but I was free to also select runners up, which I have done.
Believe me folks, this was very difficult for me, but here goes:
1st place: Mom and Dad by Film Sprocket
2nd place: The Family by John Bartley
3rd place: An Afternoon with Dad by Shicks 5319
Honorable Mentions:
Mom's Kitchen Part 3 by fhovie
My Favorite Beach by jim again

Congratulations to all and good luck Film Sprocket with the Jan/Feb contest.
Best Regards,
barbara ann

Xia_Ke
11-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Everyone needs a place to clear one's mind and your place is beautiful!

Marc

Thank you very much Marc :)

I'm glad I'm not Barbara Ann! Excellent photos and stories from everyone :D Going to be a tough decision.

This was a lot cooler of a photo assignment than those I have seen on other boards. Was interesting to read the background stories behind the photos.

John Bartley
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Many thanks to everyone who posted photos and stories in this latest MSA and many thanks to Barbara Ann for a great decision on the winning entry. I would have had a VERY hard time deciding who to pick.

Marc, congratulations !! I'll be in touch by PM so we can chat about your MSA assignment.

I hope to see all of you back here along with some new participants for the next round which will be starting in a day or two.

cheers and THANK YOU to all :) !!

Marc Akemann
11-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank you very much, Barbara Ann, for giving us an excellent assignment for our Sep/Oct MSA, and, for tackling the tough job of picking a winning entry. I liked all of the photo/story combinations. A photo may be worth a thousand words, but, with this group, the words coupled with the photos were something else! Another thing I liked about this assignment is that we know a little bit more about each other, besides what camera equipment we use, etc.

John, I look forward to 'talking' with you about the Jan/Feb '08 MSA. I have one idea in mind already and I'm trying to come up with a backup plan, just in case.

I look forward to the Nov/Dec assignment!

Marc

shicks5319
11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
This was a lot of fun. Thanks Barbara for taking on this project.