PDA

View Full Version : Any APUGers in San Antonio???

Pages : [1] 2

jdlehmann
09-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I am interested in starting a monthly meeting to share tips, pictures, equipment opinions, etc. Any takers? The meet-up group is all digital now.

jl

Zebra
09-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Wish I was!! Sold 300 acres two years ago in Pipe Creek, just short of Bandera. Sweetest piece of ground, had a about a mile and half of rock bottom Pipe Creek on it to boot. Damn cedar fever drove us to Asheville, NC. Not bad but not 300 acres of god's country either. (okay I admit I didn't walk away empty handed--the sell led to a 20 x 24 camera in the closet but truth be told I would trade it back for that piece of ground)

Good luck getting the group started. Have a mango margarita at Los Barrios next time your there for me would ya.

best,

Monty

kerrpanda
11-24-2007, 07:47 AM
There are 2 of us in Kerrville! I belong to 2 camera clubs in the area and am still the only iflm/darkroom photographer left! I think your idea is great.
Cynthia

scootermm
11-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Not San Antone... but close, Im an Austinite.

Nice to hear you are starting this up... I hope goes well.

photobizzz
01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Well I am in Iraq but in Oct ---> I will be in Killeen, 45min N of Austin on I-35. Scootermm, what is your normal setup? RF, SLR, MF, LF?? I mainly shoot with a RF but when I get back to Texas and trip to Austin would be nice, some great street shooting in the downtown area.

Jeff Searust
01-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Another here in Austin, LF and MF --not a single camera with batteries and a fridge full of film. keep me apprised ---would even consider driving to SA for a meet.

steelydam
01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm in S.A. - would potentially be interested.

whitecat
02-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm in SA and new here but interested.

manjo
02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I am in Austin.. would not mind driving down to SA if there are ppl meeting there.

CorreCaminos
05-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm in Austin and driving to San Antonio or anywhere else is not a problem. Any meetings yet?

jdaivpmed
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm in SA as well and would be interested.

nsurit
07-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Potential interest if Thursday thru Sunday. I'm at Canyon Lake. Bill Barber

Mike1234
07-26-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm in the NE San Antonio area (Converse) and I'm interested in joining a local group. I've been out of the LF photo arena for a quarter century and am only now climbing back in to keep the fight going. I'll go to meetings.

Mike1234
07-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Woops... looks like this thread was started in '07. OP probably lost interested very early on. Anyone else want to start a group? I'm too old and lazy...

meltronic
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey Mike1234, you're in San Antonio! You responded to my wanted ad for 9x12 film sheaths. Cool. I'm in Austin, but I'd also be interested in meeting you central Texas film dudes in San Antonio, Austin or points in between.

No one has made any solid proposals yet. How about September 12th? We could meet in the basement of the Alamo.

jglass
07-30-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm also in Austin, like half the folks who have responded here. I would be interested, but I'm primarily interested in color film processing and printing right not, especially sharing resources, equipment and chemistry. I'll start a new thread on that, but I'll check back about this group also.

Mike1234
07-30-2009, 07:33 PM
meltronic... still looking for the sheaths... many boxes to dig through :-)

jglass... I'm only interested in color (negs) as well... can be scanned and dealt with as pleased in good old Photoshop!!

Mike1234
07-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Interestingly, as many folks in Austin responded to this thread even though the SATX area has nearly twice the population as Austin... must be the demographics.

At any rate, hey, I'm definitely into some meetings. Maybe some place in the middle... San Marcos or New Braunfels??

jdaivpmed
08-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Mike,

Yes, there's a big differance in demographics between Austin and SA... actually there's a pretty big differance between Austin and the rest of the state, not that that's a bad thing... then again, maybe it is a bad thing. We only have one "serious" camera shop down here in SA and their non-digital selection seems to shrink a little bit each time I go in there, I'm pretty sure Austin has a little better selection so the demographics work to their advantage in some cases.

John

jdaivpmed
08-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Speaking of our lack of photo "resources" here in San Antonio... I'm just getting back into analog photography after about a decade of not having picked up a camera that wasn't digital. I almost fell over when I went in to the prolab to pick up my first batch of 4x5 that I had processed and contact printed... almost $100 bucks for 20 sheets! Ouch.

I have some extra space in my shop and had been considering building a darkroom back there. The cost of having LF processing done here in SA pretty well made my mind up on that issue.

Now the question is... Is there sufficient interest in the SA area to have a "community" darkroom? I would supply the space and all of the hardware, but would be interested in renting out time to other area photographers to use the room for their own work. The room would be equipped with a JOBO for processing, as well as trays, and a couple of enlargers, including an 8x10 color enlarger, overall it would be fairly nicely equipped from a hardware standpoint.

I'm building the darkroom either way, but if there's sufficient interest I will probably make it a little bit bigger if I'm not the only one who is going to be stumbling around in there.

Any thoughts or interest in this?

Thanks,

John