PDA

View Full Version : 14 x 17 film

Dave Wooten
09-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Checking again with my fellow 14 x 17 shooters...hey is this the most delightful ULF format or what?!

Send me a PM if you want to be included in a group order of Ilford for the next order. This order will be through View Camera Store.

as always thanks,

Dave in Vegas

:)

PBrooks
09-07-2007, 01:19 AM
count me in

ReallyBigCameras
09-07-2007, 02:30 AM
Checking again with my fellow 14 x 17 shooters...hey is this the most delightful ULF format or what?!

Send me a PM if you want to be included in a group order of Ilford for the next order. This order will be through View Camera Store.

as always thanks,

Dave in Vegas

Dave,

Why wait until the next special order period? As of last week, Wynit still had some 14x17 FP4+ in stock from this year's ULF special order program. I just received two boxes last week to replenish my freezer stock. I wish I would have ordered four boxes, but as you know it's not cheap.

They may have sold out in the last week, but it's worth checking.

Kerry

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks Kerry,

Great I was nt aware you were a 1417 shooter.

I also got 2 boxes in the last month!

Am wanting to also get in contact with other 1417 shooters and guage the activity hoping to get the use of the format up...on this last order I believe Ilford supplied more than the actual order keeping it in stock longer-thanks Ilford...

Send me PM if you shoot 14 x 17, I havent located more than a half dozen of you all out there?:)

RobertP
09-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Tracy Storer just had his for sale. So there will be a new 14x17 shooter out there somewhere. It is an interesting format. I would have been interested but it seems like everytime I talk about another new camera I hear the wife in the other room loading a clip in the pistol.

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Tracy Storer just had his for sale. So there will be a new 14x17 shooter out there somewhere. It is an interesting format. I would have been interested but it seems like everytime I talk about another new camera I hear the wife in the other room loading a clip in the pistol.

Yes it is on e bay now....and I believe he is designing and building some cameras now. i.e. 20 x 24-can t wait to see it....

Tracy can verify but I believe his camera is one of only 3 14 x 17 cameras that Wisner has built, that I can verify the existence of....they are beautiful and substantially strong at full extension....2 of these are now in Nevada and Tracys presently in California-soon to go to a new home.....if there are any more out there, I d like to hear from you....

The Cailfornia camera can be had for a really fair price-check this forum and e bay...also the "best" (IMNSHO) way to shoot 7 x 17 verticals is with the 14 x 17 and the 7 x 17 back....also you can shoot 11 x 14 in the same holder.

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM

Give Tracy a call, maybe he will give some trade allowance for that pistol!
:D :D

RobertP
09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks Dave but its not the pistol that worries me but what may come out of the part that is pointed at me. I also think it would be a great format with a wetplate holder made for it. I think Kerik is shooting 14x17 wetplate now.

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, Kerik has done some beautiful work in the 14 x 17 format...to me the format has a very substantial presence (print size) for a contact print and is a quite manageable format with lots of options....I thought long and hard before taking the plunge into the 14 x 17 and it is a joy...I have yet to have someone ask me if it is a hassleblad!

You do have to plan your routine and get your moves down and get your organizational skills together....I "dry fired" the camera in the living room and on the front porch before invading the neighborhood and the Mojave with it...I am going to need some more film in a bit...would like to encourage others to consider the format and also get some dialog going among othe 14 x 17 affectionados in the galaxy..

RobertP
09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Wisner ULF cameras and I own a 8x20 expedition is the small 5 1/4 " lens boards. They limit you to certain lenses. Why Ron used that size for his ULF cameras is beyond me. Other than that they are beautiful cameras. I love working with the 8x20, I also had a vertical back made for it. And I was able to get a Wolly 17x20 Versar (22") on the lens board for full length portraits. And the rear half of a 14 1/2" Verito works well too (24"). Ron can make a great camera when he wants to.

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Agreed, I am having a "step up" board to accomodate 760 mm nikor....for that reason...I actually do use the "small fugi 600 compact lens on the camera and also the 355 G claron all fit the standard board, as do most lenses I hope to use in the future, including possibly the Fine art xxl lenses...

RobertP
09-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I see a Canham 14x17 just went up on this site for sale. There are couple of great opportunities going on right now for someone to move up to the world of ULF. But I will warn you...IT CAN BE ADDICTING AND THERE IS NO TURNING BACK ONCE YOU ENTER THIS ABYSS.....thought I'd post that disclaimer.

mammolo
09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I am pretty sure that the upcoming issue of Magnachrom due in September will have something for the aficionados of this format...

:D :D :D

Cheers!

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I am pretty sure that the upcoming issue of Magnachrom due in September will have something for the aficionados of this format...

:D :D :D

Cheers!

looking forward to it with joy and impatient anticipation!

Zebra
09-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Dave,

please quit taking up valuable virtual real estate with discussions of the
'miniture formats' in the ULF section!!:)

Please post some of your pics from the Mojave soon!

best,

Monty

Dave Wooten
09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Dave,

please quit taking up valuable virtual real estate with discussions of the
'miniture formats' in the ULF section!!:)

Please post some of your pics from the Mojave soon!

best,

Monty

Monty you are correct and indeed the 14 x 17 point and shoot is up and on the road....expect some street action stuff shortly!

TracyStorer
09-08-2007, 02:09 PM
small 5 1/4" boards

I built myself an adapter to make the camera take 6"x6" square corner boards. It requires a screwdriver to install it, but If you want the camera, you can have the adapter too, or I can mod the camera for you to take other boards. (note, the current bellows front frame will still be Wisner 5.25" size.)
Best,
Tracy

PS, thanks for the plug Dave, I need to sell that camera to finish the 20x24 field, then start right in on the new 14x17.