10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey folks- yeah, I am still interested.

imazursky
10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Im interested too.

ian

Drew B.
10-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread...as my son is now living in NYC and I suppose we should visit him once in a while.

drew

gr82bart
10-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey Folks,

I have to make contact with Jim. We'll set up some sort of date and publish soon. Thanks for the interest and hang in there. Probably tonight or tomorrow.

Regards, Art.

FM2N
11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Any updates??
Arthur,NYC

aj-images
11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I talked to Art a few days ago. There is the issue of tripods/permits he is working on. He said he was going to make some calls to the city, so please hang tight. C'mon slacker.....

FM2N
11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Why would we need permits to shoot on the street?
Arthur, NYC

copake_ham
11-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Why would we need permits to shoot on the street?
Arthur, NYC

Er...you wouldn't. But it does seem like a great "stall".

Folks, I would love to join you. But we're into November now and in a few days I'm off to Tucson through X-giving. By the time I get back it could be too damned cold for night (or even day) shooting.

If someone arranges a get-together that my schedule allows for - I'm there (weather permitting).

Seems that trying to arrange get-togethers on this site is as bad as trying to herd cats! ;)

highpeak
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Folks, I would love to join you. But we're into November now and in a few days I'm off to Tucson through X-giving. By the time I get back it could be too damned cold for night (or even day) shooting.

Hehe, so, nobody will bother us. :) Cops and other 'powerful' people just try to stay warm.

Alex W.

copake_ham
11-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Hehe, so, nobody will bother us. :) Cops and other 'powerful' people just try to stay warm.

Alex W.

?

Sorry, I don't understand your point - and probably do not want to go along with you.

Folks shoot gear around town all year round. Guess I'm not into paranoia stuff like you seem to be - and I sure don't 'dis my hometown.

Outta of this idea if this is where folks are coming from.

highpeak
11-03-2007, 12:40 AM
Sorry George, I think two words confused you. "us" means the night outing group, not just you and me, that would be awkward.

"powerful people" I refer to building security guards, doormen, etc... I were hassled sometime by those people. They do have some power, right?

Alex W.

copake_ham
11-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Sorry George, I think two words confused you. "us" means the night outing group, not just you and me, that would be awkward.

"powerful people" I refer to building security guards, doormen, etc... I were hassled sometime by those people. They do have some power, right?

Alex W.

I knew what you meant - and stand by what I said.

I an NYC native, I live in NYC, I make my living in NYC.

Quite frankly, I don't shit on where I eat.

G'night

gr82bart
11-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Hi Folks,

So sorry! OK, here's the lowdown. Since we're shooting at night we'll need tripods. That means we'll need a permit. It's really quite easy to get one and I haven't had any problems ever getting one. Here's a link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permits/still_prcedure.shtml

Now, it gets more complicated because technically, we'll be a group of two or more. I have a call with the NYC office on Monday. I could not call this week - too busy during their office hours. If it's too complicated, what we'll do is just be a bunch of individuals who happened to meet at the same time. No biggie.

So I think the way to go is - we need to map out a route by Tuesday. Depending on my call on Monday, this is the route you have to write on the permit or I could do it for the whole group. I'll post a note here if everyone needs to do this individually or we're going to do it as a group after I talk with them on Monday.

OK, now that that is out of the way, what's the route?

Oh, let's not debate whether we need this permit or not and what our rights are and whether anyone is going to hassle "us" when we eat. Let's just get the thing and keep it in our back pocket should the need arise, k?

Oh, yeah, the trip is this Saturday, November 10, right Jim?

Regards, Art.

aj-images
11-03-2007, 05:40 AM
That date works for me. As far as a route, I am game for anything.

gr82bart
11-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Geez Jim, if I knew you were up this early, I'd give ya a call. I thought I was the only insomniac around here...

Regards, Art.

aj-images
11-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Not by choice....unfortunately, mail goes out on Saturdays. Check your voicemail.

highpeak
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
The date works for me too, and like Jim, I don't care about the route either. Just want to get something done and see what the result is.

Thank you Art and Jim for put this together.

Alex W.

gr82bart
11-04-2007, 05:15 PM
OK why don't we meet at the front steps of the Post Office building on 7th street just south of Penn Station at 4pm. Sundown is around 5pm these days and twilight is the best time, I find for night photography, especially with tungsten film.

The plan is eventually to land in Times Square around 7pm or later

Now there some others suggestions that were brought up that I haven't incorporated in yet:

Pedestrian walkway across the Brooklyn or Queensboro Bridge <-- might be too long a hike
Meat Packing District still has some interesting sights <-- lots of stuff to shoot here, plus I've always wanted to shoot the gas station there at night
Piers / stumps in the West Hudson River <-- maybe not so good at night, but twilight might work

So who's in?

Regards, Art.

fschifano
11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I
BTW-does anyone know what are the best elevated subway stations in LIC from which to score shots of midtown?

I know this is a little late, but anyway here goes. Two stops on the #7 train are ok, Queens Plaza and Court House Square. On the F line, try the Smith/9th St. station. Looks out over low rise Brooklyn to lower Manhattan towers in the distance. If not on the subway, Socrates Park in Long Island City offers good views of midtown east. Down under the Manhattan Bridge in Brooklyn, the views of lower Manhattan are excellent.

aj-images
11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
The post office is on 8th, just west of Penn station......I believe