PDA

View Full Version : Apo-Germinar F9/600mm

Logan Group
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
I recently purchased this lens as a leap of faith. I eventually want to set up an 8x20 system and was hoping this lens would cover the format, maybe even with a few movements. As I said it was a leap of faith in that I purchased the lens without knowing exactly what its capabilities are, but it was so inexpensive and already mounted in a board that I went for it. The aperture is smooth all the way down to f/128, the optics seem in good order (is this a multi coated or single coated lens?) except for a little dust between the elements.

I understand that the true way to see what Iíve got is to shoot with it but I am going overseas for a year and wonít have time to play with this lens on any format before I go. Any practical experience would be appreciated.

TracyStorer
09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure it quite covers 20"x24", but it should cover 8"x20" just fine....hopefully Sandy or Kerry will know more about this guy for you.

richard ide
09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't know the exact coverage at infinity as so far I have only used mine on a camera enlarger. Image quality is superb.

ReallyBigCameras
09-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Logan,

You can find a lot of info on this lens in this thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/22085-apo-germinars-germinar-ws-any-interest.html).

See posts #29, #32, #33, #34 and #35 for info on the coverage. The 600mm should cover 8x20 wide open with a bit to spare, and have an image circle in excess of 600mm stopped down. Should work nicely on your 8x20 (if the front standard an handle the > 4lb. weight).

The lens is single coated. Is yours a Zeiss or a Docter Optics? They are the same optically and mechanically. The only difference is the Docter lenses are newer.

Kerry

Logan Group
09-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Kerry,

Thanks so much for the quick response; you are confirming for me that this was a great purchase. As to if this is a Zeiss or Docter Optic the lens states aus JENA DDR on the front which I assume means Docter Optic.

Thanks to everyone who responded, this is a truly great forum.

naturephoto1
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Kerry,

Thanks so much for the quick response; you are confirming for me that this was a great purchase. As to if this is a Zeiss or Docter Optic the lens states aus JENA DDR on the front which I assume means Docter Optic.

Thanks to everyone who responded, this is a truly great forum.

No that means Zeiss Jena, DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik- East Germany). It would say Docter if it were.

Rich