PDA

View Full Version : MN North Shore Winter Trip

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

gminerich
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Anyone interested in a winter trip up the North Shore of Lake Superior? The rivers and water falls are very interesting with snow and ice. The AmericInn in Silver Bay, MN has rooms starting at $80.00/night in the latter part of January. There is winter camping if you are very adventorus!

Andrew Moxom
09-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm in... just have to square it with the war dept.

Pinholemaster
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Wow, free ice in every drink. Grin.

Wish I could make it. I'm sure the area is beautiful in the winter having been in the fall.

billschwab
09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been talking with Ike Eisenlord about meeting up for a winter trip there. No dates set yet, but sometime after the ice sets up good. Keep me posted.

wildbill
09-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Oh man! I've been thinking about a doing the north shore for a while now but i don't think i can do it until i move back to Michigan. Good luck guys! For those of you that haven't seen Ike's great work, check it out: http://www.davideisenlord.com

vinny

ricksplace
09-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm in. Damn the family commitments, full speed ahead!

deisenlord
09-21-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm definitely up for a trip this winter. I was thinking of trying to be semi-spontaneous based on what winter brings. We haven't had any "real" ice on the lake since 2003, don't know what this year will bring. If no big ice then maybe try for some unholy cold. A day or two well below zero when the "lake smoke" is in full effect would be good. Count me in and lets shoot for Jan/Feb.

Wildbill, thank's for the kind words and plug!
Ike

jamie young
09-21-2007, 07:07 AM
sounds like a fun trip. If I can get away, I might try to go along. I love the superior shore line and would love to explore it more during the winter
Jamie

deisenlord
09-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Jamie that would be great! Will keep you posted.
Ike

deisenlord
09-21-2007, 08:33 AM
fyi, I'm thinking of a week long trip, if I had to pick dates now I would pick the following two weeks as they have a full moon and I've wanted to do more night photography on the lake. Jan 19th-26th or Feb 16th-23rd. Jan 21 the moon is at 99% and rises at 4:52PM - 51 degrees. Feb 19th the moon is at 97% rises and 7:38pm - 80 degrees. Location is better in Feb for earlier shooting.
Ike

billschwab
09-21-2007, 10:58 AM
fyi, I'm thinking of a week long tripMy thoughts as well Ike. Count me in.

gminerich
09-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys:

The middle of February may be warmer then January and the will be a greater chance for hoarfrost along the rivers. The falls along the rivers might flow a little better as well. The downside is that its prime ski time and the motel rates will be higher.
Regards,

George

gminerich
09-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi:

My knee surgery didn't go well last week. It appears that I'll be getting a new knee the end of January so I not going to be able to make the Apug winter trip to the North Shore. Have a good time all.

George

Marc Akemann
09-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I would like to do this trip. In early '04, I went up to Ashland, WI with two other photog friends, hit the ice caves at the Apostle Islands and then went around Lake Superior (clockwise) as far as Grand Marais, MN. It was one of the best photo trips I've ever experienced,...except for the camera problems. I had a Nikon F4 and an FM and both failed. The F4 failed on the very first attempt at a photograph on that initial cold morning of our trip (-15 F) in Ashland. The FM seemed fine but it wasn't until I got my 13 rolls of slide film back that I realized it really wasn't. Save for perhaps 20 images, the rest of the film was blank. So I need to get back up there again. -Marc

Thomas Bertilsson
09-30-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm really very sorry to hear your surgery didn't go well. I really hope you'll be on your feet running around soon again so we can go shooting again.
- Thomas

Hi:

My knee surgery didn't go well last week. It appears that I'll be getting a new knee the end of January so I not going to be able to make the Apug winter trip to the North Shore. Have a good time all.

George

deisenlord
12-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Bill Schwab and I have firmed up the details for our trip to the Minnesota North Shore of Lake Superior Feburary 16th-22nd. I've attached a PDF with an outline of the trip including where we will be staying. We would love to have some company, feel free to join up with us at any point. We plan on it being a "working" trip but it gets dark early so their will be time for a beer or two :)

Ike
See attached

Jerry Basierbe
12-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounds like fun guys. Wish I could make it this time.
I'll looking forward to seeing the results.

Jerry

Thomas Bertilsson
12-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Looks awesome, Ike. I wish I had the vacation days and money to join you for all of it. I'll see if I can come up for a day or two and hang out.
- Thomas

billschwab
12-12-2007, 09:52 AM
It would be great to meet up with anyone willing and able to join us. I am very much looking forward to this trip!

Bill

eclarke
12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
It would be great to meet up with anyone willing and able to join us. I am very much looking forward to this trip!

Bill

Are you guys worried about having too many people tagging along? My neighbor and I travel together but we are geezers, I am 57 he is 67, we both photograph in 4x5 and 8x10. I had my knee replaced last Christmas, am getting up to speed and have been putting together new cold weather apparel so I can spend a long time in the elements. A North Shore trip has been in my sights for quite a while...Evan Clarke