PDA

View Full Version : Alt Exchange Round 6 - Jan 2008

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

gwatson
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Received a wonderful print from Carl this weekend. Fantastic write-up as well. Many thanks. It was also really good to receive a print that required a little thought on my part.

Thanks again.

Geoff/Gary

CarlRadford
12-04-2007, 03:54 AM
You're welcome Geoff - now put my mind at rest :)

gwatson
12-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi Carl

Put your mind at rest, eh? Well, I'll start, but there is so much to say about this.

Firstly, the print quality is excellent and I'll say no more about it (than perhaps you squeezing your lens to its max :-))

Photographs fall into many categories: some are just 'pretty', some tell a story, some are both, and occasionally, some just imply a story. For me, your's falls into the latter category. Mine generally are just 'pretty'; the viewer will walk past, say "Hmm, that's pretty" and move on to the next. I looked at your's and wondered. And that is why it is great. Simply because it made me wonder. When mine falls though your door, I challenge you not to think 'camera club'. It ticks all the right aesthetic boxes, but you will, metaphorically at least, think "hmm, nice" and move to the next.

I'm not knocking pretty, or anything else, but when someone comes to my house, I want them to wonder why the hell I've a print of a tree and three plastic chairs on my wall, and I know they will mentally keep going back to that image. That's why your print will be the first thing that anyone sees when they walk through my door.

Cheers

Geoff

CarlRadford
12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Many thanks indeed Geoff - I still need to work on this and being out with Tim Soar was really interesting and challenging too! At the end of the day I know I have made an image that is not pretty, maybe better suited to a series of images that would expand on the story but one that I thought about, found and you're right there were no tripod holes there. Maybe because people thought better of using a sheet of 10x8 film!

Now about putting my mind at rest was about the name at the top of the the enclosed letter :)

Hi Carl

Put your mind at rest, eh? Well, I'll start, but there is so much to say about this.

Firstly, the print quality is excellent and I'll say no more about it (than perhaps you squeezing your lens to its max :-))

Photographs fall into many categories: some are just 'pretty', some tell a story, some are both, and occasionally, some just imply a story. For me, your's falls into the latter category. Mine generally are just 'pretty'; the viewer will walk past, say "Hmm, that's pretty" and move on to the next. I looked at your's and wondered. And that is why it is great. Simply because it made me wonder. When mine falls though your door, I challenge you not to think 'camera club'. It ticks all the right aesthetic boxes, but you will, metaphorically at least, think "hmm, nice" and move to the next.

I'm not knocking pretty, or anything else, but when someone comes to my house, I want them to wonder why the hell I've a print of a tree and three plastic chairs on my wall, and I know they will mentally keep going back to that image. That's why your print will be the first thing that anyone sees when they walk through my door.

Cheers

Geoff

gwatson
12-06-2007, 07:11 AM
There was I thinking you wanted a critique!

Yes, you called me Gary. But, like I said, whatever you're most comfortable with. ;)

gwatson
12-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Hi Carl, John, and Rory

Just to let you know your prints were mailed today. (I had 7 prints to mail globally - won't be welcome at the post office for a while! :)

Happy Xmas all (like that's possible, eh!!). ;)

Cheers

Geoff

Zebra
12-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello all,

My prints will go out the middle of January. Sorry to be late but that's when I get some time off for the first time in ages. Happy Holidays to everyone,

Monty

Anke Drewitz
12-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Hi Monty, Todd, Phill & Erin,

my prints are on the fly, hope you like them.

Anke

Akki14
12-18-2007, 07:28 AM
I can't do until mid/late-January too(I thought that was when people would send out prints anyway?). Been busy. I am working on the piece, though, and am getting closer to a result.

FredW
12-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Diane, Lillian, and Heather.

I sent your prints today, hopefully you will have them in the New Year. Enjoy.

Interesting tidbit, it cost me more to mail the same package within Canada, than it cost me to mail it to the UK and US.

philldresser
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Mine are scheduled to print between xmas and New Year. Posting early 2008

Phill

rorye
12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi Geoff,
I received your print yesterday, most exquisite! I really enjoy this image as a 4" X 5" print, to my eye it's the perfect size for it. Thanks for sending it.
I'm hoping to get mine in the mail the first week on January.
Thanks again, Rory

colrehogan
12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I received a lovely confluence park print from Fred today. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who spends time in a place like this with my cameras. :D

I am in the process of developing film and hope to have decided which negative to use soon. I will post again when I have sent out my prints.

Akki14
12-24-2007, 04:53 AM
I received Fred's print today too. Sadly, the prefolded cardboard backing flopped around a bit in postage so I have a slightly bent, beautiful 8x10 print. I'll just need to find a book big enough to squish it flat again ;)

FredW
12-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Diane, Heather:
Glad you received your print, that was quick, I had expected some time after Christmas for delivery.

Diane, yes, it a great area, with a wealth of photographic opportunities. The other users are often surprised that anyone still uses cameras that big, but I am happy to talk.

Heather, sorry, the print has been bent. An alternative to a big book, is if you have a dry mount press, to wet the print again, dry on a screen, the press in the drymount press between two pieces of mat board. That is how I originally flatten them for mailing.

Zebra
01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Anke,

Came home after a week and half on the road to the MOST wonderful surprise--your print. It is amazing. The richness in the deep blues and the composition are phenomenal. Thank you so much. i hope to have mine in the post by Friday or Saturday as I have a whole week off.

thank you again,

Monty

rorye
01-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Carl,
Thanks for the beauty that arrived here safely! I love that tree, I could sit there all day.
Best, Rory

philldresser
01-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Anke
Also received your print on return froma trip. Lovely cyanotype, very well crafted.
Thanks very much.

Will get mine off soon

regards

Phill

colrehogan
01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm printing mine as I type. I lucked out and the humidity is cooperating. :D I will post again when I send the prints.

Akki14
01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
I've sent mine this afternoon. Hopefully they'll arrive soon (within the week?).