PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Butcher show in New Jersey

Pages : [1] 2

photobum
09-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Peters Valley will be hosting a show of the works of Clyde Butcher September 29 to October 28th. Reception on 9-29 from 4 to 7PM.

Rt. 615 & Kunh Rd.
Layton, NJ
973-948-5202

If you have not taken a workshop at Peters Valley you are missing one of the best deals in photography.

jovo
09-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the notice. That's an exhibition I'm gonna be darn sure I get to. Besides, that area is gorgeous at this time of year.

Monophoto
09-22-2007, 09:18 AM
If you have not taken a workshop at Peters Valley you are missing one of the best deals in photography.

Very true!

Besides, that area is gorgeous at this time of year..

Also very true. And a fabulous place for photography of the landscape and old farm buildings.

gr82bart
09-22-2007, 09:41 AM
I saw some of his work in Florida. Really amazing work. I'd go if I had time and I was closer to the school.

Regards, Art.

aj-images
09-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks for posting this. I've been to his Florida gallery and I collect his work. I'm in. - Jim

Travis Nunn
09-23-2007, 11:21 PM
I went to see his show at the College of William and Mary a few weeks ago. Very impressive.

DWThomas
09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Yes, a few years ago there was a show of his work at Ursinus College, quite close to me. Definitely a must see.

DaveT

glbeas
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I saw his work when it came to Georgia. A good experience, you got a feel for the Florida he saw.

jovo
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
I enjoyed a gorgeous day en route to Peter's Valley this past afternoon. I hiked to a waterfall with just a viewing card and found that I could make some worthwhile exposures there next time. I also visited Buttermilk Falls (just a trickle) and Walpack Center which is visually quite rich. I then took myself to Peter's Valley for the Clyde Butcher show.

Disappointing!! The prints were inkjets (okay...he called them giclees...but, as I said...they were inkjets) however exceptionally well done. The disappointing part was that the images were 'captured' on enormous film negatives but were then scanned and outputted to a digital printer rather than contact printed or enlarged by hand. There were 16 photographs on the walls, but only two were....I assume since there was no other attribution...'real' darkroom prints, and they may well have been on RC paper since they looked that way when viewed to reveal their texture. So I was disappointed that all were not the 'real' thing. Still, the man makes wonderful images of what would easily be cliched, quotidian views when photographed by 'civilians'.

Travis Nunn
09-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Wow, that's a total opposite of the show down here in Virginia. I don't remember how many prints he hung, but probably 90%+ were wet prints. This gives you a good excuse to make the drive down here to Virginia ;-)

Here's the news release:
http://www.wm.edu/muscarelle/news_releases.php

gr82bart
09-29-2007, 10:19 PM
That is disappointing to hear. When I saw his stuff this past summer they were all traditional prints.

Wait a sec, are glicees inkjets? I thought they were wet prints on a Lambda or Lightjet? I'm confused.

Regards, Art.

Sanjay Sen
09-29-2007, 10:30 PM
John, sorry to digress, but what is the Walpack Center? I did a search and it seems to be an abandoned town!? Could you please elaborate?

Best wishes,
Sanjay

jovo
09-30-2007, 06:46 AM
John, sorry to digress, but what is the Walpack Center? I did a search and it seems to be an abandoned town!? Could you please elaborate?

Yes, sanjay, it is very small village that is totally accessible to one's camera. It's one of those places where you can do white on white on old wood till your eyes glaze over. There was, in fact, a film crew setting up a BIG movie camera on a small track to film the church there, perhaps for an 'establishing shot' since there was none of the paraphenalia that accompany actors. And around the bend and down the little road, there's a gorgeous stream with rocks and...well you know....all that stuff that doesn't get included in portraits :D

Sanjay Sen
09-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks, John! I will make a trip there sometime, hopefully before all the leaves are gone.

Now back to the original topic of discussion... (apologies for the digress).

Best wishes,
Sanjay

photobum
10-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Well I went to the opening and like jovo I was disappointed. Yes 16 prints and 14 of them were inkspurts. Very well done inkspurts but I would never buy one. I had hoped he would teach a course there next summer. I was told he only wanted to do a photoshop class. I said, oh, no thank you.

Travis Nunn
10-02-2007, 09:54 AM
...I was told he only wanted to do a photoshop class. I said, oh, no thank you.

It's funny you should mention that. When I talked with Clyde at the Williamsburg, VA opening, he said that within the next year or so he plans to release a Photoshop How-To DVD.

gr82bart
10-02-2007, 09:57 AM
That's a shame. We lost another great one to the dark side!

Regards, Art.

eclarke
10-02-2007, 10:20 AM
He showed in Wausau, Wi a couple years ago but the room was so narrow that you could not get farther away than about 4 feet from the prints. It was all wide angle work about 50x60" and it made one dizzy to look at it. His prints need a big room...EC

Travis Nunn
10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Actually he feels that you should stand only a couple of feet away from his large prints. His reasoning is that when you stand that close you feel like you're there.

photobum
10-02-2007, 04:31 PM
From what I understand, what happened at Peters Valley was that he wanted to teach a photoshop class because he was doing "something that no one else is". In any case they do not have enough computers to arrange this type class.

As far as his inkjet prints go, I have a Paula Chamlee poster that's just as nice and it only cost $35. I think clicking a mouse should bring down the price. $900 bucks for an inkjet is out of my range. For 450 you could have gotten a Pt/Pd print from Tillman Crane and his book in a special slipcase edition.