PDA

View Full Version : Need help with ideas for winter cards

Pages : [1] 2

Akki14
09-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm looking for some feedback and ideas for christmas/winter greeting cards. I sort of know what I want the final product to be (enlarged negative 4x5" cyanotype on watercolour paper, folded over to be a card) but I don't know what to do for a photo that looks cold and wintery because Southern England doesn't particularly get wintery and christmassy looking :confused: At least not for me as I'm from New England, USA originally... where's the snow? It's hard to even find ice to photograph!
I resorted to trying to photograph cubes of ice in an old coffee maker jug... Some of them look quite nice but I don't think they look wintery... summery if anything (nice, icy cold drink!).

I really don't want to do the cheesy pictures of me and my husband that everyone else seems to send out. As my husband just pointed out, we're hideously ugly, we wouldn't want to show everyone that ;) :D

bjorke
09-25-2007, 03:25 PM
pick a sentiment and run with it.

why not include a cocktail recipe for christmas? :)

Dave Miller
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
We don't do snow any more; you're in the tropics now you know.:)

Akki14
09-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Ruddy well is! I have to go to Norway in December for a wedding (!) so I looked up the december tempertures... 40-35F average high and low... looked up the december tempertures for back home... about 10degrees colder. IT'S COLDER IN NEW HAMPSHIRE THAN NORWAY!! :o :confused:
I still remember the first time I came over here... it was December... and I was shocked by green, growing grass. That doesn't happen until April and stops around October/November where I'm from. Silly Gulf Stream effect...

winger
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, even in Massachusetts, it didn't usually get going with lots of snow until right around Christmas. So one year, I used that fake spray snow on a branch of an evergreen with an ornament on it. Another year, I set up lights and small presents (ornaments from Pier 1) on a background on green and red paper. Neither idea would translate well to cyanotypes, but maybe they'll lead you somewhere?

Dave Miller
09-25-2007, 03:58 PM
You could try and find a photogenic hoodie, and tone the print red. On the other hand they are few and far between.:(

pentaxuser
09-25-2007, 04:12 PM

I have lived in Dave's part of England since 1978. The last and only time we had snow at Xmas( in fact just a week before Xmas) was 1978. In London forget it completely. Only Charles( Dickens that is) can remember any snow in London, along with Ebenezer and three ghosts.

I don't know what cyanotypes are capable of but if ordinary scenes are OK some of the National Trust properties do Xmas fayres in December. Everyone looks Dickensian and jolly. A bit cheesy really but it depends to whom the cards will be sent i.e. how they see Xmas in England.

If it's reality you want, try pics of 20somethings binge drinking with Santa Claus hats on. Xmas office parties usually start in early Dec.

Alternatively and based on my rant above and Dickens there is always me with a bowl of gruel, saying Bah Humbug.

pentaxuser

Akki14
09-25-2007, 04:52 PM
You could try and find a photogenic hoodie, and tone the print red. On the other hand they are few and far between.:(
Wow, how do you turn cyanotypes red? ;) Seriously though, I've not heard of that kind of toning...

Akki14
09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Ooh I had a thought. I just remembered I found a recipe for making "frost" on windows with epsom salts mixed in with beer. I might try that out. I'll have to clean my windows first though...

Dave Wooten
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Ooh I had a thought. I just remembered I found a recipe for making "frost" on windows with epsom salts mixed in with beer. I might try that out. I'll have to clean my windows first though...

That s a good idea Could you share that recipe? We will probably be sending cards to different people, so it should nt cause a problem ? :)

A recipe for cullen skink would be appreciated if anyone over the pond has one handy....had some at the Royal McGregor in Edinburgh on a cold rainy night..that was a nice touch..

Akki14
09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
One recipe i found said 3-4tablespoons of epsom salts per 1/2cup beer. Another just said keep adding the epsom salts until the beer can't take anymore :D The first recipe mentioned making swirls on glass with paper towel soaked in the solution. If my windows aren't clean now (or before hand), they probably will be after I've had to wipe on this stuff, then wipe it off a few hundred times before I get the right look...

Struan Gray
09-26-2007, 03:00 AM
You need to watch Wallace and Gromit's "Cracking Contraptions" for details of the Christmas Card-o-Matic.

Black Dog
09-26-2007, 03:04 AM
ISTR gallic acid makes cyanotypes turn reddish/pink-a bit of digging should turn something up (maybe in Spirits of salts-R Webb & M Reed).

Stan160
09-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Doesn't help if you want to create cyanotypes, but my plan this year was to load some HIE and find some holly or christmassy looking conifers on a bright sunny day.

Ian

Akki14
09-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Doesn't help if you want to create cyanotypes, but my plan this year was to load some HIE and find some holly or christmassy looking conifers on a bright sunny day.

Ian

I was considering shooting SFX and hoping the green landscape would go white enough (with the SFX filter) but I've not had good luck with my low-tech cameras and such :rolleyes:
I was also considering taking some of my landscape pictures and just reversing it since they have white skies and dark ground so reversing it would just make them look like blue skies and white ground... Not sure how well it'd look though.

Akki14
09-26-2007, 07:50 AM
The epsom salt + beer on glass is kinda neat. The crystals remind me more of the pattern on galvanised steel buckets than frost... its a bit coarser than the frost I remember on my bedroom windows... Pretty nonetheless and seems to photograph nicely with the macro lens + extension. Hubby said it looks like we got the windows egged... but like I said, the crystal pattern close up is nice. I'll try to get through a roll today and dev, scan & post later...

Shmoo
09-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Do an emulsion lift from a polaroid Type 59. You can either scan and print the final image, or create individual images on cards. You can put them on watercolor cards (a lot of paper mfrs make them) with ready made envelopes. I did this one year and shot a bunch of xmas ornaments so that me and my 4x5 came out in the reflection...hilarious and fun, but not cheap.

S

johnnywalker
09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Christmasy still life? Ole did one I really like that might give you some inspiration.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4313&ppuser=124

Schlapp
09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Hoodies everywhere up here Mr Miller. No ravens at all.

Ole
09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Ruddy well is! I have to go to Norway in December for a wedding (!) so I looked up the december tempertures... 40-35F average high and low... looked up the december tempertures for back home... about 10degrees colder. IT'S COLDER IN NEW HAMPSHIRE THAN NORWAY!! :o :confused:
I still remember the first time I came over here... it was December... and I was shocked by green, growing grass. That doesn't happen until April and stops around October/November where I'm from. Silly Gulf Stream effect...

That all depends on where in Norway you are going.

Where I live (Bergen area, west coast) it's quite warm, but inland and up north it can be bitterly cold.

I think one of my old "alternative christmassy cards" is in the gallery here...

Edit: It is: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4313&ppuser=124