PDA

View Full Version : CALL FOR ENTRIES - panorama only show, Logan, Utah, January '08

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Michael Slade
10-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Alright, how about this:

Give me the best panorama you have.

Not to be glib, but if you only have that one chance, show your best work. I don't want to have to 'quantify' the show beyond panorama. I want to include all different genres, methods, philosophies, and whatever else you go through mentally and emotionally to get to your final image.

I don't really care what it's of, just that it's good.

Michael Slade
11-22-2007, 09:50 AM
UPDATE:

I have gallery space at the Old Mill in Tracy Aviary for the month of February. It's a very nice space, actually the oldest building still standing in Salt Lake City. It's been totally re-done and is a very nice place to hang work.

I also have a commitment from BYU in Provo to hang the show, and another gallery in Idaho is interested.

Also, someone from Europe is working on getting exhibition space for the show. If you have local connections with a gallery and/or university, please try to see if you can make arrangements to hang the show. It seems that there is interest in the exhibition, and I want to see if we can't get it around.

I will document the show and am strongly considering registering a domain to host it on-line.

I would like an Artist Statement to accompany each piece, and a small entry fee of $5 to cover expenses such as making title cards, printing the artist statement, some local advertising, a poster, nails, etc... Cash or a personal check is fine.

Also, if you want your piece, or a similar piece mailed to you, please enclose enough postage to cover shipping.

If you are not interested in recieving someone else's print, please let me know in your entry.

I am tracking down some 'unusual' panoramic photographs and am trying to get prints made for the show. Hopefully they can pull through.

From the type of images I've been sent as potential entries into the show, I am VERY excited about everyone's work.

If you have any questions, please re-read the thread. Some good things have been discussed, and hopefully all issues have been clarified.

Michael Slade
12-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Deadline is approaching...prints are trickling in.

Still would love to see some APUG'ers participate!

I'm making 12x20 VDB's or Albumen prints...or maybe a carbon...or...um, I can't decide!

bliorg
12-07-2007, 04:51 PM
I looked but couldn't find the deadline - when is it?

Michael Slade
12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
December 15th.

Vaughn
12-07-2007, 11:43 PM
I'll do my best to get a wee 4"x10" platinum print into the mail on Monday...

Vaughn

Michael Slade
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Sweet. Be sure to give me an artist statement and a wee donation to get this thing happening and in the papers. I'm also going to register a domain for the show and that'll cost some $$$, but not too much.

bliorg
12-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Dammit. Ain't gonna make it. I have no paper. :(

Vaughn
12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
A bit later than I had hoped, but it is in the mail this afternoon! Almost sent a carbon, but ended up sending a platinum/palladium.

Vaughn

Michael Slade
12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Carbon would have been awesome...we'll settle for the pt/pd. :D

Michael Slade
12-14-2007, 10:48 AM
I registered www.panoshow.org this morning. So far nothing is up, but just an announcement.

Thanks to Joe Lipka's head's up, and showing me a very neat site of lunar photography, I've secured a wonderful landscape panorama from the MOON! Moonpans.com (http://www.moonpans.com) has the reproduction rights from the NASA flights to the moon. They are donating a wonderful print for the show, that is film-based (to appeal to the APUG'ers).

I also have a neat panorama from Mars that will print very beautifully. Unfortunately for APUG'ers it is strictly digital (there's no courier service from Mars I understand).

If there are those who are late getting prints out, but would still like to participate...please send them in. I am hanging the exhibition for the entire month of February in Salt Lake City, then on to points elsewhere. There is still time to participate if you wish. I know time was a bit of a crunch for some, so I'm extending the deadline for entries. You may not make it in time for the show at Utah State University, but the exhibition in February still gives you some time.

Thanks to those who have sent in images. They are great!

Michael Slade
01-07-2008, 08:49 AM
The show is up. I put it up over the weekend, took a bunch of time-lapse images and documented the show and the space it's in.

Thank-you for everyone who participated. I have about 14 images, but would love to see more.

The next venue will begin on Feb 1, and it'll hang for a month. Still plenty of time to get your images printed for the next installment of the traveling show.

Thanks again, I hope to get images posted today.

Michael Slade
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Here's a pano from the show:

http://www.tawayama.com/blog/tippetsshowpano.jpg

Working on building the site...it's tricky.

I am getting new entries slowly but surely. If you would still like to participate, I'd love to have you jump in for the next show in Feb.

Thanks to those who are participating so far. All of the photography students at Utah State University where the show is hung, have looked at the show. They are really enjoying the various ways to interpret the format.

bliorg
01-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Michael, I'll have a 5x12 on its way to you next week. Gonna look dinky next to all the others, though... :rolleyes:

Vaughn
01-12-2008, 12:58 AM
Looks real fine, Michael! I like the way the viewers are able to get right up to the prints.

Sort of reminds me of the Push-pin party they held right before the photo center opened in San Diego -- before they finished the walls, anyone could come in and put their photos up with push-pins...lots of fun.

Vaughn

PS...and it is cool to have my print in your show twice, dinky as it is!

Michael Slade
01-12-2008, 10:05 AM
Vaughn, yours is one of the prints that I enjoy most. Having experience with large format, experience with pt/pd printing, and having experience trying to photograph in dense forests makes your success very enjoyable for me.

I make sure to point it out to my students, and we talk about what you went through to get that image and make the print. It is a good education. I am going to swap out my print and try to get a 12x20 dyptich for the next show.

Michael Slade
01-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Getting the bugs worked out of the site. It's temporarily hosted HERE. (http://www.tawayama.com/panoshow/web-content/index.html)

Vaughn
01-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey, Michael! The website is looking fine, too! Vaughn

Michael Slade
01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Great news! We have the gallery through the end of January! Then straight to the gallery in Salt Lake for Februrary.

Now that I know we have a longer time to exhibit in Logan, I'll write up a press-release and get it in the newspaper.

I'm very excited about this.

Jim Fitzgerald
01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Michael, i have a print in mind to send. 8x20 contact print. It is from an in camera ( the one I built myself) negative. Need to finish it and I'll get it in.

Jim