PDA

View Full Version : How to Maximize Value for M3 and 50mm f/2.8 Elmar

jon koss
10-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I am charged with auctioning a nice Leica M3 (original seal, in closet for the last 30 years type) and a super 50 Elmar to raise money for a non-profit. Would the greatest value be realized by selling them separately or together?

Thanks for all input.

Jon

waynecrider
10-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Hmmm. I think separately would yield more money. Btw, a 30 year old M3, even unused might need the grease changed.

Let me know the auction so I can check it out.

David H. Bebbington
10-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Agree wth Wayne. Shine a torch through the Elmar and look at it very hard, this lens is notorious for depositing oil vapor on the back of the front element, (sadly) particularly if left on the camera pointing upwards.

Regards,

David

jon koss
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Thank you both for the feedback. The items have not been listed so I cannot point you to an auction yet, but I can post some photos if interested. By the way, not sure if you interpreted my post this way, but I did not mean to imply the Leica was unused or mint. It happens to have the most beautiful strap lugs you ever saw, along with an oh-so-close-to-perfect baseplate, but it has meteritis on the top deck and, perish the thought, a tiny SS# engraved!! The lens is a f/3.5 Elmar, my bad. The kit includes a lovely functional meter as well. Normally I would list the items together just so the family is not broken up, but since this is for fundraising I am thinking about taking the low road.

J

Hmmm. I think separately would yield more money. Btw, a 30 year old M3, even unused might need the grease changed.

Let me know the auction so I can check it out.