PDA

View Full Version : Member vs. Subscriber

Pages : [1] 2

steveanalog
10-20-2007, 07:54 PM
:confused: I am not sure if this is the right area for this question, hope so. How does one become a member. I am a subscriber at this point, I will need to renew shorly. What can I do to become a member? Thanks in advance.

Sean
10-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi, there are members (registered with full forum access) and subscribers (registered with full forum access and access to all other site areas)..

steveanalog
10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
So are you saying subscribers have better access,?? How do I become a member?

david b
10-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Subscribers have access to everything.

Members do not.

steveanalog
10-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks, for the info, I guess I will renew my subscription when due, thanks again.

David A. Goldfarb
10-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Subscribers have better access than members. You became a member by registering for the site. You became a subscriber by paying the subscription fee. Subscribers can post classified ads, use the galleries, and do a few other things that I can't recall at the moment.

steveanalog
10-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Thank you for that bit of information, David. Thanks to all...

Snapshot
10-29-2007, 06:45 AM
I've held off on becoming a subscriber due to the condition of the 'Articles' section of the site. Anyone have an idea of when that will be updated?

Uncle Goose
02-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Rather ask it here than to start a new thread but what's a Council??

Kevin Caulfield
02-15-2008, 04:37 AM
First there were moderators, and now we have a council, who, as I understand it, act as a larger group of moderators. This is mainly due to the fact that there are over 20,000 members.

David A. Goldfarb
02-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Members of the Membership Council don't have moderator powers on the site but they serve as a kind of advisory board to Sean and the moderators. If they see a problem that the moderators haven't noticed or something that could be improved, they can bring it to our attention in a few different ways (though these are things that anyone on the site could do as well). Importantly, they serve as a sounding board on the rare occasion when we have some particularly difficult membership issue that would be inappropriate to air in the public forums.

markbb
03-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Members of the Membership Council don't have moderator powers on the site but they serve as a kind of advisory board to Sean and the moderators. Cool. When were the elections?

Michel Hardy-Vallée
03-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Cool. When were the elections?

The council was appointed by Sean and the moderators team.

The original announcement is here:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum38/41309-apug-membership-council.html

jd callow
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Cool. When were the elections?

Wow, whats wrong with us? The council has shown itself to be very good and not an echo chamber, but elections for moderator, and council would seem to be an excellent way to go.

PhotoJim
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Wow, whats wrong with us? The council has shown itself to be very good and not an echo chamber, but elections for moderator, and council would seem to be an excellent way to go.

Since this is Sean's site, and he is spending the money to run it, I don't necessarily think we need to have elections. (Would we get very useful participation? Many people on here don't have the time or the familiarity with the members to decide who would best be a moderator or councillor.)

Sean seems open-minded and if there were an issue with selection of people for these positions, I am sure he would listen to constructive criticism.

Uhner
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I think the community works very well with the current moderators and council members; therefore I see no reason to make any changes in the foreseeable future unless someone wants out.

markbb
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Hold on folks, I'm not trying to start a revolution. Maybe I made assumptions about the term 'council'. It looks more like our wonderful house of lords and if it works why change it?

One minor point, Photojim, I pay Sean to run this site, as do many others.

Dave Miller
03-25-2008, 04:21 PM
There ain't no Lords in this house.:(

PhotoJim
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I shop at Wal-Mart, markbb, but I don't get a vote on their Board of Directors. :)

BWKate
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I also think the moderators and council that Sean has chosen have done an excellent job of keeping the site going and dealing with difficult issues.