PDA

View Full Version : Lens filter options ?????

PBrooks
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Hello All, I have searched through all the past posts and can't seem to find the filter solution I need, so I desperately need your help. Ok, so I have two lenses a 355 G-Claron and a 21" Ilex. Both lenses are plasmats and can potentially be converted. The 355 front element accepts screw in 77mm filters, however I need to be able remove the front element to attain a second focal length from the rear lens ? filter behind lens, my thinking but it has no threads so? The 21" front element is 68mm and the rear is 62mm neither can accept screw in filters because there is no threads. From the past posts Lee has a rubber band holder for gels, I would really prefer not to have to go this option. I would like to be able to have just one filter system. If you could direct me to the proper webpage that would be even better.
Thank you for your help?
PBrooks :confused:

David A. Goldfarb
10-21-2007, 12:01 AM
68mm is an odd size. You're sure it's not 67mm? You could get a step up ring for it to 77mm.

77mm is also the maximum size for 3x3" filters, so you could get a clip-on 3x3" filter holder. I have one that I use for all sorts of odd sized lenses. It was made by Voss, has two barndoors to shade the lens partially, and cost around $15 used from KEH. You can get gel, polyester, resin, and glass filters in 3x3".

PBrooks
10-21-2007, 12:14 AM
68mm is an odd size. You're sure it's not 67mm? You could get a step up ring for it to 77mm.

Ok, so maybe it is 67mm, sometimes hard to measure, however there are no threads so a simple step up ring would not do or would it.

David A. Goldfarb
10-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Sorry, I missed that.

Then a clip-on filter holder or even the Lee Gel-Snap is the way to go. I think Calumet has another type as well with four springs that grip the lens. Or if you already have a lot invested in 77mm filters, S.K. Grimes can make a custom friction fit filter adapter that slips on your lens and has threads on the front.

PBrooks
10-21-2007, 12:54 AM
The one on calumet is Xenophon Holder with spring there is a 3" and 4", however it says gels. Has anyone ever used this model, if so how adaptable is it to lee, cokin etc... filters. I would prefer to use MC filters.

epatsellis
10-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Having known Mr. (Xenophon) Beake many years ago, and having used these holders, that work well, though they are made to go behind the lens (inside the camera). Xenophon is one of those photographers that is very old school, and like may of us here, makes what he can't find commercially.

erie

Harrigan
10-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Since the G-Claron is symmetrical you might consider mounting the front lens on the rear of the shutter. Oh wait are the shutter threads the same on the rear as the front on a copal 3? If so that would work.

I use a standard stack of 82mm filters and it covers all my lenses except the 210 super angulon. When I used a G-Claron 355 I had a 77-82 step ring for it. On one of my user process lenses I mounted an adapter on the front so it can accept 82mm filters. Essentially I epoxy a step up ring to the outside front lens barrel from whatever the lens accepts to get to my 82mm filter. I did have to custom machine the adapter on the lathe so it slid perfectly onto the lens.

They are just inexpensive process lenses so I am really not concerned about epoxy on the outer barrel and if done right it looks very professional. I would not do this to some pricey lens of course but I have one on my Konica Hex GRii 260mm.