PDA

View Full Version : Gundlach 5x7 Sym. Waterhouse stops?

Murray@uptowngallery
10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I just got a 5x7 Sym. Gundlach lens from Jim Galli.

It has a slot at the bottom. I assumed for Waterhouse stops. I had initially assumed it had an iris that was broken, but other than an aperture scale, I don't recall seeign an aperture lever.

So, can anyone please confirm if it had slot-insertable stops, and how I might go about determining the dimensions of those?

I am going to go restudy the scales now that I have more clues. I'm wondering if the scale above what looked like an f-stop scale (6.2-45) may have info about a hole size.

There is still the question of the overall size of the Watehouse stop 'plates'.

I assume a 2-cylinder pneumatic shutter and waterhouse stops puts it roughly 1900 vintage?

Thank you

Murray

Nathan Smith
10-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Murray -

S.K.Grimes' site has some information on waterhouse stops:
http://www.skgrimes.com/wat/index.htm

Keep us posted, I need to do the same for an old Rapid Rectilinear which sits in the closet waiting for stops. Seems like Bob Fowler was going to do this, I'll see if he ever tried it.

Nathan

Murray@uptowngallery
10-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks, Nathan.

Nice to see they are more or less plain old flat ends. I was concerned about round and matching the inner contour (!) so I"ll drop that idea.

I see cardboard - I like that. Keep it simple. With the lens removed, that allows a circle to be drawn, at least for my lens which allows the elements to be removed.

Ole
10-23-2007, 04:10 AM
It is not uncommon with old lenses that the iris aperture is broken and the mechanism removed by a previous owner. That leaves a slot just like a Waterhouse stop slot, which can also be used for that purpose.

It seems to me that this might be the case with your lens.

Murray@uptowngallery
10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
OK - so, there is little inside for me to screw up, as it's already had surgery.