PDA

View Full Version : New 8x20 camera & tripod weights

Jim Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Several people at Per's Owens Valley workshop asked how much my camera and tripod weighted. So here is the info:

Camera: 14lbs.

Tripod with Majestic head: 10lbs.

Film holders: 3lbs.

So, I have four holders and even with the three lenses, extension rail, darkcloth and other misc. items I think the system will come in at under 40 lbs. When I find the time and $$$ for a backpack you can bet I'll get one.

Jim

Dave Wooten
11-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Jim that is very resonable weight for an 8 x 20 camera. The Canham 11 x 14 camera come in at a little over 16 lbs. Congrats.

Jim Fitzgerald
11-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Jim that is very resonable weight for an 8 x 20 camera. The Canham 11 x 14 camera come in at a little over 16 lbs. Congrats.

Dave, thanks. Yes i think this is a very manageable weight. My 8x10 Seneca is about 10lbs. I can backpack with it some distance. I hope I can keep the 11x14 I'm building around the same weight. Just got a great deal on a Kelty backpack and I'm working on the fit. As soon as I can figure out how to scan some images I'll post them.

Jim

David A. Goldfarb
11-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Very reasonable indeed. My American Optical 11x14" is about 15 lbs.

Jim Fitzgerald
11-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Very reasonable indeed. My American Optical 11x14" is about 15 lbs.

David if I keep them at a reasonable weight then there is no problem taking them farther away from my truck.

Jim

David A. Goldfarb
11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, the 30 lb. 11x14" Wisner is impressive, but don't see myself ever using such a thing in the field, and in the studio, heck, one might as well use a studio camera.

Dave Wooten
11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
The Wisner tech field is 30 lbs...has the added moves etc...the traditional 11 x 14 is 20 lbs.

Jim Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 12:13 AM
I figured the 8x20 with 3 lenses, 4 holders, dark cloth and all the other stuff including the tripod will come in at just under 40lbs. With the proper pack I'm not opposed to going some distance with it. I'm even considering the Guadalupe Dunes. You know up hill in the sand!!!! Now there is a workout!!!!

Jim

Curt
11-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I figured the 8x20 with 3 lenses, 4 holders, dark cloth and all the other stuff including the tripod will come in at just under 40lbs. With the proper pack I'm not opposed to going some distance with it. I'm even considering the Guadalupe Dunes. You know up hill in the sand!!!! Now there is a workout!!!!

Beau Geste Fitzgerald, how long were you in the Foreign Legion Jim? That's about the same weight as a sack of wood pellets for my stove. Couldn't you get it down to just a Presto Log? I remember seeing that the Navy Seals run on the beach because the sand reduces injuries. Avoiding hard surfaces might be the key to endurance, and a good pack.

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Curt, I learned from experience that you don't go out 5 miles into the dunes without a proper pack. Took the 8x10 out one time with my BIG shoulder bag. The trip out was great, you know the adrenaline flowing and all of that, then I had to hike back! A good pack is a must! Really helps one avoid those awful face plants in the sand.

Jim

Dave Wooten
11-10-2007, 09:10 AM
around here, you have to factor in the added weight of a gallon of water....if you want to get back at all!

k_jupiter
11-10-2007, 12:25 PM
So I wander into the ULF forum... and find out all of youze is crazy.

To me, 5x7 is ULF and the whole setup for backpacking (B&J 5x7 Field, four or five holders, a darkcloth, meter, and tripod had better come in under twenty pounds. Or I'm not taking that hike.

*L*
Oh, and don't forget the 2 1/4 folder for recording the scene in color.

tim in san jose

Jim Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 08:56 PM
So I wander into the ULF forum... and find out all of youze is crazy.

To me, 5x7 is ULF and the whole setup for backpacking (B&J 5x7 Field, four or five holders, a darkcloth, meter, and tripod had better come in under twenty pounds. Or I'm not taking that hike.

*L*
Oh, and don't forget the 2 1/4 folder for recording the scene in color.

tim in san jose

Tim, it is really mind over matter with a healthy dose of adrenaline thrown in!!! My dune location is open and I'm trying out a new pack for the 8x20 so it may happen soon. I'll keep everyone informed.

Jim

Curt
11-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I admit I had to look up the Guadalupe Dunes, I didn't know they were so extensive, I only had knowledge of Oceano. I went there in the late '70's expecting to see the same sand dune that Edward Weston photographed but saw only dune buggies. I guess I was in the wrong location.
Is the cut off to the Guadalupe Dunes at the river bridge next to Santa Maria, the long bridge over what looks like a dry river bed? I've been that way many, many times. I usually stop at Anderson's split pea restaurant in Buellton for lunch or dinner.
http://www.peasoupandersens.net/

This is what I saw, '82 to present.
http://www.bob2000.com/pismo.htm

Where do you drive up, park, and walk to the dunes with photographic equipment? The history is more complex than I imagined at first glance.
http://www.duneguide.com/closed_areas_guadalupe_dunes.htm

Jim Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Curt, I think you take the Main street exit off of the 101. Take it all the way to the very end. It ends at the park. I usually get there at about 6:15am and wait for the ranger to open the gate. The only other people I've seen have been surf fishermen in the six times I've been. Head out south east from the parking lot about 2 miles. Get on the dunes as the light comes up and it is amazing. They do not allow ANY vehicles on these dunes. I shot this with the 4x5 and Efke 25.

Jim

Curt
11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Jim, now that's what I'm talking about, a quiet place for contemplative work. Nice composition, was that the Zone VI? Have you taken an 8x10 there?

Curt

Jim Fitzgerald
11-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Jim, now that's what I'm talking about, a quiet place for contemplative work. Nice composition, was that the Zone VI? Have you taken an 8x10 there?

Curt

Curt, yes that was the Zone VI with Efke 25 and minimal agitation in Pyrocat-HD. I did take the 8x10 out on the dunes and the light was not as good and I had some trouble with the film when I developed it. I had a lot of streaks and what looked like railroad tracks running through some very nice comps. The film may have been the culprit. It really pissed me off. I was out about 5 miles on the dunes without a backpack and to have development problems...... Well I think you understand. You can get on the dunes until the bird nesting which starts in February and runs through October.

Jim