PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ohio Gathering, Fall of 2008, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

jp80874
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
An hour after the Friday AM gathering started. I just walked outside to see an amazing sight. Peter's box of salvage lenses turned out to be three boxes. On the ground the two Labrador Retrievers are wrestling over a stick. On the table five people are wrestling over lenses. We live in the woods, so we have lots of sticks. The lens situation could turn ugly.

John

jgjbowen
09-19-2008, 09:38 AM
An hour after the Friday AM gathering started. I just walked outside to see an amazing sight. Peter's box of salvage lenses turned out to be three boxes. On the ground the two Labrador Retrievers are wrestling over a stick. On the table five people are wrestling over lenses. We live in the woods, so we have lots of sticks. The lens situation could turn ugly.

John

John,

May I suggest you toss a lens in the pond and who ever fetches it first (which includes beating the Labs) gets to buy the lens :D

Sounds like y'all are having a very nice time!

Lee L
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
The lens situation could turn ugly.

What? Bad bokeh? :)

Lee

mattpallante
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
John, could I hook up with you guys sometime tomorrow afternoon? I live in Willoughby Hills. I just found this thread. We talked a year or so ago about getting together, but I got too busy and it never happened. I'm just getting re-aquainted with the 4 by 5, after spending the last year learning digital and hybrid image making. I have some chores to do in the morning and I have to take care of the dogs, because Betsy is out of town. I could be down in your area in the afternoon and do some shooting with you guys, show some prints, do a print exchange if you're still doing that, and maybe grab a bite to eat. I'd like to meet some new folks and hang out a while, if that's ok. I used to like going to the ledges area. I'm at work until 3, and then I'll be home.

Matt Pallante
cell:440-382-5591
home:440-953-1061
mattpallante@oh.rr.com

jp80874
09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
John, could I hook up with you guys sometime tomorrow afternoon? I live in Willoughby Hills. I just found this thread. We talked a year or so ago about getting together, but I got too busy and it never happened. I'm just getting re-aquainted with the 4 by 5, after spending the last year learning digital and hybrid image making. I have some chores to do in the morning and I have to take care of the dogs, because Betsy is out of town. I could be down in your area in the afternoon and do some shooting with you guys, show some prints, do a print exchange if you're still doing that, and maybe grab a bite to eat. I'd like to meet some new folks and hang out a while, if that's ok. I used to like going to the ledges area. I'm at work until 3, and then I'll be home.

Matt Pallante
cell:440-382-5591
home:440-953-1061
mattpallante@oh.rr.com

Matt,

We have been meeting every afternoon about 5 PM, talking about the day, going to dinner, then coming back here for talk -camp fire - look at prints. That would be the next time after 9 AM in the morning when we all gather together. I will PM directions.

John

ic-racer
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
. We talked a year or so ago about getting together, but I got too busy and it never happened.

Likewise, I had not been able to get together with John until this event. I was glad I made the trip. John has done some exceptional work and offers outstanding hospitality. Hope you can make it.

jp80874
09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Likewise, I had not been able to get together with John until this event. I was glad I made the trip. John has done some exceptional work and offers outstanding hospitality. Hope you can make it.

Thank you. Do they give five star ratings for gatherings?

I am new at this tour directing business. Last night those already here spent two and a half hours deciding where and what we were going to do for dinner. We ended up with four pizzas. Being hungry about that time of day, as host, I have made a management decision. Reservations have been made for 15 people both nights. Each restaurant said a few more or less would not be a problem. In this economy they were happy for the business.

Dinner Plans:

Friday: 7 PM,
Mandarin House
State & Bath Roads
Tel: 330-929-8157

Saturday: 7 PM,
Tres Portrillos
115 Montrose West Ave.
What is locally called Hamburger Hill
Because it is all restaurants
Montrose
Tel: 330-668-9779

mattpallante
09-20-2008, 07:30 AM
If anyone is out photographing this afternoon and wants some company I can be reached at 440-382-5591. Otherwise, I plan on parking at Happy Days at 1:00 pm and strolling down to the ledges area to do a counter clockwise look see.

Matt (short dark hair, soul patch, black kb canham dlc 4 by 5, Indians script baseball hat)

jp80874
09-20-2008, 07:31 AM
This event has become Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast". Bob Steckmeyer and wife Ann Durham arrived before dinner bearing a cooler of beer and water. We had eleven at dinner. Several locals have been with us during the day, but have gone home to families at night. After dinner we viewed wonderful work from many. Bill Schwab, this party's mentor arrived. Shawn Dougherty came in about the same time. We were expecting Joe Smigiel. He wrote that by 8:30 PM he had not left Kalamazoo, so he would leave the Magic Bus and drive a car this morning. There was a camp fire until I don’t know what hour.

The trees are still there this morning so they didn't burn down the place. Sadly before everyone is here, Bethe Fisher is leaving this morning. We are expecting Les Wall during the day. Tonight Robert Puckett plans to join us. We still have the work of more than half the group to see. Dale Marsh is going to show his Century restoration. Bill Mitchell will join us for dinner and show his two Ebony cameras. I will put out a pair of RH Phillips cameras. Robert Triffin is going to talk about stand development. Nicholas Lindan will talk about his f Stop timers. The Porta Potty contribution jar is within $7 of the $110 cost.

How am I going to tell Dolly that we need to extend into next week? This is the great party I dreamed we might have. What are we going to do all winter waiting for the next one?

John

jp80874
09-20-2008, 07:32 AM
If anyone is out photographing this afternoon and wants some company I can be reached at 440-382-5591. Otherwise, I plan on parking at Happy Days at 1:00 pm and strolling down to the ledges area to do a counter clockwise look see.

Matt (short dark hair, soul patch, black kb canham dlc 4 by 5, Indians script baseball hat)

Matt,

I hope you will join us at the house at 5 PM and dinner at 7 PM.

John Powers

mattpallante
09-20-2008, 08:57 AM
I hope to have some prints to show, a KB Canham 5 by 7 traditional if anyone is interested, and some photo paper to donate to who ever......Matt

winger
09-20-2008, 09:31 PM
I REALLY wish I could have stayed. I had a great time and I enjoyed meeting all of you. I would have loved to shoot more with you.
John and Dolly were fantastic hosts (as were the entertainment - Savana and Cindy). If you survive this one, I hope you have another!
This morning on the way out, I went to the covered bridge and then to the Ira trailhead. I used every format I had and didn't actually hit the road until about 1:15. On the trail through the swamp, I decided I need a shirt that says "Yes, it's a 4x5 view camera" on the back. At least 4 separate people said "I think that was a 4x5..." after they'd gotten a little past me.
Anyway, I plan to make it back over there sometime in October. I also intend to make it to more get-togethers (so someone please plan them).
Thanks all for a great time!

Bob Curtis
09-21-2008, 11:23 AM
John- Thanks for hosting a wonderful event. I enjoyed meeting everyone.

Bob Curtis

djkloss
09-21-2008, 02:47 PM
This was a fantastic event! I can't tell you what a fabulous time I had in spite of the coyotes, mountain lions, snakes & big foot - :)
I have come away with so much inspiration. The print show was wonderful. The food also wonderful. John and Dolly such wonderful hosts & their girls too.

Thank you all soooo much!

~cheers!
Dorothy

jp80874
09-21-2008, 07:50 PM
We had a heck of a wonderful party. Thank you so much, all who attended. Thank who ever you do for the wonderful weather, sunny and mid 70 degrees all week after tons of rain and wind the weekend before. Everyone was so helpful, chipping in for the porta potty, picking up afterwards. There was not a scrap of trash left anywhere. We had a near miss. This morning I discovered there was a nest of ground bees seven feet from the fire. I hope no one was stung.

I would especially like to thank locals that stepped up to help: Peter Spangenberg taking a group to Cleveland; Bill Mitchell bringing two Ebony cameras to show & tell; Lee Lumpkin helping move heavy picnic furniture out and then back after the event as well as helping people new to the area find their way; Nicholas Lindan for doing darkroom demonstrations of his interesting timer and meter, Cindy and Savannah Powers for giving constant demonstrations of how well Labrador Retrievers can chase sticks and apples into the pond and return those items complete with a water spray bath of shaking; and finally poor supportive Dolly Powers who was sick in bed most of the event.

Thank you Bob Steckmeyer and Ann Durham for bringing a 24 case of Rolling Rock beer from PA and water to share; Lee Lumpkin for bringing an additional case of local micro brews; Bill Mitchell for a large a box of the chocolates his family company has been making in Cleveland since 1939; Robert Triffin for the marshmallows. A special thank you to Shawn Dougherty for the contact print of a subject he knows I love, a tree with extended roots just hanging on and parallel to fissures in a rock cliff wall.

What a turn out for a first time event. Thank you all for coming. I hope I haven’t missed anyone in this count.
Bob Curtis-------------Bob Curtis
ic-racer----------------Dale Marsh
Lee L-------------------Lee Lumpkin
Flauvius---------------Robert Triffin,
Jbannow---------------Eva & Jeff Bannow
Paul Armstrong--------Paul Armstrong
Peter Spangenberg----Peter Spangenberg
Steckmeyer------------Bob Steckmeyer, Ann Durham (wife),
--------------------------& Gideon (Shih Tzu Dog)
Winger -----------------Bethe Fisher
BILL3075--------------Bill Mitchell
billschwab-------------Bill Schwab
Smieglitz--------------Joe Smigiel
Shawn Dougherty-----Shawn Dougherty
Djkloss-----------------Dorothy Kloss
Nicholas Lindan--------Nicholas Lindan
DeBone 75-------------Les Wall
Mattpallante-----------Matt Pallante
Jp80874---------------John Powers

Twenty people attended. Seven more wanted to come, but had to cancel at the last minute.

Thank you,

John & Dolly Powers

billschwab
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks John... everyone! I had a really good time. Always nice to spend time with old friends as well as meet new ones. Good choice on the weather too John!

PS... Almost forgot my highpoint. The ride through the countryside in John's little Porche Speedster (http://www.specialtyauto.com/PORSCHE.htm) with the top down. (don't think I would've fit otherwise!)

Woo hooo!

ic-racer
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Good work John! It was a fantastic group of people, and a real success!

Jeff Bannow
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
John did a wonderful job hosting (and showing us around to ice cream). Eva & I are both ready to come back next year! Good to see and meet everyone involved - lots of talented individuals there in Ohio and abouts.

We were sorry to have to leave early, but on the positive side, the art fest went off as planned. We even sold 10 prints, which is not bad in the Detroit economy.

Lee L
09-22-2008, 03:12 PM
The ride through the countryside in John's little Porsche Speedster

From the pictures I mistakenly thought that was an EHCSROP. :)

Thanks to John and Dolly for making this gathering possible with your very generous hospitality! It was great to meet so many wonderful people and see such fine work. It was a very nice compensation for my having to miss Photostock last June.

Tell Dolly to get better quickly and thank her for putting up with our comings and goings while she was fighting a cold.

Lee

steckmeyer
09-22-2008, 03:51 PM
John, Dolly, Cindy and Savannah,
Ann, Gideon and I want to thank you for your considerable hospitality. I just got off the phone telling one of my very good friends and extraordinary LF photographer the details. He had considered coming but had conflicts. He is sorry he missed and plans on attending next year. The point of this is please host another Photostock II next year (maybe a warm up weekend some time in between). This was a truly memorable event and invaluable for beginners like us. Thanks again.